Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkojima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
I'm looking to buy an iSync-compatible PDA, and the Sony Clie Palm-compatible models really appeal to me. Does anybody know if the Sony Clie handhelds will work with a Mac?

I know they should, because they run the Palm OS, but being advertised only in PC realms I wanted to find out if users of this forum had real applied experience with these PDAs.

If it helps, I'm running Jaguar (10.2.4) on a Powerbook 867 (15").

Thanks in advance!

junkionxl

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2003
Delaware
i don't think soo…

The sad part is i think that the sony clie will not work with the mac. They are more for windows. I wish they would support the mac but i guess not.:mad:

dprlynch

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
Houston TX
I have a Sony Clie SJ30 and an iBook running 10.2.4. You'll be able to do all the basic palm stuff (To Do, Memo, Contacts, Datebook, installing programs). You'll also be able to use iSync.

You won't be able to use the Clie features unless you use a program called The Missing Sync. You also won't be able to use AvantGo (but I don't miss that program).

hacurio1

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2002
Yes you can!!!

There are a lot of programs out there in the web that will allow you to use (most.....not all) of the features of the Sony clie. isync will also help you with the basic stiff like, to do list, address book, etc. But you can also connect a USB memory stick reader on your power book in order to download some of the pictures (if the clie your interested on is the NX70V or NZ90 which have cameras built in.) or put some MP3’s, so that you can listen to them trough the clie.

jkojima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2002
Thanks everybody for your posts. I'm looking at the basic Clie model (SL10) as good compromise between the inexpensive (but limited) Palm Zire and the more pricey Palm M500. The basics are really all I want, but it's great to know that products like The Missing Sync exist.

I'll probably go pick it up tonight. Thanks again for your input!

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Yes...but...

yes, you can use the Clie with your mac using The Missing Sync...but...

It still doesn't interface elegantly with the mac. There are still work-arounds and issues that you'll need to chase down. It can get frustrating.

I like my Clie, but those who claim that we don't need an Apple-branded PDA either have no personal vision as to what a PDA can be used for, or have never used a Newton.

In the existing PDA world, mac-users are treated like a red-headed step-child. It is time for us to have an ultra-portable computing solution that is as elegant as our chosen desktop platform.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
i have the nx70v and what a 600.00 nightmare that thing is... first off ive had three of them, all with varying defects... fortuantely i have a circuit city warranty that takes care of that... os x and isync do not recognize any part of it either which pisses me off, even my crummy xp box wont install certain programs to it for me... so anyway after that rant, i suppose i could try the missing sync, but im not sure that would be worth the cost vs. aggrivation factor... anyway... tim whats the best newton out there and about how much would i expect to see it cost??? thanks...

jiholl

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2003
NR70 V Memory Stick - mountable disk?

Hi,

I have a sony NR70 V, and now a 1ghz Ti powerbook - osX

If I have a memory stick in the clie, and I connect via its usb cable to the powerbook...will the memory stick show up like a drive....i.e. can i drag MP3s, etc...to it and back? Do I need missing sync to do that? I sync the clie with a PC laptop at work, so really don't need to sync fully with the powerbook...have also heard that you can get data problems with palm based PDAs if you sink with more than one computer?

Thoughts?

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
Re: NR70 V Memory Stick - mountable disk?

I read in a magazine (macuser in fact) that the Clie NZ90 will not work with the mac unless you have an infra-red port, they didnt mention anything about the memory stick so if that works then i might consider getting...

Originally posted by jiholl

If I have a memory stick in the clie, and I connect via its usb cable to the powerbook...will the memory stick show up like a drive....i.e. can i drag MP3s, etc...to it and back? Do I need missing sync to do that?Thoughts?

Also im pretty sure this doesnt work...

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
i have the nr70 (the flip-aound one without the camera), and after some struggle with The Missing Sync and Wordsmith, it now works perfectly with OS X and iSync.

i still can't get the MS to mount through the Clie, but I have a separate reader for that.

i basically use it as a mobile notebook. i'm a writer/editor, and i like to have my address book, calendar and word processing documents synced with my laptop.

it comes highly recommended.

Jaykay

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2002
Ireland
This is a quote from the February edition of MacUser.

Missing Sync is also required for the NX70V. And here's the main rub : we could'nt get it to synchronise with our mac via USB, either directly or using the cradle.For the most part it didnt show up as a USB device (although it did show up intermittently). However, with missing sync software installed, you can synchronise your mac and NX70 using IrDa infrared. In other words, you'll need an IrDa Powerbook, or external IrDa connection device to use an NX70V.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.