Sony PSP & mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by markjones05, Mar 27, 2005.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone know if the PSP will be compatible with macs? The PSP looks amazing and I would love to get one to quicken commuting, but I really want to know weather software will be available for macs in order to convert movies to a PSP viewable format. Everywhere I look I only see directions for "PC" software. Any info or links would be a appreciated. Thanx guys.
  2. lordmac macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes there most defiantly is a way to do this, in fact this piece of software is mac only as of right now and is the best software out there for macs or pcs to sync your psp with as of right now, its called iPSP here is the link
    And here is the engadget report on it:

Also you don't actually need any special software to put stuff on it but the software makes it much less of a pain in the ass (it has weird filing system). But here is "how-to" If you don't want to use any kind of software: :) enjoy.
  3. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    PSPWare is pretty sweet, and converts video and everything!
  4. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    Anybody had success with iPSP? I dl'd it, but upon opening it gave me a warning that it was not working properly and subsequently shut down.

Doing it without any software at all isn't too bad though - regular drag n' drop action.
  5. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    ffmeqx also converts video into a format compatible for the PSP. You still need a way to transfer it to the PSP though.
  6. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    iPSP has some quirks - I also got the same message you did, and after several tries was finally able to open it (I just kept force-quitting then reopening it and eventually it opened). The interface is a littlebuggy though. I now use PSPware ( and loved it so much I just registered it. I also use ffmpegX for my video encoding needs - I was able to fit a 2 hour DVD onto my 512 stick and watched it on a plane yesterday :). I then played Need for Speed for 2 hours and the battery life was still marked as full - amazing. The PSP rocks but I'm keeping my iPod in the bag for music.
  7. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    So PSPware does everything that iPSP is supposed to do? And only $10? Sweet.

Can you use ffmpegX to rip from a DVD? I have yet to figure out how to do this.
  8. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    Use YadeX (unfortunately I don't have the link right now). using that tool you can transfer the DVD's VOB file to your hard drive. It merges all chapters and makes everything really easy. Then run that VOB file through ffmpegX to encode for the PSP.
    As far as I konw, PSPware covers everything iPSP should..
  9. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    Hmm, so far so good, all the apps installed easily and are easy to use... I'm now decoding the VOB using ffmpegx, and it's at 496%... ?
  10. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    Did you follow these instructions?

By following those instructions to the letter (except for "Copying to PSP" since I use PSPWare for that) I had no problems and the progress bar and percentages were accurate for me.
    I find ffmpegX's power lies in its ability to tell me how large the resulting file will be and the ability to change the bit rate to adjust to fit my memory stick..
  11. wbrowne1 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    PSPware vs. iPSP

For those of you that have used both...

1)The iPSP video encoding seems a little more robust (specific bitrate choice, 2 pass encoding, thumbnail selection), how do the more limited options of PSPware compare? is it any faster?

2)Any other notable quirks that make one more favorable than the other?

Thanks guys!
  12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    Please search the forums for this info. This has to be about the 25th thread on PSP.
  13. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    Here are my comments:

1) iPSP video encoding is more robust, but it didn't work for me. It told me it would make a file that would fit on a 512 mb stick and ended up making an 800 meg file. This was frustrating since iPSP's video encoding was dog-awful slow on my machine. We're talking 10-12 hours for a 2 hour movie (on my PB G4 800mhz. to compare, I now use ffmpegX which encodes a 2 hour movie in only 4 hours).
    PSPWare, I think, is equally frustrating for encoding movies because it gives you no indication of how large a file will be. You will have to encode and re-encode unless you have the cash for huge Duo sticks.
    Encoding smaller videos (30 min or 1 hr tv shows, for example) will not be as painful. Once you find the settings that work for you, it'll be all set up. PSPware is much faster than iPSP for transcoding. It took 5 hours for a 2 hour movie.

Neither of these pieces of software compare to ffmpegX for power. Unfortunately, ffmpegX is shareware and another piece of software to buy. It's also more difficult to use since there are tons more options, but if you're into that sort of thing as I am, then go for it. I find this software significantly faster than PSPware and iPSP for transcoding video (4 hours for 2 hour movie). If you have any kind of reasonable Mac you will probably be able to encode in real time or faster. Spec for ffmpegX on a dual 1.8Ghz G5 is 47 frames per second (source:
    I suspect transcoding time differences will become much less noticeable for more powerful machines.

2) There were several occasions when I simply couldn't open iPSP (it would die with some mysterious error), and when I did get it open, its interface glitches really put me off. There were times I would switch between categories and you could still see the old categories' options underneath the new. Ugh, cluttered.
    Never had any problems with PSPware. It has never crashed and the interface is much better designed, feels very clean. It even puts a nice little "P" in the menu bar for you to access it whenever you like, supports autosync-when-PSP-is-connected, etc. It's the little stuff that counts (that's why we have Macs right?). It also doesn't use up as much screen real estate as iPSP. This normally isn't an issue, but iPSP just felt wasteful. Also, PSPware is only 1/2 the cost of iPSP ...

Just my opinions and experience. YMMV. Hope this helps.
    Edit: download both and try them yourself. They don't require a PSP to open.
  14. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    I personally have used iPSP and PSPware, I prefer PSPware for backups and syncs. iPSP messes up on me too much. Like the previous poster said, ffmpegx is great for video encoding. ffmpegx, PSPWare, and iPSP all use ffmpeg for their encoding, so speeds should be similar.

I personally have paid copies of ffmpegx and PSPware, but that's because I wrote a PSP utility they both use :), but I'm not biased towards either, I just like them because they work well.
  15. wbrowne1 macrumors member

Aug 28, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks, Guys. I am experimenting with the demos right now, sucks that I only have this 32meg stick to work with for now. iPSP has crashed on me twice, but I haven't really tried out PSPware other than browsing the interface yet.

I'm on a Dual 2GHz, and processing seems to go rather quickly 70-90fps. I love to play around with encoding and all those details, but I also want to find a balance btwn. quality of video and quantity of time spent preparing it.

Once I give PSPware a try (probably in the next 20 min, hehe) I'll post with my thoughts as well...
  16. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    I have been using pspware for about a week now. Here are my thoughts.
    It is an excellent piece of software that does everything that it claims exceptionlly well. PSPware has not crashed on me once. I do wish that it had a progress bar to show the status of video encoding. But this is my only real gripe.

I can't stress how great this program is. For 15 bucks, it is a steal
  17. Mtorells74 macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    Hey guys, just got my PSP last night and have been tryen to put a movie onto my memory stick, to convert my movies im using FFmpegX.
    I went to the site to look at the directions and i dont understand this step

"When the drive appears on your OSX desktop, create the following directories in the ROOT of the drive (i.e. NOT in the PSP directory):

How do i create a directory?
  18. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Go up to File... New Folder.
  19. Mtorells74 macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
  20. Mtorells74 macrumors newbie

Apr 4, 2005
    ok so i tryed creating a new folder and i get a message when i try to name it "MP_ROOT/100MNV01" that says I can Not use that name...
  21. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    The / indicates a new directory. So what you you want to do is create a folder named MP_ROOT, and then inside that, create a folder called 100MNV01.
  22. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    I use the free Pspware to put movies on the PSP. Have fun.
  23. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I just bought a 512 mb card for my PSP today. I loaded 4 episodes from Family Guy onto it after I ripped them from the DVD's using Handbrake. I trying to figure out an optimum balance between size and quality. I decided to see the size of the file to 50mb so that i can get around 10 episodes on it. It's not perfect, but as good as I would need it to be to watch the shows. I'm going to keep fooling around with it though.
  24. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2003
    San Diego
    doesn't work for me either

I tried making the folder MP_ROOT/100MNV01 and I am promptly given an error message saying I can't do that b/c the file name contains punctuation marks. What am I doing wrong here?
  25. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    Create a folder called "MP_ROOT" first. Double-click to open it, and create a folder called "100MNV01" inside of it.