Sony & MSFT feel the twitch as Apple's Jobs enters Disney

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Iyan, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Iyan macrumors newbie

Now, after successfully running PIXAR for 20 years, Jobs merged the king of animation film makers to Disney. With 6% Disney share, he automatically becomes the member of Disney Board.

By merging with Pixar, Disney will hold 100% of profit from PIXAR's blockbuster movies, such as Toy Story I and II, A Bug's life, Finding Nemo, Incredible, and the upcoming Cars.

By agreeing to merging Pixar with Disney, what Jobs is going to get: APPLE's iTune Music Store will become the only online distributor for all of Disney's movies.

Both Sony and MSFT have online music stores but with virtually no presence of Disney's content, are people still going to be attracted by these stores at all?

That's it, from Silicon Valley to Hollywood, Jobs puts his impact on both technology and entertainment. Take this as fact, Apple will grow into a media/technology company well positioned for the future.

With the help of IBM, MSFT crushed APPLE in late 1980s and early 1990s. Ironically IBM's PC business is over and Apple is regrowing and expanding.

So Apple or MSFT, guess who will last longer or make a stronger presence in the future? Let's bet on it.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Six percent? Perhaps there's something I don't understand. I thought Steve was now majority shareholder.

Not to mention all the content of ABC and its affiliated networks like ESPN.

Well, there's more to entertainment than just Disney. But Steve has positioned himself masterfully. It was a brilliant move.

That is, if Steve is majority shareholder.

3. Project macrumors 68020

He isnt the majority shareholder, he has the largest single shareholding.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's what I was afraid of. I've been hearing the term "majority shareholder" thrown around a lot in the last few days, and I thought that wasn't very likely.

At 6%, Steve isn't in a position to decide anything on his own, then. At best he'll have to sway a majority of the shareholders. That worries me because Disney has been an extremely ossified company for a while now.