Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
xperiaz2.jpg

The Sony Xperia Z has seen its fair share of pre-CES leaks, so it comes as no surprise to us that the 5-inch, 1080p smartphone is ready to take the show by storm at tomorrow's press conference. We've been waiting for some real-world evidence of the device's existence, however, and a tipster provided us with just that: a shot of the Z as it appears in Sony's booth at the Las Vegas Convention Center. We didn't receive any specs, but this is as good an indicator of its impending launch as any we've seen so far. Regardless, it won't be too long before we get the full scoop from the horse's mouth.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/sony-xperia-z-spotted-early-on-ces-show-floor/

Specs:

ecap, the Xperia Z apparently sports a 5-inch 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels) display at 440ppi with Sony's Mobile Bravia Engine and runs on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core processor with 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage, which is expandable by another 128GB.

Other features include a 12-megapixel rear camera (as opposed to the 16-megapixel mentioned earlier), Micro-USB as well as USB host mode, 802.11 a/b/g/n in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz modes, Bluetooth 4.0, LTE and NFC.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/sony-xperia-z-pricing-details-leak-313144

Depending on how the S4 turns out, this might be the phone to beat.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Looks like it'll likely be this phone vs the Galaxy S4. Anyone wanna guess which phone ends up on top?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
This phone only looks good because we're all used to seeing 2012's top tier phones. The S4, and HTC M7 will likely be better!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The Xperia ZL is this in a better body (just too thick). And I'm holding out for the HTC M7. Or the next Nexus.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Will be holding out to see what the other major players are offering for 2013 no matter what Sony releases. Overall sweet looking phone though.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Thats bc there's new one every two months.

Are there really high-end Android handsets every two months, or do you mean generally? I think most of us are only interested in high-end Android phones. Even if there are new high-end phones every two months, do you consider that a problem? Just curious.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Any updates on the release date of this phone? I'd rather get the S4 (to be honest), but I'm not sure I wanna wait 4 or 5 months for it. If this Sony comes out soon I might be tempted.

Whatever I get will be my first ever non-Apple smartphone.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Are there really high-end Android handsets every two months, or do you mean generally? I think most of us are only interested in high-end Android phones. Even if there are new high-end phones every two months, do you consider that a problem? Just curious.

HTC One X+, Droid DNA, LG Optimus G. All came out last two months, I'm sure there are more device that I didn't list not included Nexus 4. It's not a bad thing but if new headset keeps coming out device makers tend to leave the previous model hanging without any updates since all new headsets have JB.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Nice Sony, with the "Reality" Display, clearly targeting to beat the Retina display :D

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
http://bgr.com/2013/01/07/sony-xper...+TheBoyGeniusReport+(BGR+|+Boy+Genius+Report)

sony-xperia-z-leak.jpg

Sony’s (SNE) CES 2013 press conference is scheduled to start at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on Monday evening, but one of the stars of the show is anything but a mystery. Press images and even a full review of Sony’s upcoming Xperia Z phablet already hit the Internet last month, and now a fresh round of leaked images has been published by Chinese gadget site Digi-wo.com. Xperia Z spec highlights include a 1080p HD display, a quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a microSD slot and a 13-megapixel camera, and Sony is expected to announce launch details during Monday night’s event.

150655wqtvnvnhr3wgv94y.jpg

1509258jksl258fp8j99p2.jpg

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
It's official

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/sony-xperia-z-announced-ces-2013/

Sony's flagship smartphones may not have set the world on fire so far, but the company is making another concerted push in 2013, launching two top-end phones with near-identical internal specs. The Xperia Z is the main player here, with refined mirrored panelling across the sides and back and a machined power button being the only physical undulation from the 5-inch oblong. Sony's put in its latest tech from across the family, being the first device to house its Exmor RS sensor capable of HDR video, and a 1080p 5-inch TFT Reality Display (that's 443 dpi), packing the upgraded Bravia Mobile Engine 2 to augment colors and contrast on videos and stills. From its imaging arm, Sony's cleaned down its on-screen camera interface and is now more inline with its standalone point-and-shoots and NEX range.

Work has also been done on improving the algorithms behind its automatic settings -- now dubbed "auto i+" -- while the phone-maker has caught up to the competition with a 9-megapixel burst mode at 10 fps and the ability to capture stills during video. It's even upgraded the front-facing camera to a 2-megapixel Exmor R sensor, while the rear-facing 13-megapixel primary shooter will be able to capture HDR video -- offering up a new solution to dim filming conditions. Software additions to Jelly Bean Android, alongside those Sony entertainment services, include a battery stamina mode that will monitor and switch off apps when the screen is off, while you'll also be able to add necessary apps to Sony's white list. The phone will be LTE-capable, with a potent Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processor and (perhaps surprisingly, given how the phone looks) IP55 and IP57 certified water-resistance. It'll also be the first phone to communicate through NFC with Sony's family of new HDTVs, something we'll be hearing plenty more about later this week.

The phone has barely appeared on stage here at CES but Sony has promised a global launch this quarter -- and we've already managed to snag some playtime with the device -- you can find our full impressions here.

Come on Samsung, Sony has brought their a-game this year.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
This thing is NICE. REAL NICE. Probably the best looking Android handset I've seen to date. Only thing is the display looking washed out, and the processor maybe being outdated soon. The design is beautiful, and the battery saving feature seems very helpful. I don't like Sony's skin, but don't they open their phones up to allow stock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.