Sony PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by thechris69, Jan 17, 2006.

1. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

my psp has a few scratches on the screen, any recomendations on how to take the scratches off before i by the screen protector?

2. baboo2 macrumors member

search on ebay, they seem to have some solutions

3. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Since a "scratch" is by definition subtraction of material from the major body constituting the whole object in question (in this case, your screen), it follows that scratches are negative space and as such cannot be "removed" any more than you can remove the hole from the center of a donut. You could try filling the hole with the same or some other material, making it a filled hole, but a hole nonetheless.

So that leaves the options of either shaving away a thin layer from the remaining unscratched portion of your PSP's screen in order to bring the rest of the screen down to the same level as the bottom of the scratch's trough, or else fill the scratch with one of the wacky filler products claimed by manufacturers to "remove scraches". I believe such products exist for the iPod screens, there being a large demand for such products due to the iPod's tendency to so readily scratch that it practically scratches itself.

Hope this helps. (Personally, I used my ebgames plan to get a brand new PSP as soon as it had too many scratches (~6 months) and then IMMEDIATELY applied the $5 screen protector which has remained on the unit ever since.

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

They make a product called iKlear, might work for the PSP. Once you do get them fixed, definitely get a screen protector, cannot say how much they help.

5. thechris69 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechris69

thanks ill give it a shot, do the warranties really work like thaT? if the psp has to many scratches theyll replace it? because i got one of those crazy 3 year extended warranties from bestbuy, so in a few months if the psp is in bad condition, theyll replace it?

p.s. bad condition meaning scratches, not dropping the psp and demanding a new one

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Best Buy has two kinds of extended warranties: Replace warranties, and Repair/Service warranties. Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy one.

EBGames doesn't service ANYTHING, so their extended warranties are all Replace warranties. I have one of those, too, but my PSP is in perfect condition (has a screen protector AND one of those Logitech clear hardcases), so I won't be taking it in for replacement unless it actually breaks.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can recommend those filling fluids. I worked for a short time at a PC repair shop, one of the guys there had a 'matrix phone'... yea this was yeeears ago. Anywho the screen was scratched badly. but the fluid worked fine. no marks or any kind of evidence that it was once trashed.

THEN he had to go and get it trapped in a door. result? huge split down the screen. for kicks, because he's like that, he poured the fluid onto it to see if it would work. course it never recovered like.

8. Scruge macrumors member

dude calm down. he wants to fill in the scratches

9. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Thanks Ragged. Some people just don't get a joke. Of course my joke wasn't very funny, like "funny ha ha", so I didn't expect a "lmao", but neither did I expect to be taken all that seriously. Anyway I write fast, so often it isn't until after I've spent a couple minutes going at it that I suddenly realize how much I spewed out in response to plaintive little whimperings about things such as scratches.