Sony Micro Vault 128mb help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Moria, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Moria macrumors regular

I've just found my dads old USB drive. It says it works with OS 9.2 or later but when I plug it in the light flashes 3 times and then goes off. It's meant to appear on the desktop but nothing happens. Does anyone else have one of these? Do they actually work with OS X, it was made in 2002...

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

See if it shows up in Disk Utility. It might be locked with some Sony windows-only software and might need a good reformat...

3. Moria thread starter macrumors regular

It's not there. There isn't anything in System Profiler either. It doesn't even show up as if something's plugged in. When I plug it into the keyboard USB socket a message pops up on the screen saying that it needs to be plugged into a more powerful USB socket so it is recognising something is there....

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ye that sounds good. :)

I have a memory stick that doesn't always work when you plug it into a computer, the same thing happens to what you described (it went through the wash! woops! :eek: ) But if I keep plugging it in and out eventually it catches on and works. It is terrible with Windows, needs constant unplugging at times, but seems usually ok with OS X.

This is a less convincing less fancy and less technical solution, but every bit helps! (I hope!) :D

5. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Mine did something similar. Specially on XP, when I pluggd it in it would flash then go off. XP would then make that 'failed' noise that it does when you plug a USB device into it and it fails to install or something. It would come up with an error saying there was a problem installling/mounting the USB device. So by doing my before mentioned step of keep plugging it in and out, naturally it was solved!! Have you got an XP machine to which to try it on?

6. Moria thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but it says it failed to install and wont do anything after that, even if I unplug it then try again. My dad's just told me he never got it working...

On a similar note, I've got an old laptop hard drive in a case so it plugs into the USB but OS X wont pick it up or anything? This does work on my XP maching though...

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

In that case it might be just simply dead then, I don't know.

8. Moria thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think it must be.

The other hard drive I was talking about has started showing up as IDE to USB. But I still can't do anything with/to it. It doesn't show up in Disk Utility either.