Sony Wega Plasma hooked to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Sep 24, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

It is not actually for me, but I have tried to find out if a 42" Sony WEGA Plasma TV can be hooked up to a Mac (or any computer). Sony's documentation and customer support says it is not "recommended." According to the manual the DVI-HDTV interface is not supposed to be used with a computer. Has anyone done this, using either the interface or a set top box/converter. Currently the TV is hooked up to a Sony Satellite HD-300 DirecTV HD Receiver. It would still need to be hooked up to that but I would want to feed in the DVI from a Mini as well, possibly through the Component input which I think is still available. Would there be a way to do this? What would the quality be like? The TV is a 2003 model and supports a resolution of 1024 x 768 though it says that it supports 1080i at 1920 x 1080. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks.

2. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

The highest resolution you'll get out of the Component cables is 1024 x 768
    which is 720p which should be ok for a computer.
    DVI would be the option to get the higest resolution, but you may find you wont need it.
    a friend of mine has a G4 Mac mini hooked up to this Westinghouse HDTV (which has 1366 x 768 resolution) the screen will support 1080i but it is to hard to do anything on the computer cause that resolution is too high. everything is way to small to see:eek:
    I never thought i would say this but you dont really NEED 1080i/p to have the best picture. 720p is fine.

You can find some DVI to component cables at Radio shack, or many places online.

3. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Is there anything funky you have to do with the settings to get it to work? Will it look good or will it be fuzzy?

4. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I have a Sony 42" rear-projection HDTV hooked up to my Mini, and it works fine. I use the VGA hookup (I have the HDMI-DVI cable, but it's finicky), and the picture (almost) fits perfectly. Currently, there is a small (less than a inch) gap around the desktop. I'm sure there is a way to get it to fit perfectly, but I'm pretty happy with it as it is.

5. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

Holy pulling numbers out of your ass Batman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_Video