Soon to be Switcher needs advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iRic, May 10, 2004.

1. iRic macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Well, I've been lusting after Macs for so long now and I'm finally ready to make the switch for good. I need a laptop really badly for Photoshop, Web design, emails, etc. My current Windoze keeps crashing and has caused me far too many sleepless nights. So, I'm ready and I've decided on the Powerbook. But, my problem is I also want the 23in display. (I figure go all the way!) What I'm trying to decide is whether I should wait a little longer to see if new displays are introduced at WWDC. All rumors seem to point to updates then. So, if I wait and they do come out with new ones, I could either get a new one with updated technology or get a price break on the current ones. I want to order the Powerbook at the same time as the display because that seems like the only way to get Applecare on the display. (I got burned big time on a previous display that died shortly after the warranty expired.) Any advice?

One other question. Right now I use Real's Rhapsody on my PC. The main feature I REALLY like is that I can pick any song I want and create my own playlist. It's like an on demand jukebox and great for while I'm working since I totally control the playlist. Does Mac have anything like this?

I am absolutely stoked about getting a Mac!! I can't wait much longer!
  2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    As a pc user, I already think iTunes blows away anything else out there (foobar, QCD, winamp, WMP9, etc.), just with its simplicity.

iTunes has regular playlists (a la Winamp3 style, drag and drop, or right-click); and SMART playlists (which i like as well). You can do things like "Recently Added" (I hate trying to find where the most recently added song was, so I created a smart playlist to do it for me), or you can do something with a combination of genres (hard rock and rap, for example haha).

And iTunes 4.5 has something called Party Shuffle--where it actually lists what it will play next, picking entire selections of songs (in 10's) by random.

Anyway, since iTunes is on both PC and Mac, you should probably start using it rite now before you switch to get used to it (not that'll take long either).
  3. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    Why don't you download iTunes for windows and try it out?
  4. Apmonia macrumors regular

Jul 29, 2003
    Rhapsody cannot be used on the Mac and I haven't found anything like it on this platform. iTunes will not allow to you listen to the whole song in its entirety, only the first thirty seconds. With Rhapsody, one can listen to the whole song and create playlists online without downloading the track (for those of you who have never used Rhapsody before). However, as for ease of use and overall shopping experience, iTunes is much better. You don't have to download straight to a CD and then re-rip the disc.

As for the displays, I would wait. If other updates can give any hint as too what will happen, the price will drop on the new displays when they are released. Unless you need it right now and in that case, buy it, you won't regret it.

Congrats on the switch. Once you go Mac, you don't go back. :)

5. iRic thread starter macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Thanks for responding. As Apmonia explained, Rhapsody does have some nice features. There are songs that I like to listen to, but don't necessarily want to buy so I like just making my own playlist.

Well, I'm still on the fence about getting one now or waiting mainly because other rumors are that displays may be delayed while they try to clear the inventory of the current ones. I guess I can hobble a long with my crappy Windoze laptop for now. Hey, it only crashed on my once yesterday!
  6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2002
    Deep within the heart of madness!
    You should buy one now.

Its a perfect time to buy a Powerbook.

I am sure that you can get APPLEcare for a display without buying them together, cant you? That would be weird if you couldnt!

Wait for displays because they are sure to have a better contrast ratio.
    While the current ones do have 350:1 which is decent compared to Laptop LCD's the newer models are bound to have what other newer Lcd's have about 600:1.

I think that this is worth the wait considering that you use Photoshop!

I just bought a Powerbook and will wait till the new Lcd's arrive.

GO MAC! and never look back. :D
  7. iRic thread starter macrumors newbie

May 10, 2004
    Thanks Grokgod for the response. As strange as it sounds, you can't get the APPLEcare unless you buy a system. At least that's what the guy told me at the store. Maybe he was trying to push to buy both, but I didn't really get that feeling. I think it's crazy too. I am SO ready to switch, but I think I'll wait. I just bought a couple books, one about switching and what to expect. I thought it would appease me until I bought one, but it just makes me want one now! It seems so much easier and just plain better than Windoze! :D