SOS! burning cd problem..files disappeared

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevinuaa, Oct 25, 2004.

1. kevinuaa macrumors member

I am an improvident fool.
    I was compiling some research on a disk that i hadn't burned. after finishing, i went to burn the disk and it failed....the disk is now no longer on desktop. Where do these files go? they've got to be somewhere, right? can i recover them? help greatly appreciated.

2. kevinuaa thread starter macrumors member

would any third party software like disc warrior helP?

3. kevinuaa thread starter macrumors member

i found this. can anyone suggest if it means i should repair permissions or restore the harddrive? thanks, i'm sort of daft

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.asp?p=30243&seqNum=13
    Recover space after an interrupted burn. If a burn was interrupted, such as due to a power failure, run Disk Utility (from the Mac OS X Install CD), and repair the Mac OS X volume. This technique will reclaim disk space that was reserved for temporary files needed to burn the CD.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sadly, I think you're SOL. Repairing the volume will recover lost space, but I think your files are lost - I've tried putting in a blank CD, putting a huge file on it, and looking for something that big on my drive, and I can't find it. I'm not saying your files are gone, but I have no idea how you'd go about recovering them.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Unfortunately I don't have a blank CD around to test, but did you check for invisible files? I think it may show up in Temporary Items or something like that.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I searched for invisible ones.

I'm sure they files exist physically somewhere during the creation of the CD (duh... obviously), but I suspect that they might get deleted as soon as the burn completes or fails. While the CD is in, before it's burned, Terminal shows it as a mounted volume, so the secret storage location seems to be hidden by OS C itself - i.e., if you insert a blank CD, name it "test", and copy files to it, you'll see them under /Volumes/test - which is exactly how they look if you insert a CD named 'test' after you've burned it.

Magic, methinks.