Sore throat around smokers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've finally nailed it. After 7 years no less! I've been a sufferer of terrible sore throats and can be a good prediction if I'm about to get a bad cold. but! it's cigarette smoke that causes my sore throats... it must be.

I'm exposed to tobacco smoke about once or twice a year. My mates (barring 1) don't smoke, I don't go into pubs/bars etc. The UK, or at least my local council are sticking no smoking signs everywhere. So it's good. y'know?

A mate of mine has been up in Scotland for the past few months and took up smoking whilst there. He came back and started smoking in his brothers car. I'm dead against the stuff but he wouldn't stop smoking, my impressions of him as a friend really changed. Next day I woke up with a terrible sore throat! we go out in the car again and he smokes once more, even though I told him about it.

Anyone else get this? Please say so, haha. I don't want to feel alone here with my feeble, cotton wool-ed throat :(

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I lived with a heavy smoker for 20 years and worked with heavy smokers for 8 years during that time. I also had bad asthma and sore throats all the time. However I've been smoke free for 10 years now and can't even go near the smell of tobacco without my throat locking up on me. So I do agree with you.

One of the best things to happen in New York is when they banned smoking in public establishments (restaurants, bars, clubs, etc..).

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Same reaction here... you are not the only one.:eek:

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

It's still debated, but there are studies which show the negative arterial impact from continual exposure to secondary smoke can be as much as 40% of that in a smoker. So throat and respiratory side affects are not surprising.

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The funny thing... and I probably should have mentioned before is that I still avoid most of the smoke. All the windows in the car were opened and it's very windy up here.

Could I be allergic to tobacco smoke? Or is that not possible? It's just even the slightest bit of smoke sets me off.

testament to how bad this is - I went to bed at about 4am. I'm up at 6am with my throat feeling like its closing up :mad:

6. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Sounds more like a virus to me. I get those once or twice a year. Always the sore throat, but not smoke related.

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I'm glad they're getting rid of smoking in the pubs down here. 5 years ago when I came home from a night out my clothes would stink to high heaven, my hair stank, everything just reeked of smoke. And my throat would be sore, really sore - I'm not a loud yelling drunk so it was never that, I'd have a sore throat from a quiet night in a pub.

Now, that smoking in pubs is heavily restricted I come home smelling fine, my clothes are basically fresh, my hair is clean and my throat is fine.

8. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

my clothes always reek of smoke because my dad smokes so ill aways smell like it, but i only smoke when im in clothes that wont smell like smoke after I have

9. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

They did a study didn't they? Opening windows in the car does s*** all.

(so does the other windows for that matter)

10. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Same here. When I first went to university and was exposed to smoking, my throat reacted in the same way. It's not so bad now, it's the smell (eww) that gets to me most now.

11. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

I'm a smoker and sure I get a sore throat when smoking too many, sometimes even a few.
    Once in a while, when I wake up, the first thing I do is go to the bathroom and cough up a nice ball of snot and slime (yeah I know I REALLY have to stop soon).

I think most people experience the similar discomforts you are describing.