Sony's Attempt at a Revolution killer???

Discussion in 'Games' started by d_saum, Feb 24, 2006.

1. d_saum macrumors 6502

d_saum

I found this and thought it was interesting.
    I seriously don't think this is going to affect the rev, but it might be interesting to see what they can do.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't even think that is true...sounds like hot air to me. Sony focus is on the PS3.

Bless

3. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

If it's true, the system may compete with the Revolution, but it will in no way destroy it. It would be a pathetic move on Sony's part.... although they might need to do it, considering the ridiculous costs for the PS3.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You don't even know what the cost of the PS 3 will be, how can you say this?

And the Rev is certainly going to be a cheap toy compared to the PS 3 anyway. I would say the Rev is a pathetic attempt at being a next gen console, if any console to hit the market this next year.

5. supergod macrumors 6502

Judging by the past, it is clear that Sony will continue to support the PS2 after the PS3 has been released for at least a few years. It will still sell in significant numbers if the price is low. Since it's rubbish as a graphics intensive, internet, or media machine, who knows? Releasing cheap games that make use of the Eyetoy is a distinct possibility. Releasing more simple, games for the PS2 works well because the PS3 will be backwards compatible, so you're really hitting quite a large market.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You don't even know what the Rev will be like, how can you say this?

:p

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

I wonder what the article means by "Revolution Style games". Are they referring to the way that the games are played or what? I really don't think that Sony is going to pull of a Half-A**ed attempt at copying the Revolution, especially at the (probable) expense of the PS3. There really is no way that they can cheaply copy the Revolution and have it be worth anything.

8. supergod macrumors 6502

I think all they mean by "revolution style" is games focused on being GAMES! Not imitating movies: just cheaply made games that are fun and easy to play.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

It can't be a "Rev. Style" then because sony's eyetoy has been out for a while with simple fun games of this style(without a control stick).....hot air.

Bless

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually this could be a problem.

If Nintendo get the Rev out before this copycat, they can at least claim plagirism and copyright infringment.

If Sony get this add on out before Nintendo I'm not sure where Nintendo would stand.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats funny, I always saw the Playstation's as pathetic. PS1 was weak, PS2 was weak, PSP has bad games, PS3 is powerful but at an (estimated) extreme cost. Plus they're all the same but with a little added extra juice. for christs sake they're still using the same button layout! it's almost the same uncomfortable controller that dogged my paws for the past decade too.

I can imagine some games coming out. But I foresee it being similar to these DS clone games the PSP is getting. Like that virtual dog game for example. Nintendo will lead in software and everyone else will blindly follow. Already they're doing this by just hinting that they will have a "revolution killer".

... Is this like the iPod killer of theirs? And their desktop PC killer? Their real life dog killer? :D
    Cheers Sony, but no cheers.

My other takes... The xbox was a fantastic piece of kit. Just like (perhaps?) the Xbox 360 it looks to have a terrible first year or 2 and then it will become a brilliant machine. Modding and chipping will definitely make it a better buy too. The Dreamcast was way under-rated. best 128bit machine IMO. The PS2 was a shoddy piece of equipment that was a bad BAD sequel of the phenomenal PS1. they really did just stick a DVD player and a faster chip and said "right, we're done". The PSP could be so much more. But frankly it isn't. When it IS. I'll get one. The Rev feels like it's the only system to match up to the feeling of the first PS1 and the NES before it. something genuinely new, not *another* rehash.
    in a nutshell I love the PS1 (maybe more so than my Nintendo consoles, not handhelds though), the Xbox 1 and the DC so shhh those who are going to scream fanboy.
    ...But moreso the Megadrive. Co-op Streets of Rage 2 anyone?

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I doubt it, but I do remember hearing a few months back about a Sony developed "wand" where the EyeToy tracks its movement in space and thus it functions similar to the Revolution controller, only EyeToy tracked (very different principle than the Rev controller in how it works, and it lacks some of the functions like detecting exactly where on the screen you're pointing, but still very similar).

However, I'd expect developers would view it as an extra addon and not support it very well. Look at the EyeToy. The vast majority of games pretend it doesn't exist.

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

All we know is that Sony has said it will be more than the XBox 360, which many already consider expensive.

ROFL! Talk about a hypocrite!

"PS3 will be too expensive."
    "You don't even know the price of the PS3! How can you say that? And Revolution will be pathetic."

You don't even know the specs of the Revolution. All we know is that it will be the lowest priced system of the next generation, have free online, have a controller that functions as both a light gun, gyromouse, and motion sensor, AND have a games downloading service and built in WiFi.

All positives so far. Only negative is lack of HD support.

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Things we don't know either, As a matter of fact we know nothing of either system so all is "don't know"....we will only know when these things are confirmed at E3(hopefully)

I won't respond to the bashing(once again)

Bless

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What are you talking about? The things I listed were confirmed at LAST YEAR'S E3.

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Who says they can not change? i trust no company when they say something far ahead of the product shipping. Just as Sony stated crap Nintendo could do the same...until that console is ready to play it's not.

Bless

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    What about digital audio out? Standard disc size? Controllers? All have been sub-par on previous nintendo machines. The PS 3 spec wise will completely kick its ass, and let's just say "MGS4." The 360 is impressive in itself as well.

You Nintendo fanboys are worse than Microsoft fanboys.

18. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

I thought the GameCube was an awesome console. I'm not sayin this bc I'm a Nintendo "fanboy" either... I like all 3 companies. I think the 360 is an OK machine... it has awesome features, games, and online play (however it costs $). Also the console is too much money for my liking. Sony however is a different story, I like the games for PS2 and have had every playstation i think. (only 2, right?) But Sony makes piece of s*** consoles. My PS2 couldnt read a disk after 2 years, we had to get a whole new console. That wasn't the greatest thing ever.. Nintendo I have had no problems with though. The downside to Nintendo I believe are the games... they dont appeal to much people. I like the games somewhat because my favorite games of all time are SuperSmashBros. and Super Mario 64, so I cant wait for Super Mario 128! I also LOVE Zelda games... however it seems that thats all Nintendo has going for it... xBox and PS2 seem to get the most attention when it comes to the universal games such as James Bond, Need for Speed, Tony Hawk, etc...

So I don't believe that Nintendo sucks, that may be your opinion but each company has its pros and cons. You gotta look at everything, so they all seem to balance out. Same thing with political issues, theres always more than one side to a story. Usually a moderate approach is better than an extremist/radical one. sorry for ranting... it just annoys me when people say bad things about something bc of their own opinion, when in reality theres many factors that need to be taken account of. but then again, thats opinion, and everyone is entitled to their one and ya gotta respect that.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We don't know in the Revolution's case.

The Revolution uses standard disk size.

Wow. You're calling US fanboys? The N64 pioneered the analog stick and rumble and Sony had to directly rip it off by releasing a NEW CONTROLLER to copy them. Every Nintendo system has outperformed every equivilant Sony system ever released. How quickly people forget history. All you're doing is a round of Nintendo-bashing and Sony-obsessing.

All I've gotten from you is, "You can't say bad things about the PS3's price because all we know is that it's more than the 360, but we can say bad things about the Revolution because we know it's less than the 360 and I didn't like Nintendo's previous stuff."

Call me a fanboy if you wish, but read your own posts and you know I'm right.

20. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

What has been stated so far about the Revolution via Reggie and others is true. It is playable at corporate and everything so far is true. You have yet to learn the half of what the Revolution has but you can count on it being out before Thanksgiving, under $300, wi-fi out of the box and it is backwards compatiable with GC games. And you can DL all the games from the NES, SNES and N64. Those facts are not changing. But there are a lot more positives you have yet to here. You can also count on Smash Brothers to be a launch title and it is online.......And you can backup the games you DL to your computer.

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

To me, that's a HUGE negative.

But since Nintendo is commonly thought to target the kiddie market*, and most kiddies do not have HDTVs in their bedrooms, this may not be such a big problem.

* No, I'm not saying that ALL Nintendo owners are kids. But the conventional wisdom is that Nintendos are played by kids, PlayStations are played by teenagers and young adults, and Xbox consoles are played by "older" players who have more money. Those are just the peak markets for each console, and each console has representation all up and down the age spectrum.

22. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

But eye toy cant even "see" 3-d movement right? So it cant see how far your are from the screen, it has no buttons etc like the revolution controller. I don't think eye toy is the same thing at all really.

23. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

No, if they are trying to simulate the Revolution controller using only an eyeToy, it's not "similar", it's a joke. You can't do it. Very primitive by comparison.

24. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

On the HD topic, how many college kids do you know with HD sets, too? I don't know any. HD doesn't matter to any of us. We're still playing Xbox 360 on SD sets, crappy ones, too.

25. mac.head.high macrumors regular

mac.head.high

Sony Has its Own Magic Wand in the Works

Magic Wand.png Magic Wand 2.gif

From-
    http://ps3.qj.net/Sony-Has-its-Own-Magic-Wand-in-the-Works/pg/49/aid/365