Sony ordered to stop selling Playstations!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by qzak, Mar 28, 2005.

1. qzak macrumors 6502

covers the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, two game controllers and 47 software titles. they can keep selling them till after the appeal.

link to cnn

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I hope Sony wins. The Playstation has been out for years. Why did they wait untill now to sue? Also, many controllers besides Sony's vibrate like that, they need to sue all of them to then.

3. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I'm not familiar with the details of this case, but if Sony did indeed infringe on a patent, then the patent holder deserves a cut of the profits. Sure, there are a lot of similar devices out there. But that's what patents do. They protect what makes a product unique.

Afterall, Apple didn't invent the wheel. But that still doesn't mean that I can copy the scroll wheel...

4. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Me thinks some patent holder is about to become very very rich...

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i can't see Sony stopping production of the PS2... this is just stupid.

how long has the PS2 been out... isn't it about 4 years now? and it took this long for that company to wake up to some suposed 'patent infringement'? i hope they don't get a cent. :mad:

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind a company suing Sony because of their patent, but I don't like it when they wait for years upon years to do so. Now when they look at the case, the company can say, "You see how much money Sony has made over the years using our technology?" They couldn't say that if Sony only released PS2 last month with the vibrating controller.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Does anyone here actually know when the lawsuit was originally filed? The CNN article said that the decision on Thursday reaffirmed a ruling from LAST YEAR... so the case has been in the courts for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if this has been cooking for three years or more now.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Hopefully this case will be properly adjudicated. If an infringement has occurred then the wrong party deserves a day in court. Wouldn't want to have to decide such a case.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Sony is not the only company to use a vibrating controller, Nintendo and Microsoft use them too, are they being sued as well?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. It may be that Nintendo and Microsoft used some other method for force feedback that doesn't violate the patent. If they did, then...
    2. The patent holder will probably wait until Case #1 is resolved before moving on to other cases (since they want to avoid unnecessary legal expenses if they're not going to win). And, even so...
    3. Winning against one company may cause the other companies (Nintendo, Microsoft, et al) to just cough up the money, rather than go to trial.

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Option 3 is what this company is going for with a little from option 2. :)

12. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

errm...didn't the ps1 controller vibrate in like '96? didnt the n64 and even gb color have rumble paks available? why wait?

13. sarae macrumors 6502

I don't know a lot about this case either, but the chancellor of my university was part of the team that holds the patent and is suing. Read about this about two years ago, but I guess I figured it was resolved. Here's a link from 2003:

link

Says the patent is from '86. Don't know if they took legal action beforehand, or what.

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

the PSX (what the American PS1 was before it become PS1 they had a diffent letter for Eurpeon one and another for the Japen one) vibrating controls and the PS2 are more or less the exact same ones since they are cross plate forum I have used a PS2 control in my PSX and my PSX control in a PS2 just fine.

I think they are just getting a little greedy and the fact that it taken them what 8+ years before they did anything about this make me wonder if it not just them seeing a chance to get rich

15. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Not sure what you mean. PS was the first one in Japan, then came the PS2 (and PS1 was coined to refer to the older model - specifically the software) and lastly the PSX, which was also a hard disk recorder and was the last to date.

Not sure if the original PS controller vibrated, but the PS2 and PSX controllers do - wish I could cash in on some patent infringement or another...

16. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Maybe the company has only just discovered that the device in the dual shock controller is an infringement. I'd image that the Nintendo Rumble Pak (for N64, which came out first) and the device inside the GameCube and Xbox controllers use a different system and are therefore ok. It seems a little odd for it to all surface now though. And ordering Sony to stop sellings its life blood to one of the biggest markets does seem a little harsh. At least they're allowed to wait until the appeal first...

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I think that was for a seperate issue, and had more to do with the PS2 console than the controller.

18. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

The PSX are older than the PS1 that sell now. The PSX stood for American verson of the ogrinal playstation I want to say the Eurpean one as like the PSA (but I honeslty have not clue about the it). I have a generatoin 2 or 3 of it but is the is PSX. The PSX does not have a hard drive that can be attact to it. they my of recyled the name but the PSX organl referd to the amercan PS1 before PS2. (it matter for some codes and cheat as the PSX verson had diffece codes and cheats

the ps1 offical came out after the PS2.

By gen2 of the PS1 had the vibratoin controls standard with them.

19. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

This is just speculation but the part which the dual shock 2 may be infringing on is not the actual vibration of the controller but the pressure sensitivity of the x, square, triangle, circle buttons. I'm pretty sure that is something both the xbox and gamecube controllers lack. This might actually make sense if those 47 games use this feature. As far as I'm aware metal gear solid 2 and 3 of which I've played use this feature. Also as a side note and this may not be true but a friend of mine mentioned Microsoft owns a part of Immersion Corp.

20. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Yeah, I read in a recent article that as a result of some previous court ruling between Microsoft and Immersion, Microsoft now owns 10% of Immersion. It has something to do with the rumble technology in the xbox joysticks.

At least Microsoft was smart enough to settle with Immersion before things got out of hand, like Sony's situation has. Microsoft has a lot of experience in bumming off other people's technology, so they make sure they rip other people's innovations the right way. :rolleyes:

21. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

The PSX was launched here in Japan and included a built in HD recorder for recording TV and such (160GB capacity). It coined the 'X' to compete with X-Box in terms of naming. PSx plays standard PS2 software. There have been many PS2 models - in different limited edition colours, etc but only one model of the PSX in JApan.

I am surprised Sony has used differen names for different releases and the same name for different releases aslo. i will look into the evolution to see what matches what in each market...

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually MS did settle with the company on the patent claim. The article I saw said nothing about Nintendo though.