Sort by Kind with Folders on Top in 10.7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Fronc, Jul 16, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

2. macrumors 6502

brijazz

It's not free (about $15), but I can't say enough good things about TotalFinder. It allows you to keep folders on top when sorting, adds cut-and-paste, and also tabs to the Finder. Also, it's Lion-compatible.

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

I've been using this for about 6 months and couldn't imagine going back.

3. macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I didnt even know TotalFinder did this as I have purchased it. Just switching from PC to MAC I was wishing Finder could do this and now Im super stoked!!!!! Thanks lol.

4. GGJstudios, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011

macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Snow Leopard - Finder - Sort folders first, then files
    Contents of the /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings file:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I used to do that, but in Lion, the InfoPlist.strings file has different contents. This method no longer works, and I'm looking for a way to do it in Lion now, with the default system Finder.

Thanks for trying, though.

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did misunderstand. I thought you had edited the file and lost the contents and needed to reconstruct the file. I wasn't aware that the file isn't the same in Lion. Good luck with finding a solution!

7. SlappyWhite, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

macrumors newbie

Open the file in PlistEdit Pro, or some other plist editor, and then proceed like your link suggests: look for Folder and add a space in front of it. Worked for me.

EDIT: Or alternatively, use the plutil to first convert the file to a more redable format, write your edits, and then convert it back. http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050430105126392

8. felixjet, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011

macrumors newbie

I've manage to convert it with plutil, edit it, and convert back, but it doesn't work. What I'm doing wrong? My system is in spanish, so i've change both InfoPlist.strings inside English.proj and Spanish.proj. No luck with any.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Added a space to the "Folder" string by using Text Wrangler (Free). Appreciate everyone's help.

10. macrumors newbie

Fronc, where did you add this space, in SL or Lion?
    In Lion, I already have that space added, but it doesn't work... Can you please elaborate your statement?