Sony PlayStation 3 for 2005?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ipacmm, May 12, 2005.

1. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Just saw this at engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000137043182/#comments

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The cost of Blu-ray drives in 2005 should make that an impossibility unless they have a huge price tag or cut out Blu-ray...or sell at a big loss.

3. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I hope this is not a fact. If it is, it may "force" Nintendo to release their console aswell, and the end consumer will be stuck with badder quality. I'm not interested in having a half-assed Revolution, thank you very much - so Sony better wait or I'll smack some ass! :mad:

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I hope this isn't true too. I want the XBox to get the "Dreamcast Effect" :D

5. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

Don't think it will happen.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why not?

A ) They're rushing it out the door, missing key technologies.
    B ) Sony's hype has people believing the PS3 is literally 3x more powerful than the XBox. Same thing happened with the Dreamcast- people thought the PS2 was 3x faster than the Dreamcast if not more.

7. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

it also had to do with internal things I'm trying to find out exactly but the ps2 wasn't the major reason of the DC getting pulled and sega stop making video game consoles. it had to more then just the ps2 if I remmeber correctly.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, the PS2's hype was the major reason. People held off because Sony convinced the world that the next generation didn't begin until the PS2 came because it was so vastly more powerful. Turns out it wasn't :D

9. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

one of the reasons but not the major reason.

10. ArcaneDevice macrumors 6502a

after today I think Sony have to do something. I don't think Sony has even come close to selling the PS3 yet. Saying we've got a really powerful CPU has done little to promote the machine. If MS can get the Live network running as planned by launch date the comunity will grow very quickly. Before, the cost was slightly against the Live system and Sony got some numbers with their free online games. Not so any more. Unless Sony has a good gaming community idea to rival it or at least something utterly mindblowing gameplay wise, I think they will drop behind in sales numbers.

The better technology doesn't always win. If Sony does something right now it's going to be lost in the current 360 hype and if they wait until too late in the year it's going to get lost in 360 release date hype.

I hope for the future of PS that they are sitting on some great marketing plan.

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not to mention the fact that the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format consolidation is underway (thank God), and no one can do ANYTHING until that all gets straightened out. For Sony to go ahead and use a Blu-ray drive without HD-DVD support built in would be a HUGE mistake.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No it wouldn't. Sony could use Blu-ray for Playstation games, its just the PS3 would then be unable to play the new standard so no HD movies.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heh, anyone who watched the MTV showing should be turned off, not hyped...

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I think if the Xbox 360 debuts at a price consumers can't afford, it'll likely have the dreamcast effect, if it debuts at something more reasonable, we could see a closer race between sony and m$ than we're seeing now. I wonder if they'll be able to get linux on THIS thing!?

15. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

jesus christ, stop using that age old half assed argument about the Dreamcast beign more powerful then the PS2. IT WASN'T. The PS2 WAS more powerful then the dreamcast.

16. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I believe there is two important options for sony.

1) Realise the ps3 around christmas.

2) Realise the ps3 after christmas with newer technology and play the catch up game.

What would you prefer? Or would technology still be the same by 2006?

17. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Just to set the record straight, the Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 were even when it came to audio-visuals. Dreamcast had more memory and superior audio while PS2 had newer graphics chips and DVD. Also the PS2 was harder to program for while experienced developers were doing wonders with the Dreamcast in 3rd generation software.

What really killed the DreamCast was lack of support from Electronic Arts, the marketing was terrible and since the success of the MegaDrive/Genesis SEGA had lost money in flop after flop of new hardware. 32X CD-Rom anyone?

SONY should not rush anything to the market because the launch software will suffer under such conditions. Look at the Nintendo DS to see a perfect example of this. The re-designed PS2 can come down in price and SONY can focus their marketing on their would-be 'iPod Killer' the PSP. The number of people who dump their PS2s for X-Box 360s between the end of 2005 and the middle of 2006 is negligable.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I know it was. But Sony made people think it was vastly more powerful, when in reality it was just a bit more powerful.

19. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

That was irrelevant to the average consumer. Soccer moms and the like caught on the PS2 wave when news first hit that it was going to be the year's hard to find item. When news media reported about the PS2 shortage, the average consumers automatically assumed that it's superior without Sony's influence.

20. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Wrong. This has actually been settled already. They are keeping the Blu-Ray discs - but are adopting Toshiba's software.

21. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

22. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Yes, it would appear as if the settlement remains, infact, 'not settled'. That's awesome.

+ 1 Matsushita.

There were reports earlier this week - suggesting that Sony (B-R camp) and Toshiba (HD-DVD camp) had come to terms - and that Joe Consumer needn't worry any longer.

So, I guess we wait another month...

23. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

It must be awesome, being perfect and right all the time. You're a real bundle of sunshine around these parts, dumping on every console conversation that isn't praising Nintendo. :rolleyes:

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay a few things.

The first one was part of an arguement. The second one was me saying that Sony wouldn't be making a mistake (not dumping on the console, is it?). The third was me saying how the MTV showing SUCKED- Don't tell me you're going toa rgue with that? I have yet to meet one person who enjoyed it. It wasn't an XBox bash, it was an MTV bash. The fourth one was me agreeing with someone.

Also, I'm rather looking forward to the PS3. I'm not bashing everything non-Nintendo. Before the MTV showing I honestly was trying to be unbiased. I was thinking, "Okay, its coming out before the other consoles, it's pretty thin, has multimedia capabilities, maybe it'll be good? Maybe I'll buy one while I wait for the Revolution?" while the XBox 360 logo appeared on the screen. When they pulled it out I thought, "Wow, that's small."

That was the last positive thought I had through the entire showing. MTV just ruined it.

Next thing: Look...I'm autistic (Asperger's Syndrome). My social skills and wording aren't the best. I talk too much.

With my long posts, I'm honestly not trying to be a know it all. Just insert an IIRC before you read my posts. If you disagree with something I say, don't get annoyed at me, just correct me and tell me why I'm wrong. I appreciate it. I've learned more from debating people and them correcting me than from any other source.

So if you disagree with me; just correct me, and tell me why I'm wrong.
    Thanks. Sorry.

25. Surreal macrumors 6502a

how did you start this thread?

i posted this around 12 new york time, but i had to post in a different thread. i knew it was off topic but said i couldnt start a thread.