Sorry to ask - but 11 or 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aneres11, Oct 7, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Title says it all.
    I know there are probably loads of these but I have a 11' on order (delivery in 4 weeks where I have ordered it from) - and something is just not sitting right with me.

Tomorrow I am taking a trip to my local store to look at both of the airs and try and make a decision, but before that I thought i'd see what you guys chose and if there was a particular reason why.

The Air will replace my 2009 MBP - 13'.
    I use my MBP for general internet use, updating my iPod, downloading music, emails, etc. Nothing too heavy at all.

Anyway, I ordered my 11' a few days ago after debating for about 2 weeks. Now since I have ordered I just dont feel right about it. Not sure why. When I look at pictures of it I am not excited like I should be. The screen looks really small - and I am not a fan of how much is actually screen and how much is 'around the screen' - if you get me.

I don't have bad eyes, so eye strain and all the other things people have mentioned with the 11' is not really a factor - or certainly shouldn't be.

My plan here is to buy the macbook then get myself a thunderbolt 27' screen so I also have a desktop setup. I have a few HD movies downloaded to external storage and would like to add more from iTunes as I think they'd look fantastic on the 27' display. Also, I like that I can have a wired connection, more USB ports and a display that will hopefully be worth keeping for a good amount of years. So there's that.

My main issue I think, lies with the screen on the 11". The 13" never struck me when I first looked into the Air as it seemed too similar to my MBP. It is afterall the same kind of design - just not thin. The 11" almost feels like the true Macbook Air with the 13 being there for those who think the 11 is just too small.
    What I think i'm trying to ask here is does the 13" lose the 'Air' charm because its not super small like the 11"?

Hopefully my questions will be answered tomorrow - I will post with my thoughts but until then, thought i'd gauge what you guys thought.
    Any help or info would be great.

Cheers :eek:

2. macrumors newbie

personally if i were replacing my MBP with the air, i would get the 13'; i know for a fact i would get sick of the 11' size after a while.

Now if your in my situation and your just looking to complement your MBP with an air, i would get the 11'

3. macrumors 6502

We have both models in the household. I have the 11" and the Wife the 13". Personally I prefer the 11" it is lighter, easier to use on my lap, on the couch, its even not bad on the desktop.

The screen size is fine, especially if your eye sight is ok, it does have a high DPI so you get a fair amount of real-estate on it compared to say the MBP 13".

I am really happy with both of the Airs but do prefer the 11".

4. macrumors 6502a

nebulos

5. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It really depends. I mean the 11" is really portable and if you plan on getting the TD you will have a huge screen! So in effect you are getting a desktop with a huge screen and the portability of a netbook. I personally got the 13" but that is because it is my main computer and I could not afford the display.

6. macrumors 68030

vitzr

Mine also has 12GB of ram.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting.

So, if you had the screen - or say did want to buy it - you would go with the 11" because of the portability?

And for the guy who said 12...? Yes, thank you.

8. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Well maybe, I really like it because it is SO small. The problem is the lack of sd card reader for me. the 13" has a sd slot and I like the option to put a card in. If that is not a concern because you don't mind taking a usb to sd adapter with you or don't use cameras that often yes. Full screen mode makes the screen feel much bigger

9. macrumors 6502

Or if your camera uses CF cards rather than SD :)

10. macrumors 6502a

nebulos

the 11" is seductive, in a way that the 13" is not.

the 11" seems tiny, which makes it sort of magical. the 13" doesn't seem different enough to be special. the 11" is also still pretty new.

but really, the 11" and 13" are not that much different, in weight or in size, especially in width; it's more like the 11" is chopped off at the top.

but on the other, other hand, the difference can seem big when comparing the screens. (if you're going to use an ACD though, that may be moot.)

battery life, CPU, and screen real estate are better on the 13".

but the 11" is a tiny miracle. and the screen size is perfectly fine.

there's no right or wrong. both are great. it's just a trade off.

4 weeks sounds agonizing!

11. macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Funny, your story sounds very much like mine. I also sold my MBP to buy an Air (a few months ago but decided to wait for the new Air), I also disregarded the 13" because I thought it was too similar, and I also felt uneasy after ordering the 11". Turns out that was not without reason.

I ended up seriously trying it out for a week and returning it. It was just too small for me, really requiring the use of an external screen for anything serious. And plugging it in gets old soon. While I was waiting for the new Air to come out a few months ago, I ended up buying an old White 13" (2.5kg!) MacBook and I preferred working on that over the 11" Air for the bigger screen. And I found the DPI too high for the 11". I was always bending over too much to see it right. Mind you I mainly got it for programming. Not really general use.

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm sure I'll like the form factor of the 13" but the DPI is also very high (though not quite as much as the 11"). And it's just so expensive, for a portable that runs a high risk of being dropped or stolen. My 13" white book is so much more care free. But I think I'll end up going for it anyway because even the 11" was lightning fast!

12. macrumors regular

I'd go for the 11. Same size as a netbook, actually.

13. macrumors 6502a

Get an MBP 17" and hook it up to an external 11" monitor.

14. macrumors member

It's the opposite here. I have the 13" and my gf has the 11". However, I too prefer the 11", it's just so much portable. Don't get me wrong, I love my 13" but I find myself asking my gf everyday if she'll switch with me :p

15. macrumors G4

i bought the first MacBook Air in early 2008, and while I liked the 13", the 11" design is just that much better for me, despite the lower resolution and smaller screen.

That said, it's a personal preference. There's no need to feel bad about preferring one over the other. That's why Apple makes both.

16. macrumors 68040

iSee

You're already doing the right thing: going to try out both in person. Envision yourself using each in a variety of likely situations and I think you'll know which one is right for you.

Personally, I'd get the 11" in that setup. They're both pretty much the same when connected to the 27" display. And the 11" has uber portability and does have a little bit more charm. The reason I'd go for the 13" is if I expected to use it a lot without the monitor for some reason. Then, the 13" screen might trump the portability of the 11" (it's not like the 13" Air is a slouch at portability).

17. macrumors member

Agnoslibertine

I have been trying my gf's new 11 inch, and it is pretty good. The screen does take some getting used to. But you can always pinch to zoom etc.
    Still i think the 13 is better suited for my needs anyway. (I need the SD-slot and the bigger screen resolution AND size)

18. macrumors G5

Macman45

I Looked At Both

Before deciding on the 13" my eyes aren't that great any more so the 11 was just to small.

It's a great device, but I also have a 27" iMac so the reduction in size is dramatic, but I love the look and feel of the MBA, and use it in situations where I used to use my iPad.

19. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, it does seem that people are a little bit more drawn to the 11" purely for the portability.

My Air will never leave the house - in the 2 and a half years I have had my MBP - it's never gone outside! :p

However, the fact it will be hooked up to the thunderbolt display does seem like the 11" would be the way forward. If I need more screen then I can just plug it in and away I go. And 27" should just about cover it, right? :D Ha.

I am definitely more drawn to the 11" even before I have tried to compare them.
    Still gonna go and have a look shortly to put my mind at rest though!
    Watched some interesting videos on youtube last night - and the Air's are just so super quick!

Its quite frightening really!

Thank you for all your comments, i'll be sure to let you know what I decide.

And yes - 4 weeks is a very long wait! Ha.

20. macrumors regular

The difference in lightness and portability between the 11" and 13" is minimal. You would have to be a really weak dude if you consider the 13" non-portable. Go for the 13".

21. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Enjoy! the 11" will be so nice and portable and when you want a bigger screen, BAM
    Don't forget a keyboard and mouse :)

22. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm already all over that one ha.

Going for the standard wireless keyboard and the track pad as it looks like it's amazing to use!

Also gonna go the whole hog and get me an iPhone docking station (for my new 4s :cool:) and a MBA dock too!

Not all at once mind - i'm not made of money unfortunately. Ha.

23. macrumors 68040

So I am not the only one who finds the small size of the 11' MBA hypnotically irresistible for some reason. :eek: I am still agonizing between the entry level 11' and 13' models. 2gb or 4gb ram? :confused:

24. macrumors 6502a

Go with the 13". Better battery life and better resolution. I love my Mid 2010 Macbook but, if I need to upgrade, I'm getting the 13" MBA.

25. macrumors 68040

cluthz

The biggest issue with the 11 inch is the screen height, only 768 lines compared to 900 on the 13 inch.
    Why apple chose 16:9 instead of 16:10 like the 13 inch is a mystery to me.
    The better battery life in the 13 inch is also welcome and the SD card slot is nice to have too.

I tried both on the apple store and I found the 13 inch much better, mostly because of the screen height.