Sould I get a new adapter?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dorqiekat, Aug 29, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Today, I just found two gashes on the wire on my ac adapter, the white covering has been cut through and shows the wiring and the wire is slightly severed as well. I'm guessing that it has been there for some time. It works, charges my computer without problems. Should I replace it? If I don't would it cause any problems to my PB?

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Where is the gash? On one of my AC adapters it was right were the cable joins the plug that goes into my iBook. It was started out being frayed, but after numerous taping attempts, it ended up hanging on by just the wire and the iBook didn't recognize it anymore.

That's my experience.

By the way, is it under warantee?

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I got the computer 2-3 weeks ago. So I assume so. Will it cover it? Can I just go to a apple store and get a new one? Or do I have to do paper work and all the junk. If it's going to take too long, I'd rather just buy one on ebay. But hey, if I can get it free through the warantee...

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've honestly never done it before (my AC adapter went south 2 years after I bought my PB.) I would think the receipt would be enough. To be sure, why don't you call the store where you got it and ask them what you need? I'm almost certain that under warantee they'll give you a new one. (...uhhh that is, if the item wasn't damaged due to misuse.)

5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Depends on how you define misues, the adapter was in my bag and the prongs dug into the wire and dug gashes into it. Don't ask me why I didn't just wrap the wire or folded the prongs in. Rush packing maybe? Hopefully they'll replace it.

Quick question though, if they do decide to replace it.. do I need to go the the apple store where I bought the PB from? I live 5 min away from one, but I bought mine somewhere else during school. ANd also, would they replace it on the spot? Or do I have to wait weeks to come. I don't have any power on my PB anymore. All drained.

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Again I'm guessing, but I think they can just chuck you one from the back. I doubt you'd have to wait for one to be ordered. As for going to the Apple Store, I think you go there instead of where you bought it. It is still under warantee afterall.

Anyone else? Back me up here?? :eek: :)

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

My adapter frayed a while ago. I called them up and they sent me a new one, without requiring the damaged one to be returned. Unless you actually wound the cord around the prongs, I doubt they'll have a problem with replacing it. Basically, for an adapter, it's a no questions asked replacement, since they are probably one of the cheapest service costs for them.

I had the adapter within two days, except I had one of the yoyo style adapters originally and they sent me the square model with neither a wall adapter or extension cord, even though I explicitly told them I had the old style, the extension cord of which would not work with the new adapters. So, they promptly sent me an extension cord, for the yoyo style adapters. So I had to call them again and say, no that's wrong I need the extension cord and wall adapter for the new power adapters. They finally sent me a wall adapter so I could at least plug it in, though they still didn't send me an extension cord (I've found that the extension cords for some electric razors, slow cookers, and hp printers make good substitutes). Amazingly, it took less than a week to work through all this

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If your iPod is over 90 days old, do they make you pay for the phone call if you didn't buy the iPod AppleCare?

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

are you close to an apple store? if so id just take it in and theyll probably replace it on the spot. my gf and her brother both had problems with their adapters for their old iBooks and they swapped it out at the store on the spot. the only thing they 'complained' about is that the technicians were ultra paranoid in asking questions if the power adapter had caused problems to any peronal property (like sparks flying out of it and catching yoru house on fire i guess) otherwise call apple and im sure they will be just as prompt in getting you a new adapter.

10. deeridiot macrumors newbie

iBook warranty experience

I'm guessing here that the iPod standard warranty works the same way as other Apple products. I called Apple a while back (before standard warranty ended, but after free phone support), and you only have to pay for calls that are software related. If it's something obviously hardware-related (like the power adapter) you should have no problem.

11. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called the apple store by my house and they said just bring it in and they'll determine if the problem is covered by the warrenty. They also said that they didn't need for me to bring the receipt so that'll save me the trip to my school.

12. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

the EXACT same thing happened to me.

Bring it to your local apple store, make sure you bring your computer too cause they will need your serial number from it.

They will replace it for free. Otherwise it's $80.

13. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

After waiting in line for about 2 hours, I finally got my new charger. Yay. All I took with me was the broken charger and they replaced it for me. No reciept, no computer, just the charger. Now, my powerbook is been charged up, and I can use it again! :D

THanks for all the help.

I know this was from another thread, but while I was there I asked about the stuck pixels. They said that what we've all known, that they don't replace the screen for just one errant pixel. YOu have to have a certain numer, I think it was mentioned in the forum. He asked me how old my computer was and commented that I was actually lucky, within the first week or two is when the stuck pixels are formed. Since it's been 3 weeks and only one annoying pixels, I shouldn't be expecting anymore. After talking about what color pixel he had, and the other guy had, and what color mine was, wishing we could trade... mine is green and it was his fav color. lol. THey advised to try rub it out and perhaps it will go away in time.

14. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs