SORRY, No G5 AT NY

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by pacoarango, May 18, 2002.

1. pacoarango macrumors newbie

Its impossible to release G5 by summer, face it, Apple could never sell existing stock of current G4. The speed difference would be too large and Apple would have to kill pricing and loose big on existing G4s. Expect max dual 1.4 with DDR, 10.2 OS and enjoy. (That is nearly a 80% boost):(

2. mr.w macrumors regular

I'd agree... G5's will most likely join the apple line-up in january. hopefully we'll see a huge suprise in their architecture though, seeing as how there's been so much talk about them for such a long time (possibly motorola is adding even more kick a@@ components). i wouldn't be suprised if the g5 blew the new AMD chip out of the water.

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah, it is sad. But since there probably will not be any G5s there, we are probably in for one big time speed bump on the G4s, as so many people here have rumored.

To recap:
    1.0GHz
    1.2GHz (S/Dual?)
    Dual 1.4GHz

The G5s may show at San Fransisco, but probably not at New York. I guess the iMac still needs more highlightin'.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

But what is the issue?

I have my Pismo G3 500 and my PowerMac G4 400 and I'm doing rendering faster in the Pismo.

Is gonna be the same thing with G5 I think. We do not know, the aspects of the G3 and G4 were not too much different. Unless the G5 becomes 64 bit. The thing is that we go used to have the G4 name for too long and we want a change. My be G5 by december.

5. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

pacoarango -

Thanks for the facts! I didn't know Apple had so many PowerMac G4s so as to prevent releasing G5s.

BTW - Apple is so stupid - they build a million computers the first week of the year and then wait until they are all sold before releasing a new model.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I agree that they won't be at MWNY. I would like to see 1.4ghz or 1.5ghz DP at MWNY with DDRAM, that would be nice.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

it was posted right here in Macrumors about a week and a half ago that there wouldn't be any G5s at NY. and the specs for the new PowerMacs have also been leaked:
    all G4s - 1GHz, 1.2GHz and dual 1.4GHz.
    theres no mystery here, i'm sure i'm not the only one who has know this for the past week.

8. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Just curious how you guys think Apple all of a sudden does increments of 200mhz? That's like a full line update, not a single update. It will probably be 1ghz, 1.1(13)ghz and maybe a dual 1.2(67)ghz. Unless they have a new board that allows the 200mhz jumps, I don't see it.

9. mr.w macrumors regular

A 400mhz boost makes sense. The G4 has a limit of 1.5 ghz (projected), we've got 8 months 'till the G5 (hopefully) comes out in Jan. If apple doesn't max out (or almost) the limit of their technology then it will be seen as a letdown to the apple comunity. We're already loosing the mhz war to AMD and Intel, and because of this a lot of pros may buy Wintel boxes in the comming future. If apple doesn't step up to the plate soon, the'll be screwed, and we'll all be dissapointed. Apple knows this, and i don't think they want that to happen. I'm personally waiting for the G5 to come out before i shell out another $3800 on a computer.

but my projections (as are many) are:
    1 ghz single
    1.2 ghz single
    1.4 ghz dual

anything less will be seen as a dissapointment

10. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

it wasn't that long ago that apple had something like only 3 days of stock on their machines on hand at any given point. I don't think they are building a bunch of computers and waiting for them to be sold. Its much more likely, given their past practices and recognized good business practices, that they are still operating in such a way that limits their available stock to no more than a week at a time. Thats not to say it doesn't get backed up sometimes, but they aren't building a huge amount and then waiting.

11. kaneda macrumors regular

G4 & G5

Why G5 will kill G4 product lines??? When they release a G5, it will be for the pros, and not for consumer. They definitely still can use the G4 for ibook (currently G3), tibook (for another year), and imac (G3 for emac, G4 lamp mac). G5 will only before the Powermac, which most graphic designers, film studio use it...

But I know a lot of designers will be very disappointed when MWNY comes. I don't think Apple will release a G5. I don't want to get my hope up too much. I am one of the designer is waiting for a G5. :D

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

g3 for the eMac? it already has a G4 and i doubt that Apple is going to go backwards.

why would you be dissapointed at NY? dual 1.4GHz G4s are definitely something to get excited about.

13. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

Multiple CPUs

*** I have been trolling these threads trying to get this answered. Please forgive me if you've seen this question more than once: ***

___

I have a rather straightforward question. As long as everyone seems to be under the impression that G5's are not forthcoming in July, and that additional motherboard updates and modest CPU speed bumps are all we can expect, is it possble that we could see multiple processor usage increase? 4, 6, or 8 G4 chips in a new tower designed to aggressively suck the extra heat out?

I am obviously not a hardware engineer, so I don't know what extra throughput pressures additional processors put on a motherboard or drives, but if OS X is so fabulous at spreading out processing work across multiple CPU's, then why not a quad 1ghz tower? I'd love to run at least 48 simultaneous tracks of 96khz/24bit audio using MOTU's Digital Performer with scads and scads of plug-ins runniing as well. I don't care if the chip is G3, G4, G5, or G to the 47th power--I just want real-world functionality.

So, oh wisened Mac tech gurus, tell me why Apple wouldn't just jam towers full of CPUs as a stop-gap between now and when the next chip actually ships? Or after, for that matter!

Anxiously awaiting your answers...
    Bart

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Apple is so far behind in the MHz war they can't afford to jump any less than 200MHz per item. You're probably right, though. :rolleyes: These 1.2 and 1.4 specs are just the rumor specs that are always floating around.

15. dantec macrumors 6502a

At least, if I get DDR- I won't whine.

Now if the G5 doesn't come out my MWNY, I seriously think Apple should consider AMD in the near future. How bout making AMD join the PowerPC's alliance in Moto's place??? Then would have all the funding they need from the PC (Athion) side, and maybe one day could force the PowerPC down big PC companies throats!!!

Although it would have heat issues, why doesn't Apple just go crazy and give me a 8 or 16 processor machine!!! I seriously need to write to them!!!

Perhaps we will see the return of the cube. I was just thinking today, PC companies will NEVER make a cube. Why? Because Intel's & AMD's chips cause so much heat, it would look more like a cube with 50cm3 of fans around it.. :S

16. Kid Red macrumors 65816

They may be behind in the mhz numbers, but as for performance, I can't imagine how much faster things could be on my dual gig. X is butter on this machine, and in 9, it's surreal how fast it is. I seriously can't imagine how non-animation and non-video users would even be able to use a say 1.4ghz G4/5. They'd never put it to it's pull use. That's why I laugh when Mary Sue goes and buys a 2.0ghz Pllll to surf the net, lol

That's like an old lady driving a lamborghini knowing she'll never do even the speed limit.

A lot of people don't need anything faster then my dual gig, so when I read posts complaining Apple must be at 2.0ghz G5 by tomorrow or it's dooms day, I have to laugh :)

17. pc2mac_convert macrumors newbie

depends on how you look at things

Here's the way I look at it - Apple knows exactly what its doing, whether or not 1.2 and 1.4 are on the way in July... If this weren't the case, they wouldn't have $4Billion in tangible assetts http://biz.yahoo.com/fin/l/a/aapl_qb.html, and a nice profit margin to boot.

You've heard this a thousand times, but I'm gonna' repeat it: people use Mac for a specific purpose - and for most of these people, whether the performance of the next pmac increases in a major or minor way in July, they will continue to do their work on a Mac... period. If you're an Apple user purely because of the GHz number itself - I have to ask - when exactly did you notice that Apple was "behind"???

However, for those who are truly 'concerned' for Apple's sake - remember this... non-mac users who equate GHz with performance are usually also capable of simple math skills... Don't think for a second that Apple doesn't realize the simple logic to this - they've got a great marketing team [I'm serious about this]... For example, what do you get when you add 1.0 and 1.0? 2.0. Now, where've I seen that number before??? Oh, and what about 1.2 + 1.2... 2.4. Gee, that number looks familiar too... Oh, and 1.4 + 1.4? Hah! 2.8 - another familiar GHz marketing number...

I mean, really - Anyone who's done there research switches to Apple not because of the GHz number, but for other, more well-thought-out and beneficial reasons. For those who aren't to that point, Apple has decided to help them along (with duals), assuming the person is capable of adding together the speed ratings of two processors. What we're really looking at is marketing genius...

Later,
    happy convert

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

A couple of quick notes.

First, to convert: That name would be quite reasonable for your first several posts.

Second, also to convert: If Apple was talking 1.4MHz we would be going back to the aged Apple I and we would be, I'd say, a little behind. :) Apple is talking GHz now.

Third, to dantec: I think Apple hardly goes beyond 2 processors, since the prices would be just way too high with the current top model chips.

And, if you have noticed my 3-way processor theory, I strongly doubt the G5 as well, since the iBook followed up with a G3. Just my thoughts.

Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

19. pc2mac_convert macrumors newbie

DOH!! That's what I get for workin' too many hours - or something! Maybe I was thinking back to the grand 'ol days of my IIgs???

Hey - throw me a bone, people! ;)

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Easy, guy. Relax. I was joking around.

We all make mistakes. It happens to the best of us...and of course you to, pc2mac_convert. :)

I'm sure you will enjoy the posts. Have fun.

Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire the current signature.

21. pc2mac_convert macrumors newbie

haha

I don't use windows anymore, so relaxing just seems so much easier. Perhaps its because my Pismo has NEVER crashed in the two years I've owned it???

Taken your advice I have... Fun, these posts shall be... :D

22. dantec macrumors 6502a

Long live the Macintosh.

It's nice to have people like you guys to chat with... Never have seen a windows forum site where they talk about rumors... hehe

23. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Probably because the best rumours a windows forum could have would be "is that virus threat real of just another hoax?" :D

If apple were to release dual 1.4GHz with DDR-Ram, i certaintly wouldn't be dissappointed. That would be a screaming system! If the could release a quad G4, then i would be in heaven, the plastic would come out, and my fiancee would throttle me :) I can't see it happening yet though. The G4 still has potential to increase the MHz a little before that becomes neccessary.

24. pc2mac_convert macrumors newbie

Actually - in this case the rumor is worse! http://slashdot.org/articles/02/05/20/2124248.shtml?tid=109

Supposedly, M$ is claiming that it would be detrimental to society - even jeopardizing lives - if they were required to release their code because, yes, it really is that bad.

Just one more example to go Apple. Can't wait for 1.4 duals... Oh yeah - and a bonus - code that doesn't threaten millions of lives! :D

25. jamesbhai macrumors member

Windoze rumor sites

Apple's web site could suffice for a windoze rumor sites. In a year or two, apple technologies usually end up in windoze machines. Microsoft R&D.