Sony MDR-EX71SL/WK earbuds- Sound?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sjjordan, Mar 18, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    I bought the Sony MDR-EX71SL/WK earbuds today and the sound is great, but the bass is awful. It sounds tinny, which is what I heard the apple earbud's problems were. It also only has about 1/2 the volume of the original apple earbuds.

Is my product defective? Can anyone else comment on these? Do all the earbuds have such poor bass?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

Mar 29, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    i have some of these and don't have this prob at all. the bass is clear and the volume i get out of them is higher than normal buds (i boiught em for use with a pda that had low output)
  3. comictimes macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Berkeley, California
    I had some of these also, and I was actually impressed by the base. It was really full in mine...

However, in both my pair and those of a friend who also got these, after only a couple of weeks one ear just randomly stopped working. When we traded in our set, for both of us, one ear stopped working on the new pair too. Has this happened to anyone else, or do we just have horrible luck?
  4. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    Sounds like you don't have them in your ear properly. You could try using the smallest rubber attachments on them, that solved it for me.
  5. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    I had that problem with a pair of MDR/EX51s after about 1 year of of 40hr/week use. I assumed they just developed a short. I ended up buying the 71s as a replacement.

With both the 51s and 71s, I have been impressed by the bass and the comfort.
  6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I am on my second pair of 71's - the first developed the "short" in one ear after about a year and a half of every day use. I've never thought they were lacking in bass at all - it does sound like you do not have them fitted properly. If you are using them with an iPod you can also use the EQ function to boost the bass....oh yeah!
  7. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2003
    United States
    Thanks guys! I tried the smaller buds, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I couldn't believe that extra milimeter I could squeeze them in my ear made such a difference. The bass is fantastic and they are so much louder!

Thanks again for your help!
  8. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    it's amazing how many people overlook the fact that in order to get good sound out of these kinds of "headphones" you need a proper fit. i wouldn't be surprised if 95% of all complaints were really because the user wasn't knowledgeable.
  9. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    There is a great article on iPodlounge about fitting these correctly.
  10. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    The reason they short is because you yank them out of your ears from the cord, shorting out the phones.

You need to grab hold of the bud when removing it from your ear

11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    This is a very common mistake with "canal phones." People think they are ear buds. They actually need to go into your ear canal. If they don't get a tight seal, there will be no bass. Alot of times they just need to be pushed further into your ears.

I have Shure e2c's and it took me quite a bit of practice to get a good seal.