Sony's Answer to MS Media Center

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rebob, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Rebob macrumors newbie

Oct 7, 2003
    "Consumer electronics giant Sony (NYSE: SNE) released its new PSX device at the CEATEC Japan 2003 consumer electronics show, and it's a truly stunning machine.

Set for release in Japan this year, then Europe and the U.S., the PSX combines a PlayStation 2 game system -- and its ability to play both next-generation online games and original PlayStation titles -- with a television tuner and video recording system, DVD player/recorder, and more. (The "X" stands for "crossover.")

It's also beautiful, seemingly combining Sony's best design ideas with, say, those of Apple Computer (Nasdaq: AAPL), Bose, and maybe Steven Spielberg. (An Australian Sony page has a small gallery at the bottom.) There's little doubt that just about anyone into gaming or high-end electronics will look very seriously at this device.

(Article goes on to compare PSX to Apple Cube)
  2. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2003
    At a whopping $720 to $880, this PSX will fail miserably. I'd pick one up for $300 tops.

3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    You only think it's worth $300 (UK £180) for a feature set like that?? :eek: :rolleyes:

If you price up a PS2, a decent DVD Player, a DVD recorder, a DVR and a broadband net connection, then Sony are right on the money here... ;)

Plus you end up with a phunky piece of kit, rather than the usual 3 or 4 nasty looking, el' cheapo boxes under your telly!!

Only thing I dislike about it, is it's name.... PSX... I'm really not into all this 'X' crap... :D
  4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    My computer started barking and growling while I was looking at the gallery. it took me a while to figure it was for the dog game, not a comment on Sony's design ethic:D

Yeah Gav, what's with this outdated X stuff? Thats like soooo yesterday;)
  5. rasha macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    Amazing price

The specs show that the DVD recorder is capable of 24X speed. This is a leapfrog in technology.

The price is good considering it is a DVD recorder and Tivo unit along with a built in PS2. I thik Sony is on to something with this device. The future may hold a PS3 with DVD-R, HD for tivo like capabilities, HD decoder, and WiFi and Bluetooth for maybe syncing with mp3s on a computer. This is a good looking device for convergence.
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    It wasn't too long ago that a DVD recorder alone would cost you $720+.
  7. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've got a DVD +/- R/RW in my PowerBook... I can play online games and computer games. If I had an emulator, and a good enough graphics subsytem, I could play PS2 games. I can also do much, much more, and with a TV tuner card, I can watch cable on my Mac... I can also carry it around in my backpack, and use it during class. Sure, it costed me $2000, but it can do so much more...

These devices seem to me to be for the rich, and the people who want techno-gadgets like that... It really has no use to me, though...
  8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    That dog freaked the **** out of me and woke up my roommate...damnit, I wish they had some kind of warning...
  9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    -Haaaaah! :D :D

What kind of volume did you have the machine up to?
  10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    Just my PowerBook with the volume up maybe 35-40%.