Soon to be iPad owner but have iTunes 9.2

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Geoff., Jun 17, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Im soon getting an ipad and was planning on jailbreaking it with spirit but i updated to iTunes 9.2 yesterday :/

Can i downgrade to 9.1 or am i stuck for now?

2. macrumors 65816

stuck for now, but i am sure it won't be long.

3. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

4. macrumors 68020

scirica

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Geoff.

Hmm i came up with an idea because even if i downgrade it on my mac i'd still be kind of afraid to risk bricking it.

Can i set it on my mac when i get it and sync it etc

but download iTunes 9.1 for my old windows desktop and jailbreak it on that?

6. macrumors member

7. macrumors 68020

scirica

You won't brick it. Downgrade on your Mac and enjoy your Spirit jailbreak!

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Reading comex's tweets it seems that they managed to get out the infinite loop thing by ruining spirit jailbreak twice.... However I still would not recommend doing so. Stick with iTunes 9.1.1

9. macrumors regular

So what is the issue with 9.2 and the spirit jailbreak? I have been running spirit since it came out and recently updated itunes and haven't had any issues.

How does itunes effect jailbroken ipads? I don't see the relation. You don't use itunes to jailbreak.

10. macrumors G4

Night Spring

There's no issue with an already jailbroken iPad, the problem occurs when you try to jailbreak an iPad with iTunes 9.2 installed, either because you just got a new iPad, or you had to restore it for some reason. I believe jailbreak programs like Spirit relies on some component of iTunes to work, and that component got modified in the 9.2 update.

11. macrumors regular

Can anyone else confirm that 9.2 iTunes won't work with a jail broken iPad??

I plan to go to 9.2 when I get the iphone4... This could be a potential conflict.

12. macrumors regular

Okay, that makes a bit more sense. Thanks

13. macrumors 6502

So we can use another computer that has an older iTunes just to Jailbreak (say my office computer) and still be able to sync with no problems at home, which would be updated to 9.2? Thanks

14. macrumors newbie

Yes, you can downgrade from 9.2 to 9.1.1, full tutorial here. Oxyjan iTunes Downgrade Support

Pako :apple:

15. macrumors newbie

Also support Mac now, Oxyjan now provides linked file of 9.1.1 Mac DMG file

16. macrumors newbie

I've done a daft thing, forgetting that I had upgraded iTunes to 9.2 I restored my ipad using iTunes 9.2, my question is if I downgrade my iTunes back to 9.1.1 will spirit jailbreak the ipad even though it was restored with 9.2 iTunes without any problems? Ie will it end up in that boot loop thing,

17. macrumors newbie

Edit to my last post,

I took the plunge and tried the spirit jailbreak after restoring my ipad with iTunes 9.2 and low and behold it all went very well, no boot loop, no wifi or cydia problems, exactly as it should go, it's hard to believe all the people that said do not do a fresh spirit jailbreak at iTunes 9.2 because it worked for me,

18. macrumors newbie

Hi Jassonaylorx, would like to seek your help to clarify what you did with your iPad.

My new iPad 3.2 was sync with my iTunes 9.2 (I upgraded as I was prompted by iTunes to do so, otherwise my new iPad could not be started). If I downgrade to iTunes to 9.1.1, would I still be able to jailbreak my iPad with Spirit? Any chance of bricking it? Thanks for your help.

19. macrumors 6502

Why bother when you can JailBreak from 9.2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cBQI8UL_QI

Works a treat - just done my new 64GB iPad I picked up today, half price, as it had no box and the smallest scratch on the back that can't even be seen because it's in a leather case now.

20. macrumors 6502a

The website still says not to jb with 9.2 so I don't know if I would trust it....

I originally had 9.2 but installed 9.1.1 and was able to jailbreak it fine.

21. macrumors 6502a

I just JB'd a few days ago with 9.2. What's the problem?

22. macrumors member

I too just jailbroke my iPad with iTunes 9.2 using Spirit. I didn't have any problems.

23. macrumors 68020

scirica

Good to know if I need to re-jailbreak. I've been enjoying Spirit since day 1 and so far no need to restore!

24. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Indeed. I did the same on Win7 after a restore, with zero issues.

25. macrumors 6502a

Spirit was updated to work with iTunes 9.2 like a month ago.