Sorting Sub-Folders in Finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vanilla, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Hi

Is there are way of setting Finder such that whenever a Folder being viewed contains a mix of sub-folders and other files that it ALWAYS sorts the Sub-Folders in alphabetical order FIRST, followed by the other files?

I was used to this in Microsoft Windows Explorer, so much so that I didn't even realise it until I switched to OS X and started using Finder. Its really irritating having to scroll through stuff to find a sub-folder.

The nearest I could find was to sort all folders "By Kind", which doesn't really help. As an example, in one folder I have a couple of sub-folders, PDF files and InDesign files. When I view the folder the PDF files are displayed first, followed by the sub-folders and then the InDesign files.

Can anyone offer a solution?
    Vanilla

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3. Vanilla thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you so much for this tip. I downloaded the app and have played with it this morning and it does exactly what I was seeking, plus a whole bunch more. I'm going to try it out further for a few days more but I think I will go ahead and purchase a licence.

Its a really neat product, I just hope for the sake of neatness (I do feel a little uncomfortable progressively adding a multitude of 3rd party products to the OS) that Apple upgrades Finder in the next release of the OS to match some of the PathFinder features, at the very least resolving the issue I have highlighted.

Once again, thank you for a really helpful tip.
    Vanilla

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You're quite welcome, I have dabbled with Path finder, and if I actually got to use my Mac more often, it would be the first app I would get that I don't already have.