Sony ordered to halt US PlayStation sales

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Mar 27, 2005.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

OUCH. :(

I may perfer the DS over the PSP, but the PS2 is a very nice console and Sony has a number of good games going for it.
    This is going to hurt Sony very bad. :(

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,12678784^15338^^nbv^15306-15321,00.html

Both the Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo games are included in those suspended titles.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

interesting indeed, wonder how the appeals will pan out for Sony, i had a PS2 and it was an alright console, but i guess it just wasnt for me, neither is Gamecube, i might try an XBox eventually, but doubt it

the only good thing is that this is old hardware for Sony, bad news for the software titles now though, wonder if this will affect the release/launch date of the PS3

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I don't know if i'm happy or sad. I mean sony does make a lot of good products, but they treat their customers like ****, they just don;t give a rats ass. Look at the way their handling the psp release. I own many sony products, and feel they are top notch, but they relly don't support the customers or back their products up like a lot of other companies do.

4. Teddy Noback macrumors newbie

Teddy Noback

I worked at an intellectual property law firm and Microsoft was one of our biggest clients. Matter of fact, we were defending a patent suit related to the X-Box. We have been very successful with appeals in IP cases. The outcome of patent suit can be determined in large part by how the judge contrues the claim terms in the patent. They don't always get it right. If he misconstrued the claim terms in dispute, then the jury's verdict is meaningless. Sony may still win this one, although they still take a hit because patent litigation costs millions. Sony can also "design around" the patents in order to avoid the possibility of litigation in the future or to minimize the timeframe for royalties and licensing fees. It's really hard to predict without a detailed knowledge of the case facts. Immersion could have been issued some bad patents. It's unfortunate that companies must spend millions to prove that the US Patent Office screwed up. Cost of doing business, I guess.

5. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

This only affects PS2, right? At least it didn't hit the PSP, it might have killed it. PS2 is on its way out anyway, but PS3 will probably still have the same technology...

Personally I think M$ treats their customers worse making them jump through so many hoops to even use their software (ie. activation ect.) + the new "premium" content on Live on top of having to buy the games full price, buy the adaptor, pay to play online anyway and having additionally to pay to participate in games that you've paid to play to pay to play(PSO)...I guess you can do that, though, when you're seemingly the only console to make games for people over age 13...(it would be sad if this hurt Sony too badly since they offer such different games than nintendo, and even MS.)

6. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Well, if it didn't hit the PSP, then what is this?

"Sony Corp. (SNE: news, chart, profile) plans to appeal a patent case ruling by a federal court on Thursday to suspend U.S. sales of its PlayStation Portable, or PSP, handheld game device, and pay around $90 million to Immersion Corp. in damages, Dow Jones Newswires reported, citing a Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. spokesman."

(CBS Marketwatch)

Link

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Not good news for Sony. I wonder what the actual products involved in the ban are.

If this goes through, those PSP's, PS2's and the games will be worth a lot of money on ebay. Supply and demand.

Anyone know where we can get more detailed info? Every story I can find is as vague as can be.

8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I am trying to figure out why it took 5+ years for this law suit to even come out. It almost sounds like they are trying to make money off of PS populatiryt

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

this is going to be dropped.

don't worry, your PS2 isn't going anywhere, and neither are the games.

10. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Force feedback is an unbalanced weight on a motor, right? Didn't that game Operation back in the 80's feature that? And that certainly was gaming feedback. Prior art?

11. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

The game of Operation is picking body parts and other things from a "patient". If your "scalpel" touches the edge of a hole where in your treasure lies, then a buzzer goes off and the patients nose lights up.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

if psp was going to hurt ipod sales then im happy but if it was not i really do not care cuz i use the box of x

13. PixelFactory macrumors regular

Sounds like a reporter getting his stories mixed up. The PSP doesn't use force feedback and that is what Immersion develops.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

if only... :rolleyes:

just kick out Sony of the console market, let Nintendo and Microsoft go head to head. bring back Nintendo vs. Sega. that was fun. 3's a crowd maaan.

the Playstation only exists because of the botched efforts for a CD player for the Snes. the PS1 is nothing more than a bastard child of 2 parents not in love. poor child -_- (ps. actually i like the PS1)

15. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heck no!

The XBox 2 sucks WAAAAY to badly.

I'd much rather PS3 vs Revolution, Better Graphics vs New Gameplay, than XBox 2 vs Revolution, first-to-launch vs superior-in-every-way.

But I do agree, that three console makers is just too many.

16. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Yeah, that's what I thought. The PSP should keep Sony afloat while we wait for the PS3.

I agree. Nintendo was supposed to have the Playstation. Sega, the Dreamcast. Sony was supposed to continue making good TVs and Microsoft, a crappy OS. Well, we can't have everything.