Sony to stop making Clie

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by question fear, Jun 1, 2004.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    Sony has ended production on the CLIE (their Palm PDAs)...they say the market just isnt there. It does beg the quesiton of whether they believe they can really make any money in the ipod-killer business if they couldn't even kill palm.
    and if anyone comes along saying apple's going to make a pda...keep dreaming ;-)
  2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    right, hopefully this would end any rumors about an Apple PDA.
  3. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    time to start investing in cell phone/pda hybrids
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    They're not going to sell any more of them in the U.S.A.

That's quite different from not making them entirely.
  5. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2003
    Ding Dong the Clie's are gone

Serves Sony right for releasing crappy models over the past 2 yrs , they have been getting outdone by PalmOne ever since they came out with the Tungsten Line especially the Tungsten T3/E and Zire 71/72. Crappy Screens , bad button placement , inferior version of the same PDA models in the USA compared to Europe and Japan versions. last but not least OVER PRICED just like ever other sony Product. this is a company in termoil just look at Sony's different lines, the Viao is dead just doesn't know it yet, Clie is dead , MD Walkman is a Joke (why are they still trying to push 10yr old Tech on us , i had a MD walkman back in 98). Sony just missing the Boat or just dropping the ball on just about all thier Product lines. only thing they still got going 4 them is TV's but i think that will change soon as well as HDTV become's more common , Sharp is king of the flat LCD TV , Panasonic is King of the Plasma , Samsung has DLP , Hatachi has the LCD Projection.

They better Stick to Playstations and hope the PSP bails them out, atleast till Xbox 2 ( ATI + Triple G5's BABY).

However I think the Pocket PC guys Dell and HP now smell blood and see this as the beginning of the end for Palm OS. c'mon sony was charging $400
    for that crappy Clie TH-55 with only a 123mhz processor no landscape mode so that extra long screen goes 2 waste , while Dell has that incredible X30 that has Wi-Fi + BT and Landscape mode , user replaceable battery , cutting edge Intel PXA270 Processor at 312/624 mhz for $249/$349. the HP 4355 is smaller then most Palm PDA's while it's pricy at $449 it's fully loaded takes SD cards not proprietary Sony Memory Sticks.

So in my Opinion this was just the Big Domino to get all the other domino's falling and at the end will lead to Palm's Demise or a takeover by Dell
  6. thejazzman10 Guest

well this still doesn't mean that appple cant make a pda, remember when everyone thought they didn't need another mp3 player? :eek:
  7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well I always thought that Palm was screwed anyway, since most people just buy what seems most familiar, namely Windows/Microsoft. With so many vendors supporting Pocket PC, I always thought it was an inevitability that the Palm and Sony Clie fail. Sony sells the most Palm OS based PDA's, the last time I heard, so this probably means the death of Palm.
    I think that Palm OS is better than Pocket PC, not because I hate MS to the level that many people here do, but because Palm OS is better. ;) It may have strayed for a while, but its currently better than Pocket PC. The Clie's are great, but from this point, what does Sony do? They could add a 3.0 MP digital camera to it. Are people going to upgrade their present Clie for a better camera?
    Sony knows that future business will come from making phones with PDA capabilities, or something like the Handspring Treo 600 ( :eek: ). The Sony-Ericsson company can do that. Sony doesn't need Clie anymore if it can incorporate some of the Clie's PDA-ness into their S-E phones. If they didn't drop the Clie, all they could do from this point is to make a Clie phone. Since they're already doing so with Ericsson, doesn't that sound like a waste of resources?

This was smart of Sony.
  8. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    Stupid Sony PDAs

I'm glad Sony is getting out the PDA business.

As a developer, I hated the Clie's, because they never worked quite exactly like the other Palm OS devices -- always had some quirky tics. Don't even get me started on those goddamned memory sticks.

As a user..well... My boss used to go ga-ga over every new Clie. I thought they were all completely asstastic -- overpriced and ugly.
  9. MorganX macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Sony would make a killing making pocket PCs or Windows mobile smartphones, but it's not going to happen. MS' punishment for getting into the game console business.
  10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    I liked Pocket PC much better than Palm OS. It was quicker to enter information with the Pocket PC. For example, when I try to enter a word, it will suggest a word that I am trying to enter and I can just tap that word. Also the applications on Pocket PC are much better than the ones I have tried with Palm based devices.

If the $300 dollar palms were selling for $100, then I probably wouldn't be so critical of it.
  11. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    true. but it makes them a MUCH smaller player on the PDA market. And it indicates less of an interest in the market as a whole. While it is true that the US is not the major market for PDAs, for them to remove themselves from the US entirely implies no desire to invest in the R & D necessary to be a major player. And if they see the pda market as shrinking to smartphones, its interesting they have no desire to come out with a clie smartphone.
    OTOH, I wouldn't be surprised if you start to see a lot of the technology tested on clies implemented into sony vaios...especially rotating screens and stuff.

also, ppc is still less stable than the palm os, imho...sadly, i think palm os is heading towards meeting ppc halfway, rather than really remaining the better system. palm os 5 was nice, but its not the rock-solid palm os 1-4.

i am still holding out for symbian to come out with a) a cheaper smartphone or b) a standalone pda. I'm ready to branch from Palm Os, but I want someplace to branch to.