sort of urgent question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Indo, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Indo macrumors member

alright, i've made a deal with my grandparents to give our G5 to them, and when the dual core or whatever (hopefully something) comes out at WWDC (or whenever), they will chip in and we will probably get whatever is released.

first question, if say for example the new machines are released at WWDC, how long will it take to ship them? (this is probably the most important question). in terms of how long it takes to buy the G5, is it easier to buy at an apple store?

second, what price will these machines most likely be? we're aiming for $2,500-$3,000 tops. should that get a good beast? i also want to leave some room for RAM and a good video card.

i hope these new G5s ship fast because the deal will be altered depending on how long it takes for these things to ship. ("deal" will probably go through during the first week or two of june).

thanks for any advice.

-Indo

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Are you going to have to buy a display too? If not, you should definately have enough maney. I don't know how long it will take to ship. Usually after a product is announced it takes a few weeks to start shipping. Hopefully you get your order/preorder in early so you don't have to wait longer.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Any info you get here on release dates and shipping times will be pure speculation based on the past. No one knows when they will be released for sure, or how soon after that they will be shipping.

4. jjmaximum macrumors member

Historically speaking

When Apple upgrades machines, the prices stay pretty much the same as before but the machine gets faster/better. What that said, I would just look at a current configuration complete with video card/memory and whatever else you need and use that as an estimate for the cost of a better/faster upgraded machine to be released.

5. Indo thread starter macrumors member

that's what i was hoping for.

didn't SJ say new G5s by WWDC next year? or first half or something of the sort? i remember vaugely that he said something like that after saying sorry no dual 3GHz.

-Indo

6. Indo thread starter macrumors member

i may be in luck, i hope this new rumor is true.

-Indo