Sony's Answer to MS Media Center

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rebob, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Rebob macrumors newbie

"Consumer electronics giant Sony (NYSE: SNE) released its new PSX device at the CEATEC Japan 2003 consumer electronics show, and it's a truly stunning machine.

Set for release in Japan this year, then Europe and the U.S., the PSX combines a PlayStation 2 game system -- and its ability to play both next-generation online games and original PlayStation titles -- with a television tuner and video recording system, DVD player/recorder, and more. (The "X" stands for "crossover.")

It's also beautiful, seemingly combining Sony's best design ideas with, say, those of Apple Computer (Nasdaq: AAPL), Bose, and maybe Steven Spielberg. (An Australian Sony page has a small gallery at the bottom.) There's little doubt that just about anyone into gaming or high-end electronics will look very seriously at this device.

(Article goes on to compare PSX to Apple Cube)

http://www.fool.com/news/mft/2003/m...lnk303100&logvisit=y&npu=y&bounce=y&bounce2=y

2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

At a whopping $720 to $880, this PSX will fail miserably. I'd pick one up for $300 tops.

--Waluigi

3. iGav macrumors G3

You only think it's worth $300 (UK £180) for a feature set like that?? :eek: :rolleyes:

If you price up a PS2, a decent DVD Player, a DVD recorder, a DVR and a broadband net connection, then Sony are right on the money here... ;)

Plus you end up with a phunky piece of kit, rather than the usual 3 or 4 nasty looking, el' cheapo boxes under your telly!!

Only thing I dislike about it, is it's name.... PSX... I'm really not into all this 'X' crap... :D

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My computer started barking and growling while I was looking at the gallery. it took me a while to figure it was for the dog game, not a comment on Sony's design ethic:D

Yeah Gav, what's with this outdated X stuff? Thats like soooo yesterday;)

5. rasha macrumors newbie

Amazing price

The specs show that the DVD recorder is capable of 24X speed. This is a leapfrog in technology.

The price is good considering it is a DVD recorder and Tivo unit along with a built in PS2. I thik Sony is on to something with this device. The future may hold a PS3 with DVD-R, HD for tivo like capabilities, HD decoder, and WiFi and Bluetooth for maybe syncing with mp3s on a computer. This is a good looking device for convergence.

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It wasn't too long ago that a DVD recorder alone would cost you $720+.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I've got a DVD +/- R/RW in my PowerBook... I can play online games and computer games. If I had an emulator, and a good enough graphics subsytem, I could play PS2 games. I can also do much, much more, and with a TV tuner card, I can watch cable on my Mac... I can also carry it around in my backpack, and use it during class. Sure, it costed me $2000, but it can do so much more...

These devices seem to me to be for the rich, and the people who want techno-gadgets like that... It really has no use to me, though...

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That dog freaked the **** out of me and woke up my roommate...damnit, I wish they had some kind of warning...

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Haaaaah! :D :D

What kind of volume did you have the machine up to?

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Just my PowerBook with the volume up maybe 35-40%.