Sorry Eye... New PDA thread

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by ponyboy, Jun 14, 2002.

1. ponyboy macrumors regular

This is currently on macosrumors:

Tuesday, June 11 10:48 PM ET
    Here's an interesting tidbit that we're forced to leave somewhat up to your imaginations due to restrictions from the source, a Cupertino resident who has been with us since the beginning (the same guy who lead us to break the story of the original iMac, as well as the resignation of former CEO Gil Amelio)....
    When you ponder the purpose of Apple's forthcoming InkWell handwriting-recognition technology, think about the way the trackpad works on PowerBooks and iBooks. Imagine if you could add an inexpensive stylus pen, and enter text much the same way it is done on the trackpad-like area of a Palm handheld or similar device.

I dont claim anything these days but this is interesting, is it possible to even use the current powerbook trackpad, with ink well and a stylus, with only software modifications?

2. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

sounds just like whats been said in a lot of other threads here... :rolleyes:

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Sorry Eye... New PDA thread

No, it isn't possible. The current trackpad don't register the movement, if you try using a pen, or something of a similar size. It's just not sensitive enough for that. That's not to say apple won't release a modified trackpad in the future.....

4. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

looks like this thread has been moved to the main page can we close it here...

5. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Stop

Ponyboy, stop with the PDA's, who cares. it was fun at first, but you guys have dragged it out to the point where even the mention of an Apple PDA brings about anger. Now stop obsessing about it and get back to your life.

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

As for a tablet I think we might see an iPod, which is half the thickness and a screen covering the whole top, which is colour. No PDA functions, but it would have a firewire rechargeable battery (it runs normally on BlueTooth.) that would be cool, but i doubt it.

Ensign

7. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Stop

I am running a powerbook and before this I ran a 300 Mhz G3 tower and to tell you the truth I miss my tower my next comp will be a tower no doubt. All of the reasons I thought I wanted a portable never really came to fruition so when I get a new tower I will be happy other than the fact that I still would love to have some sort of portable device that is not a laptop, to acsess the internet keep notes and scribble so to answer your question I care... And why does a PDA rumor make you angry???? How angry will you be if they actually release one? Not very I think, you will probably buy one and tell yourself it is ok cause its not really a PDA it is way better besides steve would never relase a PDA. I want one and you dont what do you care if I do. And it is not an obsession but more of an observation... My obsessions come in better shapes and colors than Apple could ever recreate, and my time is spent more on the beach than in these forums getting angry over the fact that someone wants a PDA

Your are on a rumor site and this is a valid rumor no matter how mad it makes you

8. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Hey ponyboy, I think that if you talked to half of the people on this site, eye most of all, you would get the same reaction I am giving you. the mention of a PDA has been going on for months now, and if you want to "observe" this or whatever, do it by yourself. Sure a PDA would be tight, but we all know that, and the constant mentioning is getting old.

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

So are you going to get stuck into Arn now that he's put it up on the front page?

I'm sure eye whould have/will be much nicer about the whole situation than yourself.

PDA rumors have been around for years, not months. Are you going to bash every PDA thread you see for the rest of your life? What happens when Apple does bring out a PDA? This is a rumor site. This is a rumor. If you don't like the subject, you don't have to read it!

10. Skandranon macrumors regular

To all

Aye. I have to concur, Beej. If people are deliberately naming threads about discussions you don't wish to participate in, or really care for, then DON'T READ THEM. No one is forcing discussion upon you when they create their own threads to talk about a something of total irrelevance to your personal interests.

I'm sick of people jumping the "It's cool to squat on Apple PDA discussions" bandwagon. I personally don't have any interest in a tablet or PDA or even half the threads that get started up on MacRumors. So what do I do? I save my time and DON'T READ THEM.

Going out of your way to lambast someone over something you don't think is worth of 'rumor' status tells us more about how much of an @$$hole you are than about the discussion under criticism.

I don't have any particular affection for PDAs nor do I feel that Apple is going to be producing one anytime soon. But that doesn't compell me to be a prick to other people who might think otherwise.

Grow up.

11. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    old rumors

I'm tired of hearing all these rumors about really fast computers. Every time we hear a rumor about a really fast computer, it never happens. We always just get kind of fast computers. It makes me mad to visit this RUMOR site and look at all these silly RUMORS!!!! So, who wants to talk about the prices on the currently available products at apple.com?? :)

12. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Beej / Skandranon / Tim Daddy

I passed out shortly after my last post but it looks like no response from me was required... Thanks guys I couldnt have said it better myself

13. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Re: Beej / Skandranon / Tim Daddy

LOL... now that's what I call caring too much about rumors :)

14. sprescott1974 macrumors member

Every PDA speculation thread gets locked and it is really frustrating. This is a subject I care about. Let the discussions continue.

And also, even though it is fake, that iWalk was pretty sweet and would be a great product were Apple to ever finally get around to building it.

15. joed macrumors regular

This remind me of when the OQO was announced a month or so ago (www.oqo.com).

I don't think Apple will produce a PDA but maybe a device that can play movies, view pictures, portable hard drive, etc. If Apple bought out a device like the OQO then I would definatley consider getting it!

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll say this again...

U guys are absolutely free to discuss whatever u like here. However, for some reason, many of u feel compelled to keep bringing this topic up when there's never any evidence to support it. I know I overreact about it, but take note I'm not the only person who feels this is a completely dead and useless topic of discussion.

It's been brought up way too many times to hold any brevity, and when u start talking about the iWalk and posting links to the movies, it becomes a useless thread.

17. iWalkMovies macrumors newbie

I've said it once, I'll post it again!

This is becuase I love the iWalk/PDA thread...

BTW, there are three movies on the page. The first one seems to get the most traffic, but there are THREE of them (links at top of page), so enjoy these old things.

Peace out, Yo!

http://homepage.mac.com/iwalkmovies

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: I've said it once, I'll post it again!

I rest my case... :rolleyes:

19. Ouroboros macrumors member

I ACTUALLY met Steve Jobs at MacWorld SF 2001. Yes I did, and so did a lot of other people that had balls to go up and shake his hand. Anyway, I had a little more balls and asked him specifically if Apple would ever come out with another one (PDA). Of course I'm sure he wouldn't say, "yeah, hold off till Summer!" or something of that nature. But he immediately got sort of annoyed and said something to the effect of, "We've already been down that road..."

Anyway, IF they were working on eventually releasing a successor to the Newton, he'd I think have been a little less final with his answer with me.

I don't know, take it for what you guys want. But sure I'd love for my interpretation of what he told me to be wrong! :p

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thank u for that story...it only furthers my belief that this is not worth discussing...

but I'll be laughed at if I'm ever proven wrong...

I can live with it if I am... ;)

21. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Eye, my friend, you will be the laughing stock of the whole Macintosh community if Apple ever releases a PDA! :D

22. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

iWalk is a thread spammer. Tho eye said that everyone is entitled to free speech (moderator honor code), I still dont have to like it. I am asking iWalk to actually post something new and UNRELATED TO THE IWALK OR THE FABLED APPLE PDA!

23. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Haha, maybe, but hes still got awhile cuz Apple hasnt said anything yet.

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah really...between that & my supermodel pic here....I'm pretty screwed huh? ;)

25. ponyboy thread starter macrumors regular

OK I started this thread and feel somewhat responsible but I want to go ahead a dis avow the thread now that an iwalk pic has been posted on it. This thing was such a sham and I feel bad my name ggot associated with the iwalk resurfacing. I would love to see adevice the could check my email download pics and play my music but that is not the iwalk!!!!