Sound Card Compatable with the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by freakonguitar, Aug 12, 2006.

hey,
    well I am looking into getting a MacPro. It is most likely going to be that seeing that the iMac probably won't contain the conroe core 2 duo and isn't really upgradeable at all. Since I would end up with a mac pro i would like to get it a 5.1 surround sound card. I currently have Logitech x-530 5.1 speakers hooked up in 2.1 configuration to my iBook and would like to make use of the 5.1 capabilities when i get a Mac Pro later this month most likely. So I was wondering what sound cards are compatable with the Mac Pro. If someone could post a few cards or maybe lead me in the right direction that would be a help :)

Thanks

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The X530 seems to be an budget analog 5.1 system. In which case the 5.1 digital passthrough of the Macs with digital outs won't do you any good.
    If you like the Logitechs, the best thing would probably be to upgrade to the Z-5500 and hook up the Mac to the speakers using optical cable.

3. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

I have wondered about that. Is there a sort of interface that will convert the digital optical audio output into 5.1 analog? I would rather keep the speakers I have instead of buying new speakers. Although it wouldn't be worth it if the interface was over 100 dollars. and back to the original question. Is there any sound cards made by for instance creative that are mac compatible and cheap?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Griffin makes the Firewave which is exactly $99.99 ;) In the circumstances I'd still recommend that you go for the 5500.

5. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

Welll i took a look at the Z5500. They look a bit too pricey for my budget. I plan on getting the macpro but don't have enough afterwards to be purchasing $350+ speakers. Thanks for the reminder of the GRiffin FireWave. I think i may get something like that instead. :)
    update:
    i found another mac compatible sound card. This one is internal and says its mac compatible so hopefully it will work. M-AUDIO REVOLUTION5.1 Pci Audi Card (MAC And PC) http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/multimedia.cfm?details=1&id=208&inv=100793#

Thanks for you help though. :D

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Sorry, that card won't work. It's a 'Conventional' PCI card, not a PCI Express card. (Big difference.) It would work in the 2.7 GHz G5 or earlier Power Mac (i.e. not the G5 Quad line,) and ironically it would even work in the Intel Xserve, if equipped with a PCI-X slot. But not in the Quad G5 (or it's slower dual-core cousins,) or the Mac Pro. They only have PCI Express (usually abbreviated PCIe) slots.

7. freakonguitar thread starter Guest

So basically there aren't currently any internal sound cards made for mac yet? just the firewire griffin firewave?

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

There aren't any PCI-e soundcards, period and even if they come out they won't be within your price range for a while. Your best bet for no-budget analog surround is the Firewave right now.