Sony Pda Using Palm

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eckslusive, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    Does Mac OS X come with software or drivers or whatever to work with the Sony PDAs? Cause Sony's site listed Windows OSs but the Palm site said that it does support Mac (via a comparison) i dont know which one to believe??
  2. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: Sony Pda Using Palm

i believe isync is suppose to work with probably some of the newer models. i dont us pda's so im not sure.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    The new version of iSync works with Sony's CLIEs
  4. yamadataro macrumors 6502

This is my personal experiece and not the official stuff: CLIEs with Palm OS 4 worked fine with Palm Desktop 4 without any additional software. But when it comes to Newer CLIEs with OS 5, you need to use the MissingSync software for CLIE. I also tried to use iSync with my NV70 (OS 5), but they didn't recognize each other.

I've had enough struggled with Mac/CLIE. So let me know if you need more info.

EDIT: I meant NX70 instead of NV70.
  5. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    Should I look for a PDA with 4.1 or 5. Whats the difference?
  6. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Palm OS 5 pdas are running on much faster ARM based processors--TI OMAP and XScale in this case. The OS 4.x palms run anywhere from 25Mhz-66Mhz but the OS5 ones are 175Mhz-200Mhz
  7. yamadataro macrumors 6502

The older models (be it CLIE or Palm-made) with OS 4 can only run on very slow Motorara chips. The newer ones like CLIE NX series and Palm Tangsten with OS 5 can only run on very fast chips which enables you to go totally multimedia.

Although OS 5 seems to be the future, some apps for OS 4 and prior can NOT run properly on OS 5. At least for now.

If you are shooting for fancy-fancy multimedia and networking functions, go for OS5. Other-wise, if you need basic traditional PDA stuff, stay with OS 4 and make your life simpler (and save some money) :D
  8. dwishbone macrumors regular

Jul 24, 2002
    On the Moon
    I have a sony CLIE. works perfectly with iSync and Palm Desktop 4.
  9. dprlynch macrumors newbie

Oct 2, 2002
    Houston TX
    I've been using a sony clie sj-30, with palm os 4. You can sync it just fine, as far as syncing info and loading programs.

However, you won't be able to use the Clie programs (paint, video, pictures) or Word-2-Go unless you purchase The Missing Sync.
  10. dethl macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No problems here...

I'm using a modified N710C (to OS 4), syncs fine with palm desktop 4 and iSync. You may need to shell out the bucks for MissingSync, but its worth it.
  11. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    I thinking between
    Sony Clie PEGNX70V
    Sony Clie PEGNR70V
  12. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I guess NR70V makes sense if it's much cheaper than NX70V. But, them again, NR series is OS 4 based and slow.

I own a NX70V. It's a solid PDA. I haven't used built-in camera much, but the processor speed is a must-have and the WiFi card capability is nice. The only downside to it is that some major sofwtare like AvantGo are not compatible with OS 5 yet. Oh and the big Hi-res+ screen is a huge plus.

I guess Tangten is all about the compact-ness right?
  13. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 12, 2002
    yamadataro, does palm OS 5 work with OSX and/or iSync flawlessly? or do i have to download some program like The missing Sync.
  14. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I haven't tried much tweaking with iSync. I had a MissingSync-instaled Mac and iSync removed it when I put it on. My Palm OS 5 Clie stopped responding to hotsync, so I uninstalled iSync and reinstalled MissingSync. There might be a way to use iSync and MissingSync together, but I don't know how to. For now I've said iSync a good bye. Very happy with the MissingSync.

I sync Entourage and Clie (instead of with PalmDesktop), so, at least for me, iSync makes things complicated. That's a part of why I'm staying away from it.

EDIT: and yeah, Palm5 + MissingSync + OS X (10.2.3) work very well together. It's beautiful!