Sony - The Sales/Shipped figures are in.

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Jan 30, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The PSP figure surprised me. A lot.....

PS3 only just missed it's targets. I'm still extrememly skeptical about 6 million by march, I expect that to drop to 3.5 - 4 million. After all 'aiming' for is an ideal figure, not necessarily a realistic one.

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

I agree. There's still not anything worth getting, and only Virtua Fighter 5 will make it out by the end of Feb. And then by the end of March, we'll have Motorstorm. I expect the shipments to be around 5-6 million. But not over 6 million obviously. We'll see what happens.

3. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

24 million PSP's in two years is astonishing(even if its getting pwnt by DS)

4. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, considering the price hasn't dropped on the PSP and is almost twice that of the Nintendo DS, it's doing incredibly well. Not only that, but it's probably the only portable ever to actually be able to sell well in the market with Nintendo dominating. It's actually got some excellent titles as well. My current favorite is Metal Gear Portable Ops.

In the meantime, I'll be waiting for Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm...Back to online Resistance. :D

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

7. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

looks like it may be out in japan in 9 days...........

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. To do well in the handheld market is a sign of something. Nintendo has had that since the 80's, no way in hell was Sony ever going to topple the Gameboy/DS. But yea. Best competitor so far. They do a stellar job with the PSP2 and I'll buy one, hopefully sticking with it this time!

9. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

The PS3 just doesn't have any massively impressive games out. They put out more games, they can sway people's opinions.

10. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Are those the actual final figures? I'm a little more cautious than usual over sales figures after I just read this from IGN

"And that's the key here. Sales figures and shipping figures are deceptive beasts at the best of times, but even when Microsoft announced at CES in early January that they had exceeded expectations by "hitting the 10.4 million-console-sold mark", that still needs to be translated. Rather than meaning that 10.4 million consoles are sitting in homes around the world, it's our understanding that when Microsoft says "sold" it means that 10.4 million consoles have been sold on to retail. While this is still an impressive achievement, in all likelihood retailers are probably still selling quite a lot of them. With that in mind, it's not too surprising to see the shipment target reduce"

Freakin companies and their marketing BS.... just give it to the people straight.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Doesn't look good for PSP, but the PS3 is doing better then some make it out to be

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Astonishingly BAD, you mean. Where does it say 24 million PSP's in two years? It says 21 million PSP *games* shipped. Which means either every PSP owner buys very few games (2 games per PSP owner = 10 million PSPs) or the PSP has sold miserably. I'm thinking a combination of the two.

13. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html

It says that Sony has SHIPPED 24.70 million PSPs worldwide. Which means that at least maybe 20-22 million have been sold.

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

LOL :D are we readin the same article?

... that's questionable, you can't really say how many has been sold based on how many have been shipped. If they went from shipping 6.2 mill to 1.7 mill, I'd say that they're doin pretty bad.

15. tringo macrumors regular

Just curious what you guys think. Do you think this signals a bad quarter for the entire video game industry?

Or did the Wii just take everyone else's sales?

16. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think the videogame industry needs to rethink they're gameplan, more so on the Sony and MS side of things. If they keep goin' with the million dollar budget games with 3-5 yr production cycles, it's goin' to hit some kind of rut.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was at EB games yesterday and the guy said we have a bunch of PS3's in the back that are not selling, but we can't keep the Wii's in stock.

18. tringo macrumors regular

Exactly what my theory was and what I was hoping to hear form someone else.

The reason being that I have been buying Gamestop shares on these "bad news" dips. (Gamestop is the owner of the EB games franchise, ps.)

19. macidiot macrumors 6502a

No real surprise here. The PSP is an also-ran. Unless they come out with some sort of killer app, and I mean major league stuff like an exclusive Final Fantasy game, or drop the price to $99, the PSP will die a slow death. I never owned a handheld until the DS. The games are awesome.

As for the PS3, I see it eventually doing well. Eventually, there will be a few critical games like FFXIII coming out that will sell PS3s.

Down the road I see myself with a Wii and a PS3. Then again I have zero interest in the 360. I can't stand FPS games (I get bored stupid by them), which basically means I have no interest in about 60% of the 360 games. Another 30% of 360 games are driving games or sports games, which are also boring. Which leaves a handful of games that might actually interest me. And of those, only about, umm, 2, are exclusive to the 360. How sad is it that the only games that really interest me on the 360 are Viva Pinata and Blue Dragon (which isn't even available here). Not quite enough for me to justify the purchase.

Honestly, I see the Wii ending up with first place. But not dominating like the PS2. Something along the lines of 40%, 30%, 30% sound about right. And maybe somewhere along the way, Microsoft might actually turn a profit in gaming. And put some sort of dent in the 8 billion it has lost so far... ;)

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The 360 will be the top gaming machine, The Wii will have respectable numbers and there is talk that the PS3 might be another Dreamcast if they can't pull the numbers up by the end of the year.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Ya could have posted that earlier :p

No, just Sony.

The XBox 360 and Wii sold incredibly. However, Microsoft massively overshipped so they could claim "we sold 10 million units!" and a lot of XBox 360s sat on the shelf but the Wii and 360 sold similar numbers.

The Nintendo DS has sold ridiculous numbers, with a 5-to-1 lead in Japan and 2-to-1 lead in the U.S.

The PSP and PS3 have just sold terribly.

PSP has a high number of shipped units, but the software sales are really bad (if they have indeed shipped 24 million PSP's, but only shipped 21 million games in 2006...PSP owners aren't buying a lot of games, or a lot of those PSP's are on the shelf).

I'm actually starting to think the Wii will be top in sales because of all the non-gamers buying it. I know so many moms and dads and grandparents that have bought Wii's and never played a video game, and the demand for the system is so strong, it's still sold out a month after Christmas.

PS3 won't be a Dreamcast per se...the Dreamcast never reached 2 million sales and EA never made a game for the platform, AFAIK. It also had a marketing budget of 100 million. PS3 is guaranteed to outsell the Dreamcast (it may have already done so), but it may lose more money than the Dreamcast ever did.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What I mean is if Sony can't sell enough to make a profit then they might be forced to stop development. There is only so much loss they can take before they have no choice but the pull the plug. If by this time next year the PS3 has not sold enough or falls really far behind the Wii then I think Sony might turn it into a media center type device.

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

price drop fro the ps3 in 2-3 years ? what the ... are they thinking they are

and the psp shipping numbers totally breaking apart speak for themselves

for Microsoft over-shipping: i guess it's pretty obvious when you look at retail stores.. in the store heres they already have to pile them up in different departments
    in one stores they are piled up between the coffee machines, in the other one around the digital cameras and those additional piles are generally around my height (1,75-1,77 meters) or more and have 5x4 in each level
    in another stores they put it into one 20 meter shelf which is now completely filled with 360 premium boxes... quite i sight

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's got a hard time coming up in Europe. Though the PSP had a great launch it started to dwindle over here, probably because Sony made us wait 9 whole months before launching the thing (bad move).

The tides are changing. In the GAMEs I visit they're increasing the DS and Wii's shelf space due to demand. PSP movies have been put in one of them bargain bin kinda things.

Happened to Atari, happened to Commodore, happened to Nintendo...