Sony PSP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rdowns, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

OK, I want to buy a Sony PSP as a gift for my nephew's bar mitzvah and would like to also get some add ons. Any suggestions?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would suggest:
    a nice case
    games
    headphones (so the PSP won't annoy everyone else in the room
    :) )
    A memory card if it doesn't already come with one. (need to save games, music, pics, etc.)

3. Cfly macrumors regular

4. Cfly macrumors regular

headphones come with it and are pretty good.

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Depends on the kit you buy.
    There are PSP kits that go for $250 and include
    AC adapter, UMD, 32MB stick, headphones, soft case, remote control.

There are also some PSP kits around that go for $200 that only include the AC adapter.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The Logitech polycarbonate case, and some screen protectors... so he can keep it in pristine shape for as long as possible.

8. Euan macrumors regular

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you even call that a "kit??"

Anyway, I'd get him a Nintendo DS instead. I saw a poll of DS and PSP owners, and PSP owners had more disappointments than DS owners. Some of the complaints include lack of any decent games, along with battery life. They also said that they don't use the multimedia functionality of the system itself, and use it to play games. The average PSP owner only owned 3-4 games, while the average DS owner had around 10-12 games. I think it's because of game variety and price.

This was a poll done in Japan though, but I'm sure the same problems are everywhere.

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I love my PSP, and am very happy with it. But before you buy either a PSP or a DS, you should try and find out which system most of his friends have. It would suck if you got him a PSP and all of his friends are busy playing wireless DS battles, or vice versa. Is there a sibling you can ask?

If you go with the PSP, I'd get the Pelican kit (around $50 at Best Buy). It has a nicely padded zipper case with a carabiner, room for 4 extra games and a couple of memory sticks. It also comes with game sleeves, a microfibre cloth, an external battery pack, a car charger, headphones, and a removeable screen protector. At least mine did when I bought it, but the packaging has changed. Also, the Pelican Face Armour ($10) is nice, matches the shiny blackness of the PSP well. It attaches via two thumb screws and has a hinge. Even helps with glare outdoors. Also comes with a couple game sleeves.

As for games...Wipeout Pure is great, as is Lumines. 9/13 heralds the release of two games I'm really excited about: Medievil Resurrection and Burnout.

btw, you're a great uncle for even thinking about this as a gift.

11. Euan macrumors regular

The big game release of the PSP is GTA... of which this version will only be released on PSP.

EDIT: Although not suitable for kiddies!

12. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

A good uncle would never buy an M-rated (if Rockstar is lucky, might be AO) game for a 13 year old.

13. Euan macrumors regular

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting buying it for a 13 year old - was just pointing out that in addition to the games you mentioned for release soon, GTA is also coming out.

14. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Thanks for the suggestion but this is what he wants. He may even have a Nintendo DS.

Um, I'm a lefty. Might have to try the right hand.
    :eek:

15. rdowns thread starter Suspended

rdowns

Sounds like an awesome kit. Will definitely check it out.

Thanks, anything for my nephew (or niece for that matter). My only rule is whatever gifts I buy them must make noise so as to inflict as much punishment on my brother and sister-in-law as possible. I remember my niece asked for a Bop-It and when I looked to buy one, I saw a Super Bop-It. Had to buy it.