Sooooo many iPods

Discussion in 'Community' started by Solafaa, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I was walking in Hyde ark (London) yesterday and i saw sooooo many people using mp3 players, i saw about 30 people with them, about 27-28 of them were iPods (all kinds) I saw one which was i think a sony and the other i did not know which kind it is. I just wanted to post this and ask do you see as many people with ipods? i feel like huging each one of them even know i dont know them :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I really started noticing them around here at the start of the year. It's like they suddenly hit off Down Under over the 2004 Christmas break. It's awesome!

Heaps of people complain that they're becoming too generic and that now that everyone has one, it's kind of boring. I couldn't agree more. Especially if the revenue flows into cool Mac research and development. :p

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

downtown chicago = iPods all over. taking the EL down i see people all over the place with them, counted 10 in my car alone once. walking down the streets you see them all over the place too. its kinda cool.

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I don't see them all that often. however, I know maybe 25 people who own at least one iPod. I don't know anyone with any other brand of DAP.

Of course, I only hang with the cool kids. :rolleyes:

5. Dark Camel macrumors newbie

The other day i was walking through town (Ipswich , England) and it seems like every other person has an iPod.We look at each other and smile.It's like we're all family ! It's great.

6. lopresmb macrumors 6502

I have a sort of love - hate realtionship with people and ipods.

Love: Apple is making money hand over fist, which is a very good thing.
    there was a time when ipods were cool, only the techno-savy people had them and you could talk to people about them and know what you are talking about.

Hate: now, even though it makes money for apple all the "cool" kids at the university I used to go to as well as kids like my little cousin wants one. these are the people who know nothing about the technology, or even how to rip an album in itunes, they just think they are "cool" cause everyone else has them.

--but I guess it doesn't matter much

7. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

In rockford it seemed everyone got them right after christmas break. I was thinking to my self "yeah im cool I had them mine a year ago." as I walked past them ;) BTW i think that sarcasticly

When I went to NYC there were a ton of iPod users/ iPod ads all over what a nice site.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i totally understand and agree.... its the people who just want one to say that they have one is where the problem comes in, and then when there is a problem they get bent out of shape about it rather than educate themselves. frustrating.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Not to much here, but then again I don't really pay attention. I am way to lazy. But there is this one girl who walks by my locker everyday after skool, flaunting a pink mini and the phones. Annoys the hell out of me...

10. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Yeah I cant stand those people who are go out of there way to show they hve one its like they want a sign over theyre head saying they have one.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

An iPod Hat™. Cool, I think you're onto something there. :cool:

Quick! To the patent office!

12. The Past macrumors 6502

Good Apple is making money. But when the first set of idiots start appearing with iPods (the ones who haven't a clue how to plug the ears), which around here happened start of summer, is when I know I am ready to move.

I am not suggesting there is one way and others are incorrect. But try plugging Apple earbuds incorrectly and see what it does to the ears.

13. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Funny, I still use my iPods around here and people don't even know they are.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ a couple of the previous posters... I was waiting for a table at Cheesecake Factory the other week and saw countless children (and adults! You'd think they would have better manners :mad: ) w/ iPods. I didn't even get a portable CD player until freshman year high school 1998-99 and these kids ages 10 and under are toting around gorgeous iPod minis. What a different time it is for kids growing up today. I can't even begin to imagine how foreign this all might be to even older people! :eek:

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Try walking around DeAnza, it seems like everyone has one :p I was at the cheesecake factory last weekend, the one at Valley Fair.. i don't remember seeing many, but it was later and i really wasn't paying attention to much more than the slinky outfit my wife was wearing :p

*looks over shoulder*

I saw a guy driving and listening to one a few days ago on the 101, i thought that was illegal..

Ed

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Not to mention cell phones...it's sickening to see 7 year olds running around talking to each other on cells. I don't have a cell, don't really need one, and don't plan on getting one until they reform the way they charge for them.

Of course, I'm always behind on the tech angle...I didn't get an email address or CD player until about '98. Didn't get a CD until '96 (and only then because Nintendo stopped making their soundtracks available on cassette :p). I still don't even have a DVD player (other than my computer, that is). Yet, somehow I have 2 iPods...one a gift, another courtesy of Mike Davidson.

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

tons in DC, all over, especially on the metro

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Here, they seem to be an essential accessory for bicycle-riders.

19. nw43 macrumors regular

That must have been annoying to get a CD but then have to wait two years before you had anything to play it on. ;)

Anyway, I keep seeing iPods all over the place as well. It seems like every other person on the bus has one these days. Before I got it I kinda thought this was a bad thing and didn't want to get one because everyone has one and they're like the latest fashion accessory. But then I realised there's a reason why they're popular. Because they are good.

20. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Heh, I knew someone would call that. Actually I used my computer as the CD player for those two years. I didn't get a portable until '98 and still don't have a CD changer unit (my computer still doubles as a jukebox, though mainly CDs are ripped to iTunes as opposed to being played).

21. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I NEVER see people with MP3 players around me! Everyone I notice are still using Discmans!

22. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Both at University and at my gym, nearly everybody has them. It seems the mini is the most popular; I've only ever seen a few Shuffles, and slightly more regular iPods. I do take a wee bit of pride in the fact that I had an iPod before most. Lame, I know, but fun nonetheless :)

23. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Oh no! I cannot imagine life without a cell phone now--not kidding, mine was damaged awhile back and I had to wait 2 days for the insurance company to send me a new one--IT WAS THE WORST 2 days of my life. Pure hell! Now I want a Blackberry and its going to be joined at the hip with me! :)

24. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

ONE MORE THING--I have an ipod, but I am in full support of the ipod phone! I know not too many people are happy about it BUT i would buy one in a heartbeat! :)

25. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

not a lot where I live, though I do know numerous people that own them. but when I go to new york city they are everywhere!