Sorry to post here.. but what the hell happened to Spymac.com???

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by TwitchOSX, Apr 3, 2007.

1. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

I log in yesterday to post the same iPod related question I posted here yesterday (to try and get some more feedback) and the site is all goofy! There are these "Girls" ads or whatever all over the homepage.. it looks nothing like I remember from before (probably havent visited in about a year).. I cant find anything.. WTF??

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Are you the same TwitchOSX that is one Fark?

jon

3. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Yepz =)

But its Twitch OSX now (with the space)..

Old TwitchOSX (if its still up) was screwed over by my ex.. she gave a friend my password and he edited my old account and screwed everything up.

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

They tried to go all web 2.0 by allowing users to upload videos, pictures, etc. "Leapfrog" it was called. more about it here
    You can still reach "classic" spymac, but it's kinda dead. A LOT of users have left.
    see WTH HAPPENED TO SPYMAC?? thread.

5. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Dunno wtf they are thinking.. but then, I never went there much anymore because it was so damned slow.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Well, now you can post here more. We're only slow around big announcements or in the event Arn falls asleep on the server.

7. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

Or spills beer on the server like over at Fark.com =)

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I have been thinking about getting into fark. I only lurk around there.. I'm just afraid I'll get my butt handed to me; I'm only a wee lass! :eek: :p
    It's also kinda hard for me to just interject myself into a group. *shrug*

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

You gotta get over the days where you defend your Mac is you want to be sane and browse the Tech section at Fark. I just read it for grins and giggles but I always see Twitch on the site defending Apple to their death.

Fark message boards are a brutal territory unless you know what your talking about.

jon

11. TwitchOSX thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL... even if you dont know what your talking about they are brutal. Thats why its so fun. Gotta be able to take the "snark".. and insults and whatever else is thrown at ya.

Of course, for the wee lass' there are plenty of CAT THREADS (well.. on the TotalFark side).. but generally, as long as you dont initiate crap with others you pretty much get left alone.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Things happen in a year. However, you can find the familiar Spymac forum here.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I used to post at spymac, but left a long time ago (as the downward spiral began). When I went back a few weeks ago and saw what had happened (for the first time in months), I promptly deleted the bookmark and ran back to macrumors... ;)

14. andrewag macrumors 6502

It's a real shame. I really liked their picture gallery.

15. carterx macrumors member

carterx

I know this topic is a year old.... but take a look at the site now

www.spymac.com

It definitely went to hell !!!

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Found this on one of their recent forums why SpyMac was no longer interesting.

Link
    Reminds me of PSRI. lol.

But I think this is the real problem. (from same forum)

17. flinch13 macrumors regular

It was quite a site beforehand... macrumors, on the other hand, has remained the same for years and it WORKS.. people still visit and contribute daily. Reminds me of craigslist. Simplicity works!!

18. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Wow, Spymac... It seems like a fond and distant memory. I believe it was Microsoft Syndrome that killed them. Bloated and tried to be everything. I can remember visiting that site everyday 5 years ago. It was exciting then: new email, gallery, community, personal webpages. I even sold an Apple sticker on their online auction! (I got paid, and the guy got his sticker, even got positive feedback). I think when they stopped posting Mac news and rumors is when I started to visit the site less and less. The newer features had me excited though, with online storage and applications to manage your Spymac world. I even paid for the Club membership. But after the Club membership expired I found out my email was also disabled; only paying members got email. Thats when I left. I think I've visited the site twice in the last 3 years.

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Spymac is still with us, but is a very different site than it used to be. However, my username and password still work.

20. magid macrumors 6502

magid

21. poisenedapple macrumors member

it made me upset too...

spymac "classic" was truly phenomenal and did not need "social networking web 2.0 etc" and I, myself, being a "classic" user,:confused: was happy with the amount of "social networking" the classic spymac had...

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

whoa... I thought Spymac had gone dead long ago....

Like MacWhispers, ThinkSecret (sadly),

MacOSRumors still seem to be there, though....totally different... but alive.

23. JJC80 macrumors member

I use to visit the site daily back in 2001-03ish, and I returned today, and um.. yes wtf happened. :(

Sad, it used to be pretty nice back in the day.