Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160602-ipad_gaming.jpg

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) on Sony's plans to develop a new lineup of handheld devices to compete against Apple's iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
Threatened by Apple Inc.'s growing stable of portable devices, Sony Corp. is developing a new lineup of handheld products, including a smart phone capable of downloading and playing PlayStation games, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Japanese electronics giant also has a project under way to develop a portable device that blurs distinctions among a netbook, an e-reader and a PlayStation Portable, or PSP. The device is designed to compete against multifunction products such as Apple's coming iPad tablet, these people said.
The initiative seems to be an expansion of an effort revealed last year, with Apple's forthcoming iPad now serving as yet another target for Sony. According to today's report, Sony is targeting a 2010 launch for these devices, although specifications and pricing are currently unknown.

The devices will reportedly be designed to take advantage of Sony long-standing leadership position in mobile gaming while also leveraging the company's new media service due for launch this month as a competitor to Apple's iTunes Store. Sony has felt increasing pressure as Apple and third-party developers have been increasingly positioning the iPhone, and particularly the iPod touch, as gaming devices. The iPad, which will be able to run iPhone games as well as iPad-specific applications, obviously offers yet another venue for quality gaming experiences.

Article Link: Sony Preparing New Handheld Devices to Take On Apple

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I'd love to see what Sony can do, hopefully with a more focused and sustained effort.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Running what lousy desktop OS scaled down to run on a tablet device?

What a joke. Seen it all before.

Bring on the "iPad Killers."

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
The devices will reportedly be designed to take advantage of Sony long-standing leadership position in mobile gaming

:confused:

Pretty sure Nintendo has held the leadership position in mobile gaming since the original Gameboy to the DSi. PSP sales don't come close to the sales Nintendo's mobile gaming devices.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Will be interesting to see what they do, but I am not expecting much of Sony. Everything they have done in the mobile space has been quite lackluster.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
In my opinion, gaming is actually one of those few features, where the iPad will succeed. For people like me, who don't even see the need for a Playstation or wouldn't have a Wii, the iPad is ideal. Oops, that come out the wrong way!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
:confused:

Pretty sure Nintendo has held the leadership position in mobile gaming since the original Gameboy to the DSi. PSP sales don't come close to the sales Nintendo's mobile gaming devices.

Same reaction to the statement - it's simply false. Perhaps the author consoles, not mobile?

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah blah, blah, blah...

Sony stuffs are good but can not compete with Apple.

The Vaio was supposed to be the competitor for the Powerbook.

Sony can come with what ever they want regarding computer peripherals but if some oen need a table won't look for Sony, it will look for Apple.

Sony is good for TVs, DVD playeras and cameras, that is their field.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Sony is having a hard time competing with Microsoft. What makes them think they could compete with Apple or Google?

Sony is not a one-trick pony. In what way do they compete with Google? Perhaps Google has its name on a few phones now, but that is small change compared to the revenue, these giants generate. At least, with Apple it's not just phones, but portable computers and television boxes too.

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
I hope Sony does well.. It'll only make Apple push technology even further ..

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Good for Sony. Smaller handheld devices are their forté, but I don't see them taking over the tablet market. This is largely going to be a software battle, and they're atrocious at UI design and flow, IMO.

AgingGeek

macrumors regular
May 21, 2007
Sony's been making hand held devices for years! It's not about the devices, Sony. It's about the integration, ease of use, and CONTENT management.

Don't you watch the keynotes by Jobs?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I hope Sony does well.. It'll only make Apple push technology even further ..

If I had a dime for every time I've heard that. That, and the tired "competition is good" line.

"I hope ABC company does well, because that will force/push/compel Apple to innovate."

The thing is, Apple has been "pushing technology further" on their own for years now, and in fact, Apple is usually the one forcing everyone else to up their game.

Apple doesn't respond to market pressures. Apple goes its own way and everyone else follows when they see Apple's success in these new or heretofore untapped areas.

DARKJ3DI

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Dunedin, New Zealand
Sony is a has-been.

Its Walkman line crumbled with competition from the iPod
The Playstation brand is failing in this generation of console wars
Their Vaio computers are not selling

Screw you Sony. I am never buying another one of your products. "This fault isn't covered under warranty". What? So faulty disc drives in my PSone and PS2 that were less than a year old don't get fixed? And my PSP randomly turns off.

iHate you Sony.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Sony is a has-been.

Screw you Sony. I am never buying another one of your products. "This fault isn't covered under warranty". What? So faulty disc drives in my PSone and PS2 that were less than a year old don't get fixed? And my PSP randomly turns off.

iHate you Sony.

It's not really that they're has-beens, but that they've become a generic name in a sea of generic names. They really have no premiere, stand-out devices that lead their respective segments. Even in TVs and audio equipment. Just more "Sony alternatives" to the same products. Not much brand differentiation anymore. Boring and uninspiring.

Enigma55

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
How long until Apple sues Sony over Ipad patent infringement? Not long is my guess...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Sony is a has-been.

iHate you Sony.
What about Xbox 360 RROD in 30% of units or how the drive like to scratch discs.

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
When Apple learns to add physical buttons onto their 'gaming' devices, then Sony should be worried. If they decide on analogue sticks (no idea how)..then be really worried! Touch screen gaming sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.