Sound at Start Up!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Machead III, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Nov 4, 2002
    UK, France
    I know this will attract smart ass comments about my inexperiance but I would like to know how I can tell my iMac to play a short Mp3 upon start up. And if anyone knows any sweet start up screen sites that would be great :D

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Humm... well, you can't make it play it *right* at startup, but you might be able to get it to play after the computer's just finished starting up... you'll need to convert it to a "System 7 Sound" which plays when you double-click it, not in a special program... i dont know if this can be done in X, but it should still work through 9. You'll need a good audio converting program, search for one that can convert to System 7 sounds. then just stick it in StartUp Items.

okay, that was admittedly a bad explanation, but it's been a long time since i've done anything like this...

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    In OS 9 you could call it "startup movie" or "startupmovie" or some variation on that anyway, and put it int eh root level fo the system folder, and it would play as soon as the quicktime extension loaded. You could also do this with movie files. Pretty cool. I don't know if a similar ability is in X.

But it cannot replace the initial startup chime. That chime is hardcoded in to the boot rom and cannot be modified or turned off (though if you mute the volume before you shut down, it will mute the chime as well, so you can use applescripts to effectively turn off the chime and turn the sound back on after start up. Again, thats in 9, I don't know about X)
  4. sandro macrumors member

Nov 8, 2002
    San Francisco
    In OS X you still can't make it play right at start up but as soon as the computer is done stating up you can, by going to "System Preferences" then go to "Login Items" then click on add and find the song that you want, I used an mp3 file to test it and it worked, click on add and then check the check box next to the song name to hide it, that should do it.