Soros buys Halliburton?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Mar 2, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

link

Money is green no matter where you get it right? At least Soros knows a good investment when he sees one.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

There may be more here than meets the eye. Maybe Soros has other ideas for it.

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

What's that saying, "We've already established what you are. Now we're just haggling over the price."? I'm glad his true colors have shown up.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Possibly. Before I'd condemn him, I'd want to know (a) whether the investment was approved by him personally, and (b) whether this is "just" an investment, or is in fact an attempt to buy influence over the company...neither of which questions the article addresses.

5. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Well, you know, Soros doesn't make moves like this for the sole reason of profit - there is bound to be a political motivation behind this.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

What? That he's a Republican? That he likes money? He is rich after all. I don't see the irony here. Murdoch gave money to Dems, didn't think that was a big deal either.

As Thomas Veil alluded to, this was either an investment done without his consent by underlings or partners, or more likely he has some political reasons. I'm guessing he's not that substantial a stockholder, but I'm sure he's still a voting share holder. Maybe he's just trying to be that annoying guy at the stock holders meetings that complains the whole time.

Maybe he just likes money (he also invested in Rite Aid and CVS).

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe he just wants to screw Dick Cheney, who probably was making secret deals with Halliburton anyway. Energy policy meetings anyone? ;)

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm sure it's just that he's a hypocrite like Al Gore. Who needs facts? Smears make much better headlines. And slogans. ;)

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Halliburton's Iraqi doings are merely a part of their activities. Oilfield service companies are going to do well in the next several years. They oughta do better than the majors for ROI.

Soros' past financial reputation has been built on currency speculation and manipulation. His estimated gross income is around a billion bucks a year.

To have any feel for Soros' possible influence on Halliburton, you'd have to know how many shares of stock there are, total. His history, though, is for making money. I doubt his generally-leftist politics will affect that, although for $62 very-large for him is chump change.

'Rat