(soon-to-be new Mac Owner) 15" PB on the way. Need advice for case/sleeve!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by acousticECHO, May 1, 2005.

1. acousticECHO macrumors newbie

May 1, 2005
    I know there have been several threads on this already, but I needed a bit more specific advice :rolleyes:

So here's my situation. I've been a Windows/PC guy for 18 years now (*GASP!*) and thought I'd never leave the wonderful critical-error prone OS-baby of Mr. Bill Gates. Since I'm going to college in a few months, I figured I'd invest in a laptop (never had one before). Of course I went through several retailers...all windows-based notebooks, until a friend of mine showed off his brand new 17" Powerbook...in action. My reaction? A mixture of :eek: :D :confused: :) .

Three weeks later, after much research I decided to order a 15.2" PowerBook (w/ SuperDrive).

Now that it's (hopefully) shipped and on it's way, I've spent the past few days looking for a good case/sleeve. I've never owned a laptop before, so everything was all new to me. So here's where I am so far:

As of right now, I am deciding between:

(a PowerSleeve 14, said to fit a 15" powerbookbetter than the PowerSleeve 15 :confused: )

Shinza Zero-Shock 15"

My friends recently bought me a brand new backpack:

Northface Jester

so I'll probably end up lugging all my stuff (including the powerbook encased in one of the two above) in that backpack.

If you were me, which of the two would you get?

(Sorry that this post was so long! From what I've read, everyone on here seems very friendly and helpful - thanks in advance!)

- jon
  2. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    i love my targus case. its great cause i need the compartments. brenthaven is a great brand also. i used to have an incase sleeve from the apple store but those are worthless in terms of protection.
  3. jnicolso1 macrumors member

Sep 1, 2004
    If you wished to spend a bit more money you could get a pelikan case, they are a hard water proof laptop case. I used onw with my 15" powerbook offshore and it did a great job, I have just got a new 17" powerbook and it does not fit so I am going to look a ZERO Halliburton case. If can raise the $1400 to get it. At them moment I have a laptop armour case and a sleve to protect the machine.
  4. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

Jan 10, 2005
    the capitol

brenthaven backpack pro all the way, the nicest laptop case and also (amazingly!) the nicest backpack I have ever owned, I tried hard-shell, but the brenthaven offers the most protection and looks the backpack looks very professional, yet NOT like a laptop case, even stands up to heavy abuse. Lifetime warranty also, check out their website it shows the insides/durability. Very nice case, $119 direct from apple's higher-ed store
  5. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    radtech.com has some nice sleeves. You can put the powerbook in that and then in whatever case/backpack/bag you want.
  6. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    street cred...

Sounds like you have your mind made up but... timbuk2

I use one of their sleeves with a North Face Borealis. Never had a problem.

But now that I think about it, there is no street cred when the wonderful sleeve is hidden by a North Face pack. True street cred would exist if I combined the timbuk2 with an Arcteryx but alas...

Nonetheless, congratulations on your purchase. Hope everything works out for you. If you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to post. There are many many entities here who can help...
  7. gdprof27 macrumors member

Dec 27, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Hey...welcome to the club. I have the same exact PB that you have and have been very happy with my bag purchase.

I went with the Kensington Saddlebag which I bought at Comp USA for about $50. It has all the pockets I could ever need, a very nicely padded section for the PB (which fits perfectly) and is really quite stylish without saying ""mug me" while sitting on the subway.

Whatever you go with...enjoy the hell out of your new mobile HQ...my PowerBook has amazed me numerous time already over the course of our first month together!
  8. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

Apr 25, 2005
    Canada, eh!
    Nice choice. I just got a 15" SD Powerbook also (1.5G RAM).

I got the Crumpler School Hymn. It's sturdy and I stuff it into my Eastpak backpack. However, that North Face looks cool. It's massive @ 30L. Nice friends!

The Crumpler is basic an no-nonsense. It's soft on the inside, hard on the outside and fits the 15" PB very well. I bought mine on eBay for about $40 including shipping.

9. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    I'm picking up my new 15" at the Apple Store this Thursday.

Up until just now, I was planning on getting a Radtech tekmõd, plus a Radtech PowerSleevz..

However, I just noticed on Radtech's page a new product, the "Neosleeve", which looks rather cool.

I own several Radtech products, including a case for my iBook, and I can attest to their products being of top quality, so if you order something from them, you can't go wrong. :)
  10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    Shinza Zero Shock. Best I have ever used, its like that temperpedic mattress stuff so it can absorb moderate damage without it even phasing the PowerBook.