Sony Memory Stick Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jovian9, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I have a question about Sony Memory sticks. My wife is getting a Sony DSC-T1 Digital Camera for Christmas. This camera takes Memory Stick Duo Media (comes with 32mb stick). I'm looking to buy another stick (256mb or 512mb) so that she can take lots of pics. I'm a little confused on the media.

Sony Memory Stick - this is what I have in my Sony DCR TRV-320 Digital Video Camera (for taking still pics).....so I know this is an older format and the actual physical size of the stick is bigger than the new ones

-Sony Memory Stick Magic Gate - ??????
    -Sony Memory Stick Select - ??????
    -Sony Memory Stick Pro - ??????
    -Sony Memory Stick Duo - smaller physical size and this is what my wifes new camera comes with
    -Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo - ????
    -Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo High Speed - ???

I understand that I can use the bottom 3 of these in her camera. But what is the difference? It comes with Memory Stick Duo.......what advantage would 'Pro Duo' give or 'Pro Duo High Speed' give? Would either of these provide advantages in processing the pictures quicker so that more pictures can be taken in a short amount of time.

Thanks for any help!

2. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Is there anyone that uses a Sony DSC-T1 DigiCam that can answer this question or recommend a certain memory stick for it?
    Thanks!

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I don't have the camera but I do have an older sony camera so I know a little bit about their memory sticks. The original memory stick topped out at 128 MB which wasn't bad when they came out with it, but doesn't cut it anymore. So they came out with the Pro sticks that could go to 1 GB (I think).

The duo, like you said is a smaller physical size. I think that the Pro just offers higher capacity, and the HighSpeed is just that, it allows you to record your image to the media much quicker so you can get back to shooting.

Just FYI, Magic Gate just had some copy protection stuff ss that you can't steal music or something like that. It's mostly used in their MP3 players.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You can use almost every memory stick it newer sonys, but you need an adapter for some of it. If you haven't got the t-1 yet, then I would wait because the T1 is replaced with the new T3 here in europe a month ago.
    The T1 is using a duo stick and the duo pro is a faster version of duo. If you need info on digital cameras check out www.steves-digicams.com, he has tons of info and great reviews!

5. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I looked up the T3 and if the style had been the same it would have been a possibility.........but my wife loves the style of the DSC-T1.

6. VincentVega macrumors regular

As far as I can gather (I've got the DSC-W1, which I love - it's great - it went to Iceland with me in September and was flawless):

- "Duo" - small size, small capacity (64, 128MB).
    - "Duo Pro" - small size, large capacity (up to 1GB).
    - "Duo Pro High-Speed" - quicker version of the "Duo Pro" (somewhat obviously(!)).

Pop along to this page on the Sony website. It lets you select your camera and tells you the type of accessories that are compatible with it.

I've got two 512MB Memory Stick Pros for my camera (not the "Duo" ones). For the T1, I'd suggest a 256MB or 512MB Memory Stick Pro Duo. The high speed ones are around $20 more expensive. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a high speed one - I found the speed of the "normal" ones perfectly acceptable.

Try this website in addition - it's all about the glory that is the Memory Stick.

7. Jovian9 thread starter macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Thank you! Just the info I was looking for!