Sound balance shifting

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by shakespeare, May 7, 2003.

1. shakespeare macrumors 6502

This is really annoying, and I can't figure out what's doing it. Is it iTunes 4?

After a few hours of using my beautiful new 17-inch PowerBook, the sound balance of my speakers shifts to the left or to the right. This isn't just perceived; I can open up the Sound Preference Pane and see exactly how much they've shifted. This has happened several times now. I am certain that a user isn't doing this; I'm the only one and I know better. What else could cause this? I hate having to open up that Preference Pane all the time to get normal sound!

2. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Me too:D

Sorry no help at all. It happens on my PB 15" but recently its been fine...

3. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Me too. I have a 17" FP iMac (800 mhz) and I have the same problem. I figured this was just me.

Hmm....

4. shakespeare thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow; it seems to be a problem with OS X, then. Let's all send bug reports!

5. homeshire macrumors regular

happened to me months ago on a G4 flat-panel. posted it at apple/discussions, and no one responded. hasn't happened in so long thought that i stopped worrying about it.

6. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Rare bug

The only time I have experienced this was when I tried playing the Virtual Grand Prix 2 demo. By the way, I installed OS X.2.6 on a 733 MHz Powermac at work and all day it was fine.

7. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

My iMac also suffers...

My Indigo iMac 500Mhz G3 gets this problem occasionally (maybe once every few weeks, after a restart or startup) My first thoughts are my external speakers have a dodgy connection (they're getting abit old and have been abused) but a quick visit to the Sound preference panel reveals all is not ok.

I've looked just now and its set itself about 1/3rd to the Right all by itself! What on earth is going on here? The bug was present for me in OS X 10.2.4 and still seems to be here in 10.2.6.

8. homeshire macrumors regular

so it got me to thinking, and i checked the sound pref. lordy, how it had shifted just somewhat to the right. if i hadn't thought about it, it probably wouldn't have happened. doggonit!:(