1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Well, i went to best buy and my friend that works there had one out, he showed me it... and well, needless to say, i broke down and bought one last weekend, and boy is it amazing. You might this $250 is a lot for this, but it's so sweet. It comes with the FULL Spiderman 2 on a UMD(universial media disc... sonys new proprietary media :rolleyes: ) i was wondering why they would give you the full thing, it's because Sony made Spidy...
    I got Need For Speed Underground because i played it on my old PC and fell in love with it, i know it's kinda sad, but the graphics are truly amazing, and the internet videos don't do it justice, you've really got to see it in action, but what i'm really waiting for is GTA for PSP, and IT HAS been anounced to come out in May, it takes place in Liberty City, like GTA3, but it's a whole new game...
    I was thinking about buying Dynasty Warriors after i beat NFSU (not for a while... i'm only like 80% done on the novice circuit...) but does any one else have one? and any game recomendation/warnings?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've had the PSP for months, and have spent months on this forum telling people exactly what you are saying - but no one believed me ;)

Games worth checking out:

Lumines - a puzzle game
    Ridge Racers (Ridge Racer in the US) - the driving game
    Namco Museum - Japanese import excellent old school compilation - check it out at lik-sang.com

These 3 are my favourite PSP games so far.

Have fun with it!

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I must admit I want one of these! :) I need to pay off my cinema display, and then I will buy one. They actually some pretty reasonable.

Is Grand Turismo on PSP yet?

4. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

what's a better game? NFS or Ridge Racer??

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

According to http://gamespot.com/ of the 3 racing games Wipeout Pure is the best, then Ridge Racer, then NFS. They have nice video reviews so you can check the games out and make up your own mind. I've only played Ridge Racers (Japanese Title) I can't fault it at all.

6. risc macrumors 68030

risc

GT4 Mobile is set for a Q2 release in Japan, and is scheduled for release in the US September 1.

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I have a PSP, and the only game I have is Ridge Racer, and it is amazing!

8. johnny_boy9 macrumors newbie

My brother picked up a PSP too... and I admit I hate Sony. I've always been a Nintendo or Sega fanboy (I still have my Dreamcast) but the PSP is simply the best portable gaming system. It blows the Nintendo DS out of the water. Granted they are aimed at different target markets but in terms of capabilities it's no contest in my opinion.

It can play Mpeg 4 movies, MP3s, has wifi connectivity for online gaming (not just adhoc, PSP to PSP, but globally too.. no longer do you need a friend next to you) and if you really want to watch that beautiful crisp screen for 2 hours the UMD movies are stunning.

I still can't get over how bright and vibrant the screen is though, and the games to me seem like PS2 graphics. It's amazing they got that much power into such a little package.

Also, rumor has it that the next firmware update for it will have a web browser and e mail client.. so that will just further the coolness of it 10 fold.

9. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

Well I broke down earlier today and picked one up. after all that was said and done I spent nearly $500 cnd. :eek:

While my initial impressions after playing with it for a few hours is that it is great but I am a little disappointed. If you ask me the graphics aren't nearly as great as I had expected and the measly 32mb memory stick they give you is pathetic, 512mb, 256mb hell even 128mb would have been great, the analog stick is difficult to use and the earbuds were making my ears throb within the first few minutes. The media features work great in conjunction with PSPware but like I mentioned above it is kind of hindered by the amount of memory. With all that said this system seems to have major potential with browsers, emulators, and why not audio streaming from your computer? that'd be great. :D

oh btw the two games I picked up with my PSP were Gretzky NHL and Wipeout pure. I plan on picking up Lumines as soon as I can find a copy.

10. rccola70 macrumors regular

Twisted Metal is good for PSP too..I loved the origional and the second on Playstation

11. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Does anyone else here have Wipeout Pure? I'm stuck between getting Need for Speed and Wipeout.....any suggestions?

I'll be picking up a PSP after I save a little more up. I'm not about to stretch my already thin college student budget any thinner.

But dang, they do look great. $249 is just a lot of money for me. :(

12. nosser macrumors regular

I have lumines and that game is addicting. I read on some other forum that with wipeout you can setup a browser and surf the web somehow. I'll try to find the site and link it. Anyways I love my psp I considered getting nfs but what I really want gt4 and it sucks to hear it coming out 4th quarter and if its like gt4 for ps2 we might not see it till 06. another game i want is "stacked" which is a hold'em poker game.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i wanted to get a PSP, but instead i got a mac mini a couple weeks ago. i might get one during the summer though. i'm just going to wait and see how it plays out

14. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

sethypoo

GET WIPEOUT PURE. don't hesitate, GET IT. I am a little biased, as i have been a fan of wipeout since it's original run on the playstation. wipeout fusion let me down something horrible, but pure is hands down my favorite racing game next to gran turismo. I literally bought the system just for wipeout pure! and how cool is it that you will be able to download new tracks and ships, etc!?

hope my biased opinion helps! :)

technocoy

15. breathofj macrumors newbie

breathofj

PSP = bathroom heaven

The PSP is just an amazing machine. Everyday I turn it on, I am still blown away by the incredibly beautiful screen.

I use my iPod headphones, and they work much better than the ones Sony supplies.

I own Wipeout, Lumines, and Untold Legends. All three are superb represenations of their respective genres. Lumines is an experience that should NOT be missed. Truly incredible, and absolutely immersive.

Wipeout is an absolute blast, and has a very deep single player experience. The added benefit of getting Wipeout is that you can "preview" Sony's web browser through a VERY easy little hack.

Just Google for Wipeout PSP browser or something, and I'm sure it will pop up like mad.

The PSP is the coolest gadget I've owned since the iPod. It just has the "right" feel to it that goes above and beyond anything else out there. Plus, it makes the DS look like something from the 80s.

16. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I just got Twisted Metal, and it is pretty fun!

17. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I went up to a Fred Meyer in Oregon to pick up a PSP yesterday; I called ahead to make sure they had them in stock (they said they did), but when I walked up to the electronics department, they were sold out, and had been for a week. Needless to say I was a little disapointed. I picked up Wipeout Pure "ahead of time" so I could avoid CA sales tax. On my way back home I stopped at our local Wal Mart, and they were out too.

So, I figured it was a sign from God that I wasn't meant to have a PSP yet. However, God willing, I am going to Target in my college-town tomorrow to try my luck there. I can't wait!

18. lfielder06 Guest

I had a psp and loved it. I played tiger woods for ever. almost beat it, but then I felt like I just didn't use the portability enough. I always wanted to listen to music or watch movies but the 32mb card just isn't enough, and I didn't have another $150 to blow on a 1gig stick. Then the rumors about sony adding a hard drive to it later made me nervous. I decided to sell it. I sold it on ebay for as much as I paid for it, so I didn't lose money. I got an ipod mini with the money and saved a little. I have an xbox that I play all the time. I think that once more great games come out for it and the price drops I might consider getting one again, but by that time the xbox 360 will be out so who knows. Overall I say if you want portability you can't go wrong with the PSP. By the end you may spend like $500-600 but it is really cool and there is no substitute for it right now.

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree... Wipeout Pure is simply awesome. The downloadable content will also be cool, but it will of course require that you invest in a larger memory stick (prob. 256 MB, if not larger). That's the one problem with DC on a system that has no hard drive (a la the Xbox)... where you gonna store it?

20. TheGimp macrumors 6502

I just finished posting a somewhat lengthy reply in "psp launch sales" thread, so I won't reiterate the entirety of my praise for the PSP.

However...
    Wipeout Pure is probably my favorite PSP game - a close tie with Lumines. I haven't been so immersed in *any* video/computer game since I was a little kid playing space invaders. I agree that the internet movies and screenshots (nor the sampler disk movies) do not do it any justice. Soundtrack is awesome, especially once it has grown on you. Except for a couple of tracks, the music is as good as in Wipeout XL and both the graphics and gameplay are better. Only seeing will be believing.

If launch titles are this good, I can't wait to see what creativity and developer optimization of PSP hardware will bring over the next months and years.

BTW- Sony says the included 32mb card will be sufficient for at least some of the downloadable content including tracks. Polygons really dont take up all that much storage space.

21. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Well, I went over to my neighborhood Target and picked up a Sony PSP (I already had Wipeout Pure). The $250 price tag gave me a serious case of sticker-shock on the drive home, but after opening the box and turning on the PSP, within a half-hour my sticker-shock syndrome was gone.

It's an amazing system, with amazing capabilities. The screen is flawless, the perfect size. I've got big hands, and I don't have a problem holding the PSP. Besides the fact that the battery door is a little too flimsy, this system is very solid feeling; even the mini analog stick Sony put on it gives surprisingly precise control.

I really, really like the sleep mode feature, in which you can turn off the PSP during gameplay, then turn it back on and be right back where you left off. Of course, if you eject the UMD disc, you'll lose your progress, but otherwise, it makes for easy on-the-go gaming when you never know how long you'll get to play.

The included case in the PSP value pack has come in handy, I just have to slide it in and throw it in my backpack. It has more than enough padding to keep it safe, and scratch free.

I've got no dead pixels at all, just a flawless screen. I really like what Sony did with the home menu system; it's very easy to navigate and to find what you're looking for.

I do have one question: is Wipeout Pure only playable online through the ad-hoc mode? I tried to connect using my wireless setup at home, but no other gamers were found.

22. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Wipeout is only playable wirelessly against other psp owners nearby, I believe within some number of feet. The only games that play online using the internet to link you with others are Gretzky NHL, Twisted Metal, and a couple of other games.