Sony's TGS Press Conference

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Sep 21, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Right...so it's over and he made mention about....1 game....right

Again, Sony PR to the rescue of their crappy press :rolleyes:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... that was over quickly and without a fuss. so nothing major happened at all? just a game?

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I thought the press conference was tomorrow...oh well at least they are going to have good games to play.

Bless

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Krazy Kenny talked about networking and his dreams and evolving it as a media centre and how the hardware (im guessing blu-ray) may seem overkill now but in the future, once everything catches up, it will be ready for it.

But nothing exciting, seems all the writers are pissed about the lack of game news. Personally I was expecting some sort of "HEY! PS3 still kicks ass because, new at TGS, We present the _____________ feature!" but alas... eurogamer.net has good updates from it.

OH! and check out Liar for PS3 over at IGN...looks like Drakengard but sweeter and it will actually use the PS3's "unique" (a shot at Sony for all the Nintendo Fanboys lurking around) controller. And BioShock for 360 looks so sweet. I like this better than E3 already

Heyyy just saw this little nugget

"A question on why HDMI only is in the high level version of the PS3 only. Kutaragi explains that sony was worried that if they put the HDMI in the lower version, some would complain about having to pay for something they don't want. However, HDMI penetration has come faster than expected. He then asks people if they want HDMI in all models. Everyone in the audience says yes. He then confirms that all models, including the 20 gig version, will have an HDMI port"

from http://ps3.ign.com/articles/734/734010p1.html

although so far this is only for Japan, hmmmm

and the price has dropped to below 50,000 yen which is about $420US/$480cdn, all this for japan tho (so far anyway)

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    *rubs tears from eyes* THERE'S GOOD NEWS FOR THE PS3?!?!?! Holy crap! I can't believe it! They love us, they REALLY LOVE US!!!!!!

This is indeed good news. Less for people to cry about. Better choice. Bringing the 20G unit into a very good price range...

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Sounds good to me(bet you any money that people will still complain, watch them post away)....but sounds like the ken dude was still going on about the same thing he said at E3....come on Ken dude tell us something good. I hope they let the games do the talking.

Bless

7. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

although the reason to buy a 60GB model has just dropped. assuming this goes global, i COULD spend $100+ more and get the 60GB version OR i could spend the 100 bucks towards buying a 120GB SATA hardrive :D The memory card reader and the Wifi can both be connected via USB so unless you want them built it or must have the bigger hard drive at launch then the 20GB seems like a lot better deal now...and plus the little chrome stripe is so lame :p the all black is sleeker

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Some Notable headlines so far in TGS:
    TGS 2006: Ninja Gaiden Set for PS3
    a remake of the Xbox title, with more moves, Rachael as a playable character (where the story is seen from her perspective), expanded maps and graphics, and of course, new and completely re-done cinemas.

SEGA Suits Up for Armored Core 4
    Meaning that Agetec will most likely not be involved in the process. A shame for sure.

There's also a new Resistance: Fall of Man trailer, and just as well, an MGS4 trailer will playable footage. Which is definitely the most diverse as far as the moves go that MGS has ever offered, or any other action game for that matter. http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/714/714044/vids_1.html

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

What? Good news for the PS3? Isn't that some kind of sin? *notices Hell is freezing over as well*

Well, if I ever choose to get a PS3, the 20 gig model having HDMI is better for me now. :)

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah if the PS3 can do wireless from a standard usb dongle, I'd go for the 20gb model if it had HDMI. But until Sony confirms ANYTHING we will wait and see. After all, this could just be a blurted out statement...

If they limit this to Japan too, that will piss me off (especially since I have to wait till MARCH to get my grubby mits on one)...

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

well first good sony news since a long time... finally they give the lower model hdmi
    though i don't know if the japan price drop is in reaction to price drop/bundles of the 360 which are dirty cheap in japan

well if i look at the japanese release list of games from sony i think march isn't bad even in japan

11.11.06 - Genji (Game Republic)
    11.11.06 - Resistance: Fall of Man (Insomniac)
    December 2006 - Gran Turismo HD (Polyphony Digital)
    December 2006 - Formel 1 (Sony)
    December 2006 - MotorStorm (Evolution)
    Spring/early-year 2007 - The Eye of Judgment (Sony)
    Spring/early-year 2007 - Heavenly Sworld (Ninja Theory)
    Spring/early-year 2007 - Monster Kingdom Unknown Realms (Game Republic)
    Spring/early-year 2007 - Lair (Factor 5)
    Summer 2007 - Warhawk (Sony)
    Summer 2007 - Boku no Natsuyasumi 3 (Sony)
    Summer 2007 - Everybody's Golf 5 (Sony)
    2007 - Afrika (Sony)
    TBA - White Knight Story (Level 5)
    TBA - flOw (Sony)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

From what I've seen, and it's even made by the same developers, Lair looks to be Rogue Leader with dragons. The GUI is identical. I expected more from Factor 5, they're gods to me.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

wow that is sparse... guess they dont need many games when you've only got 100,000 consoles for launch ;) :D

Also the HDMI - i read on IGN that the ratio of packs is 80% premium / 20% core. So not that many of them, and it will make the cheaper pack even harder to get hold of, in the US, Japan & I guess UK....

you should know better than to worship false prophets :p

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

If the lower priced core model + HDMI makes it'S way over here, I'll be getting one sooner than I thouht…*much sooner. Very good news.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Funny how the Core model with HDMI seems more attractive to a lot of us than the premium bundle with 60gb & wifi

And yet without HDMI we'd all get the premium and wouldnt touch the core with a bargepole.

I guess Sony REALLY picked up on that too...

Hopefully the 80/20 ratio will be adjusted otherwise the chances of finding one at retail will be very slim (about as much chance as finding an unsodomised sheep in Wales) :D

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I think one of the reason for that is that the core system can now be updated later to have the same specs as the premium system. (Provided the hard drive is user replaceable.)

What are the chances will see the cheaper HDMI core system over here?

17. Natsus macrumors member

HDMI is confirmed to be in both models for US and Europe as well. Price drop is Japan only.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153875&did=1

18. Oofie macrumors regular

So I guess it's still 499 and 599 here? Do you guys think that the NA market will aslo follow the Japanese prices?

19. Natsus macrumors member

From what Ken said, my guess is no. Prices will still remain the same. I wouldn't expect a price drop until 2007

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I wonder if the Jap machine can be made to have english menus (like the psp) so I can import one of them ?

21. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

If Sony dropped the price here as well I bet that it might change A LOT of people's minds, mine being one of them.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ yep it would silence all those saying it's too expensive in one foul swoop.

Will it happen ? Don't know... For Europe they are in No Hurry to make an announcement, but I watch what they do in the States with bated breath.

Though if they did drop the core to say $420 that would make an awful difference between the $599 model with its extra 40gb and wifi ? I cant imagine many people would willingly pay $180 for such a small difference...

Maybe for that alone, they wont offer us the same deal at all. :(

23. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Indeed it would be very nice. Although, for me, the price was already dropped $100 today (Premium --> Basic)

24. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

indeed, sony could have dealt a very nice blow to MS (until MS drops their price anyway) The 60GB model better have like a free remote or a bluray movie or something to justify spending 100+$ more for 40GB (which i can just go buy a bigegr one myself) wifi and a 5$ flashcard reader...