sophisticated graphics (+possibly free?) games without violence

Discussion in 'Games' started by macbook123, Apr 28, 2006.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'm a total newbie to computer games and would like to try out the graphics capabilities of my new Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz. So I'd be grateful if somebody could point me to games (preferrably ones without much violence) that have great graphics, and are not too expensive. Thanks in advance.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. That's $50 though. Is it naive to think I can get something for much less?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Kind of.. there a ratio of price to "great graphics" for non-violent games. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any "great graphics" games that are free (or freeish) and non-violent. Of course, my verison of "great graphics" may differ dramatically compared to someone else's version.

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Maybe you cant get complete games but if you go to macgamefiles.com you can get some demos.

6. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

O.k., do you know of ANY high end games that are free? Maybe I can live with violence for a while if the graphics is good enough (I know this is somewhat contradictory) :)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

America's Army is Free, it's graphics are ok.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You can get free demos of most newish games at the site mentioned above. Quake4 would be a good start for nice graphics, although quite violent.

Personally, if you're looking for something fun, I say you should take the graphics out of the equation. Just because a game looks nice doesn't mean it's any good.

EDIT: Oh, if you can snag of copy of XP you can expand your choices dramatically with Boot Camp.

9. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory is free, but online only.

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

and nonviolent.....

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd hate to get into a brawl with you.. your version of non-violent is mindboggling. :)

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

haha.

well, with boot camp, there are a huge number of options.

what do you consider "violent" though?

Would you call "Civilization" violent because your army units kill other army units on the map?

What about a game where the violence is implied but not visually represented as violence...like mario bros.?

Heck "lemmings" is a violent game from a certain perspective (that of an exploding lemming, for example).

Even the Sims can be violent if you want it to be. I had a house of death in SIms 2 for a while just for fun. I'd bring in a new family, lock them all in cages till they died, and then put the tombstones in the backyard before moving a new family in. Lots and lots of ghostly encounters during the night!

I have a pretty impressive cemetary, now...

if you give some better parameters for what you consider violent. How about Age of Empires? How about racing games? Those are typically pretty "G" rated. In fact racing games and puzzle games might be your best bet.

Some modern racing games have exceptionally good graphics. Not aware of any that are currently on the Mac, though. Consoles and PCs have the market for good-looking racing games covered right now. You could, again, use Boot Camp.

13. cubist macrumors 68020

How about X-Plane? It works great in Mac OS X, and is very realistic (educational) as well as non-violent.

Railroad Tycoon 3 is out there too, it's pretty good.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I think he's being sarcastic ;)

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thanks Sherlock, I had no idea.

16. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

another vote for x-plane. There is a fairly good demo. However it pretty much requires a joystick. Flying an airplane with a mouse is annoying.
    -Ted

17. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

There's a free demo of X-Plane that is free and non-violent. The graphics are awesome!

http://www.x-plane.com/

18. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

x-plane rules. D/L AvivoApp onto another computer, ethernet the two together... and bam, instant GPS display.

19. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Another vote for X-plane, check out the 60 gigabyte global scenery :eek: I'm ordering it next week, I had to buy a new external drive first to put it on. No worries about tiling textures here. It reminds me of the old Steven Wright joke "I've got a map of the US....life size"

20. jmscalercio macrumors newbie

Low cost non-violent game

mind rover is going for $29.95 and is available via download at vpltd.com Always wanted to check this one out but never got around to it.

Railroad Tycoon 3 is $19.99 and is a classic. If you like strategy games you will probably find this one entertaining.

21. Marathon4ever macrumors regular

Enigmo 2 hands down. Beautiful graphics and decently priced.

Myst V End of Ages, but that is probably $50

Islands Mini Golf and Jammin' Racer are cheap and have great graphics, although are cartoony.

There are a number of free non-violent mods for Unreal Tournament such as Robin Hood & the King's Ransom, Car Ball, and UnWheel. The problem is you probably won't find UT 2004 for much less than $40.

22. turbopants macrumors regular

Throw in another vote for X-plane from me. I really dig it.

I love Steven Wright! The map he talked about said "1 mile = 1 mile" on it! :D

23. mezo macrumors newbie

x-plane is fun and its looks pretty good. go with it.

24. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

It's 6am here and I just woke up having a dream that I was a passenger in a small plane like a Piper, and as it took off I could feel my stomach go queasy then I remember to look at the controls and try to compare it to X-plane (in the dread). Then we were heading towared the Harbour Bridge and the as it got steeper the plane had to go more 'uphill' and more stomach churning. I remember saying (in the dream). "I've got X-plane at home and this is exactly the same apart from feeling it". Then he was flying and doing these impossible helicopter type turns with his wings just inches from buildings. I thought to myself, "what skill, I wonder how'd what he'd think of X-plane. Wierd.

25. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What about some of the games that used to come with macs? I think some of them are still around for free/cheap: cro-mag rally, bugdom, marble blast, nanosaur (sort of violent).