Sony Z530i

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yg17, May 26, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm considering buying that phone, unlocked from eBay, because my Moto V551 is a piece of crap. Few questions:

1. Is this any better than my moto?
    2. How well does it work with Cingular (its unlocked, so I guess it will work?)
    3. How about bluetooth and OSX? Both iSync syncing and for transferring files such as ringtones
    4. How's the MP3 player on it? Does it have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack?

Thanks

2. ChibiOne macrumors newbie

Great phone!

I was just considering buying a Nokia 6103, or a SE z520, when they finally released the z530i here in my country. It lacks the external color display of the z520, but then again, I didn't find its quality so great; I thought "I can live with that", and grabbed the 530 exactly one week ago.

I have no regrets.

---------
    1. Is this any better than my moto?
    2. How well does it work with Cingular (its unlocked, so I guess it will work?)
    ---------

I'm sorry, I can't help you there: don't know the Moto, and there's no Cingular in my country.

---------
    3. How about bluetooth and OSX? Both iSync syncing and for transferring files such as ringtones
    ---------

I own a 1GHz iBook. I have a USB Bluetooth adapter and it detected the SE phone with no problems. You can do file transfers without problems: pictures, video files, mp3, midi...

The only thing is, this phone is not yet supported by iSync... officialy, that is. There is a "home-made" plug-in that adds this functionality to iSync. So far, I've found no problems with it. You can find it here:

http://mobile.feisar.com/z530isync22.html

Check out that website. It's filled with tons of useful stuff for Mac-SE integration.

---------
    4. How's the MP3 player on it? Does it have a standard 3.5mm headphone jack?
    ---------
    I don't actually care too much for its MP3 player since I already own an iPod (mini). I find it's sound quality to be nice; however, it does NOT have a headphone jack. You'd have to get a bluetooth ear-piece, I guess. On the plus side, this phone has a Memory-Stick Micro slot to expand its built-in 25MB storage space.

I've found that the SE z530 is a great mid-range phone. I am enjoying it very much. Hope this info helps you, too. :D

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks for the reply, but I hate to tell you this, but you wasted your time :D I ended up getting the w810i a couple weeks back.