Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Jul 17, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well, I have very mixed feelings about today’s events, having just got home from work to browse the forums and apple.com I’m shocked!
    $50 just to use my f**king e-mail????? No way!
    NO upgrade to OS X.2 for existing owners of Mac’s??? I paid £2,750 just a few months ago for my Dual 1Ghz PM, and now they want another £99!?!?!?
    I love the new 17” iMac, and the updates to the iPod, but that’s not really much.
    And where is an iPod firmware update for all of us existing owners?
    This just isn't good enough in my eyes, if you don't agree then that's fair enough, but this is just my opinion, so let's not start a thread of nothing but flaming between those who are and arn't satisfied with today's events. ;)

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

I think there will be a special update price for those who already purchased Mac OS X or have it already installed on their computers. Don't quote me on that though.....

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

There is already an offer to buy Jaguar for $20, but that's with a PowerMac purchase after (or on) July 17, which, unless my iPod has the wrong date :D, is today. :D

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

<hits the "quote" button :D >

I would think if that were the case Steve would have definitely mentioned that! The crowd didn't seem too thrilled with the .Mac charge, so I'm sure he could have used all the help he could get...

And verbose101, I agree completely with you, although maybe not to the emotional extent. :p

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

Don't you get email from your ISP over there in brit-land??? :eek: I only have six from mine. :p :D I would have eight if I was on dial-up.

I am waiting to see what happens when 10.2 actually hits the shelves. Since it is expected on a weekend, I will be hauling my ass to an Apple store, with the software coupons that came with my rev. c TiBook to see about getting 10.2 at a reduced cost. Even if it costs me the full amount, I will most likely pick it up. That is, unless we have ordered some new systems about that time, or will be ordering some soon.

Wait and see for the iPod software... I would hope that Apple makes it available for people that already have iPods, so that you get the new features with the older models.

Calm down, grab a pint and chill out, will ya...

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

Yes, of course we do :D
    But...everyone has my @mac.com address, chaging will be a real pain in the a$$! :mad: and besides, the @mac.com is just so much cooler than my other main option (from my ISP) @blueyonder.co.uk

7. iGav macrumors G3

I thought that the Update CD for OSX.2 could be purchased by anyone??? Logic been that those that already own OSX just need an updater........ where as those that own older (pre OSX) machines will have to purchase the full version because they won't own an earlier version of OSX to update...... hence the cheap updater CD will be of no use to them.......

As for people bitching....... well it's part and parcel of "rumour' sites I suppose...... always the possibility that people are going to read too much into unsubstaniated rumors...... and reach for the stars...... then when things aren't quite what they were hoping for... the sh*t hit's the fan.........

Really all that was needed was one thread called the bitching thread......... and then everyone who felt let down etc etc.... could just have gone and posted there......... :rolleyes:

Apple's never going to be able to please everyone though....... although today I thought they did a good job......

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

now that's a bit of a problem - not a nice one either. this sounds more microsoft-esque or aol like than anything else.

We're going to change it and you'e going to pay - don't like it, tough!

Not exactly user friendly there. I'm just glad I wasn't using my @mac.com email address. And even for $10 a year for an email account is a negligible amount, why even bother? Its just going to turn people away.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

It would probably be a massive thread and hog all the forum bandwidth. :D :D

10. iGav macrumors G3

Heh heh heh.... :p :p :p

I think you could be spot on there....... :p

11. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

I couldn't agree more. Who has to pay for email anymore? ALL of my friends (every single one) has an account on Yahoo or Hotmail or any of the other hundreds of free email sites out there. I even had a Hotmail account before I made the "switch" to Mac.com a year ago, and only out of principal. Hotmail was perfectly fine.

Now I'm going to confuse all my friends, family, and coworkers (once again) by returning to Hotmail. So I can actually say, I'm making the "Switch." To Microsoft. :(

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

No one held any guns to peoples heads and told them to sign up for the @mac.com email accounts.

Look at it this way, for at least the first year, you get the larger iDisk and all the other stuff at what it costs you for a single month on high speed, or two months on dial-up.

If you don't want it, then just drop it, but stop the crying and temper tantrums (for those that are really crying over a few dollars a YEAR :rolleyes: ).

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sorry eye, but I just gotta bitch a bit...

Its not about actually paying - I'm sure plenty of people will - its the fact that there really are only 2 options, either you do or you don't. I think they should have kept the free email accounts and provided the iTools and .mac stuff for people wanting a website - which in all rights you should pay for.

I think there will be some growing pains here, I just hope it isn't too painful.

D

14. Harthansen macrumors member

No Price drop

There is no price drop unless you bought it after July 17th. I am so pissed off. You shouldn't have to pay for upgrade to OS-X until they make it a fully functional OS. At least until OS-10.5, and I think not until OS-11, Not to mention it is full price!!!!! They are getting way to greedy at apple and it will bite them in the but. Because how many people are really gonna pay for that!

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

all existing OS X users, chill!

if you already have OS X, or bought a new mac in the last few months, you should have the 'software update coupon'. i got my TiBook in April and i've got them. as long as you've got them you can get 10.2 for $49, at least thats what i think he said...