Sony Z1A Powerbook Rip-Off?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ELYXR, Apr 13, 2003.

1. ELYXR macrumors regular

Attached Files:

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

Resemblance is striking, including ports on the side.

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I just saw one of these at Sony Metreon in San Francisco today. Looked cool at first glance (caught my eye all the way across the store), but it's pretty ugly up close (especially when it's closed) and it has a very cheap plastic feel to it. Also, upon closer inspection, it's not as thin as it first appears (notice the 'dip' next to the keyboard). You can see in the photo that the palmrest 'floats' above the desk... the optical drive is located under there, just inset (and black) so it's not obvious. This gives the illusion of an ultra-thin notebook. Lost my interest after about 2 minutes of playing with it.

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, i saw this from one of Sony Style's e-mailings. i've seen some pictures of it, and it does look a bit thick, although they've done well to try and make it thinner at the front.

it's not really upto a comparison with the PowerBook ofcourse, (what PC laptop is?) but if i had to have a PC laptop, it'd definitely have to be one of the Vaio's.

on a similar note... Toshiba has a .7" thin laptop out. Protege series i think, but it's got the most ugly hinges ever. still, it's good to see PC companies finally going away from (or at least starting leave behind) the old massive plastic laptops that have been around for so long.

5. ELYXR thread starter macrumors regular

Back in the days of the cassette tape Walkman, Sony made some really innovative stuff. I remember a walkman that was about the size of cassette tape made out of brushed metal... simply gorgeous! I hope they go back to that kind of design philosophy. The current MD walkmans are super ugly!
    But this is a real breath of fresh air from Sony.

6. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Sony Z1A Powerbook Rip-Off?

augh that is tooo close :D i saw one of those on a tv show, guess they wanted thre powerbook look without the trouble of hiding the apple logo