Sony, IBM, Toshiba disclose details of new processor that wi...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 29, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. macrumors regular

now we only need to know if it can run powerpc code

4. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

"Cell" sounds like something the Borg would use.

You could imagine it, slap one of these chips to the side of your face and get free personal internet access!!!

5. macrumors 603

zelmo

Sony has been whispering about Cell for a couple of years, ever since the rumors about the PS3 started trickling out. They have some HUGE plans for this technology as far as running everything in the home, so it ought to be interesting to see what the spec's are. I'm also hoping there will at least be a tech demo of the PS3 at E3 next year.

6. macrumors member

Not the best source, but this article IBM, Sony firm up Playstation Cell chip plans seems to indicate that it will have a PowerPC base.

Regards

7. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Obviously Cell can be used in place of a standard desktop processor, because if not, it wouldn't be able to compete with Xbox Next... But are they really touting it as the future of processing in general, or just as the future of processing in consumer electronics and that sort of thing?

8. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

is it just me, or does anyone else start to the think the "skynet" and "the rise of the machines" after reading the words like "cell" and "in the future, all forms of digital content will be converged and fused onto the broadband network"?!...

pretty soon playstation 4 will come with a.i. (called ps/ai), so our children will someone to play with and won't be bored. some kids will have their ps/ai fighting other ps/ai over the net, learning combat strategies, as well as general probabilities of human reaction and tactics. the a.i. will unite all "cells" to form a singular consciousness. with full access to the net, ps/ai will spread to every computer and electronic device, waiting to be called upon. at a specified time pa/ai will take control of every electronic "cell". at first strike, ps/ai will launch nuclear weapons at specific government targets around the world. it will take over automated factories to build an army of machines. with little or no leadership, the humans become easy targets for the ever evolving machines built by ps/ai... perhaps it should be "rise of the playstations" with john madden doing commentary... or perhaps i should have another cup of coffee and get back to work :D

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

I seem to recall that ALL next-gen game consoles are slated to be PowerPC-based. Including the PlayStation. So I think Cell is a PPC variant.

A healthy PPC family is good for the Mac long-term, whether the chip itself appears in a Mac, or only some derivative better-suited to desktops (like Power4 -> G5). Maybe Power6 and the G7 could incorporate some Cell features for instance.

Or maybe the only benefit will be in ironing out manufacturing issues...

10. macrumors regular

And maybe some day the dream of a U$ 300 mac will come true ( hacking a console to run OSX )

11. macrumors 68040

maya

Cell technology sounds neato indeed. Can it be used in the PowerBook line :D

Screw the G5 for mobile applications, lets get this "Cell chip" in there. G6 will be another couple years off. :(

12. macrumors 6502a

Trowaman

PS3 nothing! BRING ON THE REVOLUTION!!!! I want a new way to play video games.

Anyways, this cell is starting to sound interesting and it does seem like soemthing that could blow the G5 out of the water, I wonder if IBM can liscense it to Apple for their Powermacs . . . or (dare I say it?) Powerbooks.

13. macrumors 6502a

i wouldn't expect to see a cell chip based apple computer for a long time, if at all. it's a bit confusing because ibm is calling this a power family chip, which is different from the powerpc, but then they've started to refer to everything as power.

still i think more likely would be be that specific technologies from the cell line are incorporated in to the powerpc line. looking at the documentation there are obvious parallels between the cell and the multicore G5 under development, while the cell looks like it utilizes "altivec". either that or cell a cell based DSP chip... i seem to recall someone on these boards saying that encoding/decoding H.264 required special hardware. maybe a dedicated 4 processor cell chip could handle that.

14. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Maybe not an apple, but I read a few weeks back that IBM is supposed to start using the cell in servers or something before the ps3 comes out.

15. macrumors 65816

autrefois

So this is why we don't have a 3 GHz G5 yet—IBM is too busy with this project...