Sony PDA's And Macs.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I heard Sony PDA's are generally not mac friendly.....I'm thinkin about gettin the CLie SJ22 or the new SJ25. But was told that Palm's are generally more Mac friendly....what does that mean? That I can't hot sync with a Mac or sumthin.. Are there solutions and work arounds....preferably free workarounds.

2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

my understanding of the sony-mac compatibility is that you can use a sony with a mac, but NOT the included sony software. including mem. stick mounting software and other such stuff. the big workaround is to try using isync and possibly the palmone desktop (palmone=palm software, palmsourse sg=palm os).
    there is also mark/space's the missing sync, but that does cost money...
    you could always buy one, and if it doesnt work exchange it for one that does. i strongly recommend using best buy, as it will hurt them if you have to return it :)
    (ahh, the pleasures of bitter former employment)
    --carly

3. Cheap-Chopstix thread starter macrumors member

Hmm...so some of Sony's software won't work on the mac......I think I may start looking into gettin a Palm Tungsten E instead. I will have my PC still but I just want to have the same capabilities on both mac and PC. Dont want to have to buy more software to get it to work right on the mac. Price wise I will probably pay 70 canadian dollars more but I think it may be worth it. Anyone have a Clie on the mac and are satisfied with it???

4. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

cliés without a DSP chip (without mp3) will sync out of the box, just buy missing sync: http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html

you can mount the memorystick, the clié appears like a mp3player in itunes, like a source in iphoto and so on... great app, worth every $

5. Cheap-Chopstix thread starter macrumors member

Hmm....the more I think about it i think i am gonna go for a Palm Tungsten E....for about 70 (can)dollars more I get mp3 play back, sd card expansion, more software ( Docs to go) and better compatibility with Mac ( no missing sync crap). The only thing I like about the SJ22 is the general design, jog dial and screen. Anyone have personal experience with any of these ?