Sony's new 2012 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by charlieegan3, May 2, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

How can they look so similar?

Why can't other companies come up with a more imaginative look?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors newbie

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

don't you find it depressing that everyone just copies apple these days? if they spent less time copying (while dodging patents) and more time innovating everything would be better for the consumer.

4. macrumors regular

lgwells1

People will still buy it though, it's a shame that Sony higher ups actually approve this outright copy for retail. Shame.

5. macrumors 603

thekev

You really need to post way more than a single angle. Right now you're just flamebaiting and trolling. There's nothing more to it. Look at some of the older Vaios. They have a wider range of designs, some of which might not fit your agenda. The overall layout of keyboard, screen, and trackpad is similar to many that predated the current macbook pro design. Apple was accused of ripping off the Vaio when they migrated to this design. I didn't lend that any more credence than I would give to your mental diarrhea.

6. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed im sure many laptops look like this from the birdseye view

7. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

No, corporate photocopying doesn't warrant any amount of time for me to worry about it. Why is it depressing?

8. thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

companies failing to remain original and lacking originality in their new products. Considering sony's past (playstation) I think this is sad.

9. macrumors 604

theSeb

Everyone copies everyone. Look at the 2010/2011 MBA. It looks a lot like the Sony Vaio X505VP, which was made back in 2004, if I recall correctly.

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 603

thekev

It's not just that. The design isn't really a departure from prior art. Everything you see from this angle was mostly the same on some models when the macbook pro transitioned to the design it holds today. Of course now the response will be that they're stagnant:rolleyes:. Sony does not seem like they've been doing as well on laptop sales, but the OP here is still just blatantly trolling. He found a model which from that angle fit his agenda, and posted it. There's nothing objective about that.

11. macrumors 65816

Are you arguing for apple or against them? They're just as guilty as any other company. Not that its necessarily a bad thong though...If a round wheel works, why try to re-invent it?

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

neither, i'm just bringing up something that is becoming an issue today. Not just here but elsewhere too (galaxy, iphone etc etc)

13. macrumors 604

theSeb

Actually VAIO is currently one of Sony's best performing operations in terms of revenue and profits right now and is helping to reduce the issues/losses from the TV divisions.

14. macrumors 603

thekev

Doh! I read otherwise a number of times and I couldn't find any good current reference on it.

15. macrumors 604

theSeb

It's all relative mate. VAIO is doing great in comparison to the TV business. "In comparison to the TV business" is the key phrase. :)

Digital Imaging is also making some money, but overall the company is not looking great. They will now be restructuring the European operation and some people working on the business side will no longer be needed. The IT side has already gone through this.

The big problem is the waste of money that goes on in Japan and the unwillingness to lay-off on that side of the world.

16. macrumors 68000

If that's an attempt to copy Apple then let em at it. It looks really horrible. Stupid Sony, thou should know better.

17. macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

How many different ways can you make a laptop.

18. macrumors 6502

I find it a bit funny that even though they are so similar, Apple's still looks better to me.

19. macrumors 68000

I believe it was Apple that copied Sony with that keyboard. Also Sony had a "Macbook Air" in 2004 already.

20. macrumors regular

knowing sony, it probably costs 150% the price of the mbp

21. macrumors 6502

I thought apple products usually cost more?

22. macrumors 68030

Omg, it's silver/metallic, call the lawyers!!!!

Sony had a silver laptop with black keys in 2003 (the Z1, from which the Macbook Air actually took some inspiration). If anything, they are copying from themselves, and adapting to new standards (chicklet keyboard).

23. macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

24. macrumors 68030

SDAVE

You think Apple is original?

Just takes Dieter Rams' projects from Braun and rehashes them and calls it their own.

Dieter Rams isn't original either. Minimal design is based on utilitarian needs and mass consumerism. It's been done before Dieter around/after the Bauhaus era.

25. macrumors 6502a