Sooooo Tired....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Dec 8, 2005.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ok, I've noticed that I get really tired after eating a meal, usually a large meal. People keep tellin me food coma, but I think I read somewhere that it's just a myth? I dunno. I always get tired, and I take a nap. Even after small meals. I eventually give in, and lay down and I fall asleep.

Today was especially bad. I had a 6 inch meatball sub, and I was just browsing the net, and after 30 mins. I had moved over to my bed, and fell asleep. I woke up one and a half hours later, feeling really drowsy (it usually doens't feel like this), like I took some drugs.

Anyone else get this? It always messes up my sleep schedule. I know I should just get up and like walk around or sumthin', but it's so hard especially late at night, and I feel like relaxing after I eat. Any suggestions?

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Drink coffee with your meals? :p

Actually, enjoy the sleep. Naps are cool.

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Naps are definitely cool but not when they aren't needed, and I don't consider anything after 30 mins to be napping. I've had caffeine with my meals, it doens't do anything.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Welcome to old age. :p

Try not to eat heavy meals in the afternoon, keeps you sharper as well as regular exercise. Big breakfasts are also the key...

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's also a problem. I can't really eat a big breakfast. My stomach is wierd. I get stomach aches and such, especially in the morning, and that's when I usually have things to do. So i keep it small, really small. Dinner is the only time I really enjoy eating, and relaxing.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You're supposed to feel tired after a large meal, especially ones that are harder to digest.

The reason you feel tired after eating is the same reason you're not supposed to swim after a meal

Once I was so tired after a meal that I fell asleep while sitting in my chair. The weird thing is that I was holding a fork up the entire time. :cool:

7. WillMak macrumors 6502a

your body diverts more blood to the organs in the gastrocavity area after you eat. The reduced amount of blood from your other body parts causes you to feel tired. What your feeling is totally normal.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

"They" say your blood goes to your stomach to work on digesting your food, so the lack of blood elsewhere makes you tired. I get the same way sometimes...

9. MacVibes macrumors newbie

try light healthy food

I get tired after eating meat, but get good energies after a light healthy meal, with a big fresh salad as the main course.

10. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That's sounds dangerous :D .

Hmm, so is that what happens... I never knew that.

I try eating smaller meals, and more often, cause it's supposed to keep your metabolism up. But that's hard, when you got work and stuff.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    What are you eating? Try less starchy carbohydrate foods and more fresh veg, fruit and protein. While much of the GI diet stuff is faddish, eating food with a low glycaemic index does make sure that your energy is sustained after eating.

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Been there, done that. I know avoid a lunch that is larger than what I ate for breakfast. For me, my tiredness gets sort of bad during a Design lecture in the afternoon. I really don't like afternoon classes when I have more than a PB&Jelly sandwich.

13. Melkor macrumors 6502

I used to be like that. You have to force yourself to eat a proper breakfast. You'll get used to it.

edit: did the thread title remind anyone else of the Beatles song?

14. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I enjoy the naps after a meal. I need to set my alarm, otherwise I would sleep for at least 1,5 hours. And everything more than 30 mins. and less than 4 hours gets me wasted and gumpy.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and chew more. You have no idea how much that helps digestion. People only chew around 10 times now instead of the 25-30 times "scientists" say you should. Saves your tract a lot of work, I'd say.

Either that, or top your meal off with an expresso and a Powerade.

16. betty02 macrumors regular

betty02

And you know how that feals because......?????......

Only messing lol, enjoy the sleep, i love my little naps!!

17. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Sherlock Holmes

Heavey meals make me sleepy too. I have always thought it was from the energy necessary for the body to digest.

I read something on topic from a Sherlock Holmes story during which he is solving a mystery and refuses food - becuase it would take too much energy to digest. He needed all of his energy for his large brain,, I can relate to that... :D