SOTU VI - Revenge of the Union

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jan 23, 2007.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anyone wanna hazard a guess at the number of times Bush says "surge" tonight? Or how many times Bush will look to the Chamber for applause only to have it fall flat? Or a guess as to what this year's "switchgrass initiative" (ie. all hype, no action proposal) is?

Anyhoo... here's the place to discuss all things SOTU as it happens.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i think we already know that one:

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I thought a switchgrass initiative had to be out of left field. Kind of like hydrogen cars the year before.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

all right then: methane-driven dune buggies and tax breaks for acquiring the family cow.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's gonna be awesome, that's for sure. For the past 5 SOTU's, he received nothing but applause and a warm welcome from congress...now the only 2 schmucks cheering for him will be Lieberman and McCain. :D

And I found this rather humerous: http://www.drinkinggame.us/

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ummmm.... i suppose we're not going to hear, "the state of the union is strong"?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Maybe not, but we're seeing all of the other predictable bull****

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Did anybody catch that Bush called the terr'rists Sunni Muslims? Unbelievable. They were Shi'ites if I'm not mistaken. I think he said because Hussein was Sunni.

BTW- has anyone puked yet? I'm about to.

Ok, after some research, it looks like bin Laden was Sunni.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

About to....I shouldn't have eaten dinner while watching :D

10. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

And did he really start out the night with the perjorative "Democrat-led Congress"? Or did I just hear it wrong?

The smirk on Hillary's face is priceless. Cheney looks like his meds are really kicking in, Pelosi is reacting much faster to the applause lines.

The differences between the level of enthusiasm of applause is pretty striking too.

Oh lord, and that cutaway shot of Lieberman clapping for something while no other Democrats were was hilarious too. Same with the sour look on Tom Tancredo's face when Bush mentioned immigration.

I'm about 10 minutes behind live TV now, but I can't imagine this gets better for Bush...

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he snuck it in at the end. cheater.

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Also thought it was interesting how Bush spent time explaining the difference between Shia and Sunni Muslims. Although he did fail to mention Saudi Arabia as a Sunni sponsor, despite the fact that he most definitely did not forget that Iran is a sponsor of Shi'ite Muslims.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was working and couldn't see it. Were there any audible boos at anything Bush said? Did they sit in stone-faced silence? Did the cameras catch anything else embarrassing, like Michael J. Fox up in the visitors' gallery?

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Most of the first half of the speech was rhetoric, I almost laughed that he could even utter the words global warming after all his spin the past 6 years, or his talk about alternative energy when he has done near nothing but did give huge tax breaks to the Oil guys, or talking about being more conservative. This guy has lied so many times I just cant take anything he says as being honest anymore. I did enjoy Webbs speech and talk about how CEO's are hording all the profits and the workers are still getting shafted. I wish Webb was President. A real Hero. A real American. Bush/Cheney could learn what real leadership is from him.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You heard it wrong:

link

I thought he welcomed Pelosi in a very honorable way.

(unless he really didnt mean it ;) )

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought it was very good, as rebuttals go. Maybe even excellent.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i agree. i thought the "we'll show him the way" line was excellent.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You're not the only one that heard that. Olberman and Scarborough had a pretty funny exchange about it on MSNBC. He's done it before, as have several conservative pundits. Most people tend to not notice things like that consciously unless someone points it out.

Everyone seemed to think he seemed pretty confident... but no one was sure why given the obvious. Hasn't helped his case. Nor his numbers.

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, I heard it right. There was a difference in the prepared text and what the President actually said. If you read the speech you wouldn't get it, but it was a deliberate poke in the eye to the assembled Democrats from the divider-in-chief.

And it was noticed by more than just me.

It's unfortunate that Bush chose to start the night on a deliberately divisive note. Says a lot about the people who use that term.

The Democrats were extremely well behaved last night. I'm guessing Pelosi and Reid laid down the law to their members to not give the righty chattering class any opening to criticize the manners of the Democratic party.

Oh and I loved the line about medical decisions being between a doctor and a patient. He just forgot to add "unless I decide otherwise. And I'm the Decider."

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I'm really going to enjoy 2009 onward when the country is run exactly the same way by exactly the same people, but Bush won't be there to blame anymore. I think this next election is not so much for the next President, but the next scapegoat.

I could barely watch the speach with Pelosi sitting behind the President batting her eyes once a second. I felt a seizure coming on.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

His talking on the defecit was another joke he ran it higher then every president before him combined, he never once used his Veto pen on any spending bill the republicans put in front of him not a one and this hypocrit talks about lowering the defecit and balancing the budget 2 presidential terms from now? The guy is a hypocrit, a liar and is living in another reality. His talk with 911 and trying to tie Iraq to 911 is once again more spin. Does anyone really trust him with Healthcare? After giving the pharmacy companys everything they wanted in relation to medicare do we really want this liar handling our Nations Healthcare? I dont. New Orleans, we have a city thats a mess a American city and he didnt even mention it once. He stood there in front of our nation and continued the lies. Boldface lies. Lip service and still working for the corporations.

24. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Pelosi was a class act, her behaviour was impeccable. Good to see a measure of decorum introduced to the House.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I don't want the government involved in healthcare at all any more than I want them overseeing automotive care. Regulate and license, sure. Subsidize or pay for it, no.

Don't like the prices that pharmaceutical companies charge? Boycott their products. Somehow humans got along without synthetic drugs for thousands of years. Hurt them where it counts - in the pocketbook. They'll get the message and stop developing expensive drugs and stick to providing simple things like aspirin for cheap.

I don't know when New Orleans became a federal property, but thanks to the miracle of federalism a city is responsible for itself and then turns to the state it's in and then the federal government. What are the mayor and governor doing there to get the city going again?