Sony wants to buy Apple

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dont Hurt Me, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The macdailynews.com post a article that sony's ceo would consider buying Apple computer and palm. Lets hope that Apple remains Apple!http://www.macdailynews.com

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: Sony wants to buy Apple

-Dont Hurt Me...(I'll try not to)

I'd be careful in trying to reading "Sony wants to buy Apple" into this.

What is said, and you've pointed it out, is that he'd consider it.

Sun and IBM have considered it in the past as well.

It would be interesting, taking into account Apple's strong cash position.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Sony/Apple would SUCK

Bad marriage indeed. The last thing we need is iTunes crippled with some sort of Sony Entertainment Copy Protection scheme that makes us jump through flaming hoops to use our music.

No thank you!

4. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The thing about this is that it would be behind close doors for the most part until they went public and said by the way....Apple is now a Sony company........... I guess this would be better then Microsoft buying apple or would it? If Microsoft bought it it would still be a American company would it not. Also the fact that he is considering it does this mean that something is going on behind those closed doors? I would like to see Apple remain Apple but with all the merging going on in the technology sector this would not surprise me a bit.

5. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I think Apple's greatest attribute is that it is its own company, and that it always has been. Having them merge with another company would definitely put a damper on the innovation and and just-plain-cool policies that Apple has. I think that their independance really helps them develop.

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I realy do not see why apple would bye out apple.. Sony already has thier own line of computers... if they did would they convert the mac os to Windows and x86??/ i hope not.. well at least not the windows part. x86 wouldnt eb that bad if we dont get the 970.

aethier

7. vniow macrumors G4

Now that you mention it, I don't see why Apple would buy out Apple either, it just doesn't seem to make sense.

8. Tommy! macrumors regular

and that matters because...?

9. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

That's great!:D
    As for Apple Buying Sony,:mad: I'm through with computers if that happens. Come on, that would suck on some many different levels.:rolleyes:

10. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I guess it doesnt that much in todays world but its a nice thought that this American started company would still be an American company.

11. Dont Hurt Me thread starter macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I think you are 100% correct. I wouldnt like it for someone else to be influencing or telling apple to do this or that.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

It would make me feel better if Apple were to buy Sony... ;)

13. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

If sony bought apple, I'm jumping ship. I've never owned anything by Sony that didn't break (although my car stereo is pretty cool).

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Sure, lots of pc companies wouldnt mind buying apple. i bet a lot of pc people wonder why they have all the fastest hardware, all the software, games, and anything you can think of but they look at this cult of apple users over the world who dont take a second look at a pc and spend their lives in joy with their mac. If i was a pc user i woudl wonder my self. plus i think with the ceo on our side who originally started this company because he had a vision means we wont be going anywhere. Plus it would cost a s*** load of money to buy apple. Buying everything then on top of the 4 bil they got stashed away. With steve ceo, we arent going anywhere. i dont think many other ceos have the guts to run a busniess who owns 5% market share in a windows domintated world, company that removes the floppies 5 years before the world is ready, takes small technologies and adapts them and makes them big. This stuff takes balls and not too many people in the pc makket have it. thats why on pcs we still see serial, parallel, and floppy drives on the pc.

iJon

15. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

We wont be seeing Apple go anywhere!
    The main reason companies sell out is because of the money they get, remember, steve only gets a $1 a year salary from Apple and is so rich that he would never need more money! He enjoys running the company and would not want to be under sonys control for nothing.

American companies that merge with non-american companies usually NEVER work out. Just look at chrysler...

I would rather have Microsoft buy Apple (and I am sure that apple and steve would fight it if another company pulled a hostile takeover on apple) even though if M$ bought Apple I am sure we would see most MacOS X technology that is no-unix and the interface become the next windows while all the iApps are made for windows and maybe we would see windows on PPC...

16. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Come on, if Sony buys Apple, we could have yet another "*man" products. Walkman, Discman, etc. How about Appleman?

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Well spoken iJon!

18. Helmut Kool macrumors member

It will be iMan.

19. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

oops i meant sony

aethier

20. trose macrumors regular

Itd definately be better than Microsoft buying them...but still would be horrible. Apple is unique in that they make the whole package, and thats one of the main reasons I go with Apple.

Oh, and imagine what MS would do if they purchased Apple..look at their attempt to build hardware. The Xbox....overweight..clunky, ugly and instead of utilizing anything innovative, they just packed it with the most horsepower they can get and run a billion dollar advertising campaign and gobble up all the developers. Might make for good company strategy..but I dont like the end product :) .

21. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Well spoken, however, look at the market share and profits on both sides. Dell doesn't NEED to innovate to be profitable, Apple does. I am personally glad that PCs still come with floppy disks, you know why? because I can use it on any PC at the office, and friend's house or at home. I know it is possible to burn CDs etc, but nothing beats dragging and dropping a file to a floppy and taking it home.

This might change as USB drives become more popular and older systems that do not suppor them get phased out.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

of course you love it. from looking at the specs on your computer what other options would you have. i hate floppies, we use them at our school newspaper and get corrupted to easily, they are slow, and anything you can save on them can easily be sent over the internet. go to best buy and buy a 50 pack of cdrs for about 1-5 dollars. pop them in my mac, drag and drop and burn. simple as that. plus cds dont go corrupt as easily, only if they get scratched. you use them with all your friends and at work because you are still working with OLD tech that is pointless. apple sees this. its kind of like saying why buy a dvd when i can just go to payperview and order ti and tape it a tape, which loses its already crappy quality over time. im not trying to be mean or anything, im just saying there is stuff better than using old floppies.

iJon

23. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

24. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

to what? me?

iJon