Sound analysis

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Jan 16, 2007.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Hello all! I'm building a series-hybrid-electric vehicle at school, and I'm looking to analyze the exhaust noise to build an optimized muffler.

I'm all set to record with a flat response microphone, now I just need to figure out how to obtain a frequency spectrum of the sound to look for the dominant frequencies.
    I've figured out how to import a wav file into matlab and how to plot a fast fourier transform, but I'm not a hundred percent confident in my matlab skills, and was wondering if anyone knows of any good mac software i could use to double check my matlab results. It'd be awesome if GarageBand had something like this built in. Or if anybody's got any tips on how to do this with matlab, that'd be awesome.

All i really know about doing this with matlab was to import a .wav file into a matrix. And then use the fft comand on the matrix, and then plot the results.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Jeff

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There are several analysis apps out there. I've used iSpectrum for Amateur Radio. There's also SignalScope.

Amadeus Pro was just released [Universal Binary] and it has built-in analysis tools, including spectrum and sonogram. Been using Amadeus II for a while. Simple and powerful audio recording and editing.

3. jeffy.dee-lux thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Amadeus is perfect for what i need. I'll quote you in my report, gr8fly :D